Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by msg75
$200 for me
$350 for her

Identical status and comments submitted.
why UA...

I've never had an issue with UA matching what someone else got for the same incident, so you should be able to get $350 each.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have had both happen to me before.

For bad IFE, I got a $200- TC.
For a non-functioning seat, I got a $800- TC.

You deserve more, don't accept what they have offered.
Thank you everyone for your input. After exhaustive back and forth, they settled on $1000 ETC. I still think it's low given UA knew about the issue prior to me boarding, but reading all the input from all of you I decided to take it. Spending more time on it for a few more $$$ or miles didn't make sense.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sm5486
Thank you everyone for your input. After exhaustive back and forth, they settled on $1000 ETC.
That's about the highest I've ever seen reported here.

Nicely done.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
"A mistake with catering" so no food at all DFW-LAX in FC, no snack boxes, no nuts, nothing. We were informed as we were boarding, so no time to grab something. AND no apologies whatsoever. I'm frankly surprised not to have a Customer Appreciation email waiting for me when I arrived (like the old days). What should I expect?
Old May 17, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by chavala
"A mistake with catering" so no food at all DFW-LAX in FC, no snack boxes, no nuts, nothing. We were informed as we were boarding, so no time to grab something. AND no apologies whatsoever. I'm frankly surprised not to have a Customer Appreciation email waiting for me when I arrived (like the old days). What should I expect?
i got $50 (1K), my friend got $50 (no status) when this happened to us in F MSY-IAD.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:37 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Have we ever heard of someone being banned for complaining too much?
Old May 18, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
Have we ever heard of someone being banned for complaining too much?
Up In The Air: Meet The Man Who Flies Around The World For Free.

And also, Northwest,
Inc. v. Ginsberg.
Where the Supreme Court affirmed NW's right to ban a frequent complainer.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:03 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee

And also, Northwest,
Inc. v. Ginsberg.
I'm not sure why people keep saying that Ben got banned for frequent complaining… that is not the case. He got banned for re-using the same ETCs on multiple bookings and exploiting a bug in the program, thus breaking its T&Cs.

The Supreme Court filing is interesting; and I don't doubt UA would be within its legal rights to terminate membership. That said, my question was whether there's ever been a report of United (not Northwest, a defunct airline) banning one of its members for frequently complaining.

Last edited by helvetic; May 19, 2017 at 12:09 am
Old May 19, 2017, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm not sure why people keep saying that Ben got banned for frequent complaining…
Perhaps because that's what Lucky tells the world:

in April 2011, he received a certified letter from United, cheerily informing him that because he had taken advantage of the system his frequent-flyer account was permanently suspended. He was banned from flying, he recalls the letter saying, unless he paid the company $4,755 — the amount it claimed as losses through Schlappig's techniques.

"I mean, how do you define 'taking advantage of'?" Schlappig asks, passing a hand towel back to a doting attendant as we fly over the South China Sea. "Was I seriously inconvenienced to the tune of $200 every time my audio wasn't working? No. But they create the system."
Old May 19, 2017, 12:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee

And also, Northwest,
Inc. v. Ginsberg.
Plus these oldies
Help! My Mileage Plus Account Got Audited

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-too-much.html

What is common among these is very excessive complaints -- verging complaining about something on every flight. the 1-2-3-... times a year is not going to be an issue.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Plus these oldies
Help! My Mileage Plus Account Got Audited

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-too-much.html

What is common among these is very excessive complaints -- verging complaining about something on every flight. the 1-2-3-... times a year is not going to be an issue.
Thanks for bringing us on point!

There was a great piece by John Ollila just a few days ago about Hilton banning an excessive complainer. Compensation Clinic Disaster - How to Get Your Accounts Closed. The best part was the closing sentence in Hilton's "you're fired" letter:

Based on the amount of compensation that has been extended to you against the total revenue spent at our hotels, we ask that you seek accommodations at another hotel chain as it is clear that we are unable to meet your expectations.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:56 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
$150 ETC from 1K Voice for 2 hour MX delay and inoperable entertainment (DTV) on my ORD > LAS flight earlier this week.

Received response in roughly 36 hours. E-cert about 24 hours after that.

Last edited by LIH; May 22, 2017 at 5:23 am Reason: Answering question below.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:58 pm

Approx how long did it take United Customer Service to answer you?
Old May 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Teton Cowgirl
Approx how long did it take United Customer Service to answer you?
Depends on your status. If you write in via the website you get a confirmation email that a they received your request within an hour or so. I typically get a reply with an answer to my query within a day or so after that, if it was related to past travel. Best of luck..
Old May 22, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
My brother is UA silver and was denied an E+ seat on UA128 from GIG-IAH.

Plenty of E+ Seats avail including a full row. Would United compensate for this if he wrote in to CS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.