Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Quick question regarding compensation...I recently booked/flew a United TATL flight in which we were booked in an aisle and window seat. After boarding was completed, there was no passenger in the middle seat. I moved over into the middle seat (from the aisle) before leaving the gate, but the seat would not stay in the "full upright position" even though I wasn't pressing the recline button, and was barely putting any pressure on the seat. I notified the flight attendant, and she said she would make a note of it for maintenance, and asked if I would just move to the aisle seat for takeoff/landing since the recline button seemed to be broken. Is it worth emailing customer service to check with them?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Quick question regarding compensation...I recently booked/flew a United TATL flight in which we were booked in an aisle and window seat. After boarding was completed, there was no passenger in the middle seat. I moved over into the middle seat (from the aisle) before leaving the gate, but the seat would not stay in the "full upright position" even though I wasn't pressing the recline button, and was barely putting any pressure on the seat. I notified the flight attendant, and she said she would make a note of it for maintenance, and asked if I would just move to the aisle seat for takeoff/landing since the recline button seemed to be broken. Is it worth emailing customer service to check with them?
Probably worth sending an email, phrased as an FYI for the maintenance staff to check it out. They might provide you something as a thanks, but I wouldn't expect much... Most seat compensation is for the opposite case- where you are forced to remain upright for the entire flight.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Most seat compensation is for the opposite case- where you are forced to remain upright for the entire flight.
Yeah, I realize that...though it seems that it's more of a safety item if the seat won't remain upright, right? I'm curious what would have happened if the flight had been more full, and I was actually assigned in that seat. Would I have been allowed to sit there, or would they have moved me somewhere else?

How do I actually email customer service? Or do I fill out the online form at united.com/appreciation?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yesterday YYC - ORD

Purchased direct TV, but only movies worked even when over the USA (which is like 3/4 of the flight). Received a $150 travel certificate today!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:14 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
The seat that had an issue wasn't yours, so I wouldn't expect any comp.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by helvetic
Exactly!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Exactly!
Not to mention, if I'd complained every time I sat in a self-reclining seat on UA, I undoubtedly would have been kicked out of the program by now. That's basically half the F seats in their 737/738 fleet.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Travelling with family we were issued like 5 certificates of smaller value.
Is there any way to cummulate the value in one single certificate if calling MileagePlus Team? Has anybody succeded in such an intent?
Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:11 am

DFW-ORD yesterday
non working power outlet in E+.

Sent "FYI for their maintenance crew", received 3,750 mi as apology/thank you.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Travelling with family we were issued like 5 certificates of smaller value.
Is there any way to cummulate the value in one single certificate if calling MileagePlus Team? Has anybody succeded in such an intent?
Thanks
Not likely. Chances are if you had been traveling alone, you would have gotten only one all value certificate, so UA isn't likely to allow it.

You *can* use multiple certificates when you book​ multiple pax on a single reservation, though.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
IMO UA has been much more stingy in their passing out of compensation as opposed to like 2010-2014 timeframe. I used to get something for at least half my flights it seemed. Delayed bags, no working seat/audio/etc., seat malfunctions. In the last 2 years I think I have emailed maybe 3 times for what I thought were legit issues and just 1 out of the 3 did I get something (150 ETC). This has been a topic of my UA elite friends and colleagues as well. So while it is good to weed out the serial complainers, sending a thank you for your loyalty and apologies for your inconvenience more often than not isn't ideal either.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
IFE was broken on UA110 EWR-LHR last Tuesday (6/13). I never plan to use it on the old 767s with the tiny crappy screens anyway, but I felt pretty bad for everyone who boarded without other plans only to discover that not only was there no IFE but the alternative "personal device entertainment" wasn't really realistic given the lack of outlets in Economy. Also felt bad for the flight attendants who had to put up with a lot of complaining about something they couldn't do anything about, but it would be nice if United could do some kind of automated notification to passengers long enough prior to boarding that people could pick up magazines, books, etc. By landing, I had an email offering 8750 miles or, I think, $150 ETC (as always I took the miles).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dc89
IFE was broken on UA110 EWR-LHR last Tuesday (6/13). I never plan to use it on the old 767s with the tiny crappy screens anyway, but I felt pretty bad for everyone who boarded without other plans only to discover that not only was there no IFE but the alternative "personal device entertainment" wasn't really realistic given the lack of outlets in Economy. Also felt bad for the flight attendants who had to put up with a lot of complaining about something they couldn't do anything about, but it would be nice if United could do some kind of automated notification to passengers long enough prior to boarding that people could pick up magazines, books, etc. By landing, I had an email offering 8750 miles or, I think, $150 ETC (as always I took the miles).
While I think they have systems in place to notify everyone on a particular flight, I believe they don't do this because it adds more work and because it is possible that an airframe is swapped out at the last minute.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dc89
...8750 miles or, I think, $150 ETC...
Would have been 8750 miles/$175 ETC, or 7500 miles/$150 ETC. I'm pretty sure it's always a 50:1 ratio.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Couple of days ago we received 75 USD for a 14 hours delay on a short international flight. Is it reasonable? Or should I write and ask for something more?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.