United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 17, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
Couple of days ago we received 75 USD for a 14 hours delay on a short international flight. Is it reasonable? Or should I write and ask for something more?

Thanks
Was an overnight stay required? Was it MX or WX? And were you 14hrs late arriving to your final or were you even later to your final? I am also assuming you were in Y with that amount.

I would say you could get at least $150 if the answer is no to all of the above if yes they should pay hotel and maybe get you more for that.
Old Jun 19, 17, 7:23 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
In the first phase it was weather.then they run out of crew and did not have one.so hotel provided after some fight.
late to destination around 15 hours.
Old Jun 19, 17, 8:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
In the first phase it was weather.then they run out of crew ....
Crew timing out due to weather generally is a non-compensated event. But sounds like after providing a overnight room, UA did provide a small "compensation" -- probably more related to the delay in finding a replacement crew. Perhaps if you pushed back you might get more but UA could reply the nexus was WX and say no more.
Old Jun 20, 17, 6:17 am

Recently I flew XXX-ORD-AMS-WAW with the first two legs on UA and the last on LO with a planned connection of 60 minutes in AMS. Flight leaves a bit late from ORD and we end up in AMS 30 minutes after schedule, I checked the status of my LO flight and it was also delayed 30 minutes, so I figured no big deal 60 minutes is plenty as I have easily gone through AMS immigration and to the next gate in 10-15 minutes.

For some reason UA had rebooked me on a KLM flight 4 hours and 10 minutes later, big sign for my connection at the end of the jetway and a representative there with rebooked flights. I said, well I have an hour to make my original flight so I'll just take that(as planned, as ticketed, as scheduled), the agent said, ok go try and see if that works (in my head I'm like why would it not, I already have the ticket IN MY HAND).

So I get to the LO gate before the plane had even unloaded yet. I asked the GA if the flight was fully booked, she said no, plenty of empty seats, then I asked her to reprint my BP (to make sure I was good to go). She said my ticket was cancelled by UA and couldn't reprint. I said, why would they do that without asking me or telling me they had done so? She immediately called up UA and asked them. UA said "well we thought you would miss your connection", which usually would mean they would "protect" me on a later flight, in this case they just straight up cancelled my ticket, then put me on another flight 4 hours and 10 minutes later. The LO agents were friendly/nice and helpful, though I then had to go back to non-Schengen zone to discuss further with UA ... had happened. UA basically said sorry here is a meal voucher for 15 euro. Gee thanks! I am a Star Gold member (avianca br) and also used krisflyer miles to book this ticket. My original 3 legs are on 618 stock but the KLM ticket on 016 (united). I used chase csr for taxes/fees.

In addition to the 15 euro voucher which I would value around 5 euros, I rec'd 947 delta points, which I would value around 9 euros.

Not sure if this falls under DOT or EU 261 and would love any guidance. Essentially, united delayed me 4:10 even though none of the flights I had scheduled/paid for would have delayed me if united hadn't gone "above and beyond" to cancel my flight.
Old Jun 20, 17, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
Not sure if this falls under DOT or EU 261 and would love any guidance.
Not EU261 and there is no DOT reg requiring passenger compensation for delays.

If you write to UA customer care, they might give you a few miles.

Honestly though, they were trying to do the right thing. Not sure I would complain personally.
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Not EU261 and there is no DOT reg requiring passenger compensation for delays.

If you write to UA customer care, they might give you a few miles.

Honestly though, they were trying to do the right thing. Not sure I would complain personally.

The right thing? If they had done NO-THING I would have been on time! I don't see this any differently than being bumped involuntarily. I paid for flight 123 was on time for flight 123, however was put on the "next convenient flight" only difference here is they "bumped" me for an empty seat, which I find to be ridiculous. If they had protected me on the next flight, sure that would have been the "right thing."

Not sure in what world its ok to involuntarily rebook someone and force them to be late 4:10 when that person is on time at the flight ready to board.
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
The right thing? If they had done NO-THING I would have been on time!
They thought you were going to misconnect due to the inbound delay. Someone was trying to help you with an advance rebooking. It likely cost UA more money to put you on KLM.

Not sure why you're so angry about it, seems completely out of proportion to what occurred.

No good deed unpunished, I guess.
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL FO, HH Gold, MR Gold
My original 3 legs are on 618 stock but the KLM ticket on 016 (united).
These legs were separately ticketed? I understand the frustration with the delay, but it sounds like you got above-and-beyond service from someone (UA? KLM?). You would not normally get protected or rebooked on separate tickets, so although with the benefit of hindsight (relative to when they did the rebooking) you wound up worse off than if they'd just let it be, it sounds like they were trying to do the right thing.
Old Jun 20, 17, 4:27 pm

I agree with OP here, with a ~30m delay, their onward connection should not have been cancelled until the flight departed without them on board, or the flight was closing and the inbound hadn't landed. (Not as a matter of law / CoC, but as a matter of the correct thing to do for the customer). Even if their onward flight had not been delayed, it is totally possible the connection could have been made. Especially given that it does not appear that they needed those seats for other passengers from earlier misconnects, not sure why they rebooked OP instead of protecting them on a later flight.

There is a little bit of too-many-parties-involved here. OP gave their money to SQ, but SQ didn't touch the reservation. UA was responsible for their rebooking as the late delivering carrier, and did, but not in a way OP liked. LO was willing to let them on the flight but not without a ticket. KL operated their flight on time and didn't do anything wrong.

I wonder if it would have been possible to buy a walk-up fare on the LO flight and receive a refund on the involuntarily cancelled AMS-WAW leg. If there was a $50-$100 customer service gesture thrown in might have come out even, depending on the fare breakdown of the original ticket.

Last edited by threeoh; Jun 21, 17 at 5:08 pm
Old Jun 21, 17, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by PVDProf View Post
These legs were separately ticketed? I understand the frustration with the delay, but it sounds like you got above-and-beyond service from someone (UA? KLM?). You would not normally get protected or rebooked on separate tickets, so although with the benefit of hindsight (relative to when they did the rebooking) you wound up worse off than if they'd just let it be, it sounds like they were trying to do the right thing.
3 legs were a part of 1 ticket, 1 pnr, 1 award reservation. NOT separate tickets.
Old Jun 21, 17, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
I agree with OP here, with a ~30m delay, their onward connection should not have been cancelled until the flight departed without them on board, or the flight was closing and the inbound hadn't landed. (Not as a matter of law / CoC, but as a matter of the correct thing to do for the customer). Even if their onward flight had not been delayed, it is totally possible the connection could have been made. Especially given that it does not appear that they needed those seats for other passengers from earlier misconnects, not sure why they rebooked OP instead of protecting then on a later flight.

There is a little bit of too-many-parties-involved here. OP gave their money to SQ, but SQ didn't touch the reservation. UA was responsible for their rebooking as the late delivering carrier, and did, but not in a way OP liked. LO was willing to let them on the flight but not without a ticket. KL operated their flight on time and didn't do anything wrong.

I wonder if it would have been possible to buy a walk-up fare on the LO flight and receive a refund on the involuntarily cancelled AMS-WAW leg. If there was a $50-$100 customer service gesture thrown in might have come out even, depending on the fare breakdown of the original ticket.
I should also mention I asked to be put on the direct LO flight ord-waw which was leaving some 3 hours later but would have had me in at a similar time (the purser allowed me to walk up the jetway ~45 min into the delay to discuss with GA.) UA at this point said the time would be made up in flight and my connect would be fine (they were mostly correct, however someone had cancelled my connection flight even though I physically made it there).
Old Jun 21, 17, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
The Great Munoz Con

I was a small part player today in an adventure from RDU to EWR which included a 6 hour delay for MX and a mid flight auto cabin pressure failure (no ox masks) but involved some quick descending, speed reductions and several hours post flight ear discomfort.On landing and a further 20 mins driving around the hell hole that is EWR,I deplaned with a new found friend who proudly showed me an email he received while onboard from the UA customer recovery unit, apologizing for the day and attaching a compensatory e cert. I must admit we were both impressed until he made the mistake of opening it to see he had been awarded the princely sum of $125 after which a significant mood change occurred as he computed how much UA valued his decades of premium flying and time.
Now I know we had issues with Jeffy but in his day that would have been at least $250. Fair play to Munoz smiling seems work wonders but in real terms of achievements from a passenger perspective to date....

Continued devaluation of MP - check
Devaluation of compensation - Check
Continued mediocrity of J Product and the bust that is Polaris-Check
Worse public perception of UA - check
One upping Jeffy and getting the snot beaten out of someone on social media-check
A smile really does go a long way

Boy does this industry need some real competition
Old Jun 21, 17, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
how much did you receive as GS?
Old Jun 21, 17, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds like Republic 3482: made it to 20,000 ft, normal descent to 15,000 ft, cruised the rest of the way up at that altitude, 21 min taxi in.
Old Jun 21, 17, 9:54 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
In the first phase it was weather.then they run out of crew and did not have one.so hotel provided after some fight.
late to destination around 15 hours.
Does it make any sense to try to fight for a better compensation after receiving the automated compensation email giving 75 usd for a 14 hour flight delay?is that even possible?

Search this Thread