Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Flights to Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

How does one go about booking a flight to Santorini? I know I have to go via Athens but when I do Santorini nothing populates. Do I have to do the Athens to Santorini leg separately?

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Aegean only opens their award seats a few months in advance. There are Saturday or once per week flights from some other European cities, Vienna is one.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
whenever Mrs CALMSP and I book via points to JTR, we only book to ATH, then purchase a separate ticket on A3 ATH-JTR. Cheap tickets as it is, so hopefully that would work for you.

*added*of course now that LH is flying in, possible finding an award through MUC?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Good luck - I'm going this May and found zero availability to JTR on any day on virtually any alliance (I saw one or two odd LHR - JTR - LHR flights on BA but then you are dealing with BA $cam charges which are about the same as just buying XYZ European City - JTR flight).

We have a wedding in Cambridge first so our award ticket over is to LHR. We then separately bought a cheap LHR - ATH - JTR A3 flight (using OTA were even able to make that into a 20 hour layover in ATH since the girlfriend has never been and wants to see Acropolis) - cost $118/person + 30euro bag fee. There are a ton of flights between ATH - JTR, most on Olympic Air Q400s but a couple on A3 mainline A320/A321s (we're on an A320).

To get home the only feasible thing with an award was to buy a cheap (72 euro/person with checked bag included) Vueling flight JTR - FCO and then we pick up our award flight home from FCO. I would recommend doing something similar - award flight to major European city (including ATH if available) connecting to cheap LCC (or Aegean) for the a paid ticket to JTR.

Aegean flights for the most part are cheap but the schedule release is annoying so you have to sit on it a bit. Vueling and easyJet also have a number of cheap direct flights to big European cities. Thomas Cook and Condor also fly direct from a few cities as well so don't overlook those options (in addition to the legacy options).

FWIW, my award flights for our trip ended up being booked on all DL metal with DL/FB miles due to better saver availability than UA/*A.

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 4, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
All flights leaving ATH to the Greek Islands are operated under an Olympic Airways flight number, hence they'll never show up on any *A search tools, as OA is not part of the *A. They are flown on A3 A/C, but not under A3 flight number.

If you go to A3 website, you'll find plenty of cheap flights to the islands.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
we went to Santorini in summer of 2015 as a family of 10 on an open jaw mileage award tickets EWR-GVA-ATH and BOS-MUC-ATH returning JTR-ATH-YUL-EWR on Air Canada. On the way out, we overnighted in ATH (to see the Acropolis) and the next morning took Blue Line Ferry to Naxos for a few days and then on to Santorini. Flying back, as others have said, JTR didn't open their FF flights until a few months before....so we booked everything else and added JTR-ATH in later. That could be a problem with a revenue ticket though. And to procure enough seats JTR-ATH, we flew out on three different late afternoon flights.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Super Larry
All flights leaving ATH to the Greek Islands are operated under an Olympic Airways flight number, hence they'll never show up on any *A search tools, as OA is not part of the *A. They are flown on A3 A/C, but not under A3 flight number.

If you go to A3 website, you'll find plenty of cheap flights to the islands.
Since when? This has not been my experience.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by hughw
we went to Santorini in summer of 2015 as a family of 10 on an open jaw mileage award tickets EWR-GVA-ATH and BOS-MUC-ATH returning JTR-ATH-YUL-EWR on Air Canada. On the way out, we overnighted in ATH (to see the Acropolis) and the next morning took Blue Line Ferry to Naxos for a few days and then on to Santorini. Flying back, as others have said, JTR didn't open their FF flights until a few months before....so we booked everything else and added JTR-ATH in later. That could be a problem with a revenue ticket though. And to procure enough seats JTR-ATH, we flew out on three different late afternoon flights.
one member of our family actually flew SFO-EWR-GVA-ATH, returning JTR-ATH-YUL-EWR-SFO for 60,000 miles RT
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: points traveller
has anyone been able to book JTR-ATH using united miles? website seems to hang, but Aegean fly that route so presume it is possible - do i need to call?

would JTR-(ATH)-LHR be the same cost as an ATH-LHR using miles?

TIA

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 2018 at 11:04 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
would JTR-(ATH)-LHR be the same cost as an ATH-LHR using miles?
Yes.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
has anyone been able to book JTR-ATH using united miles? website seems to hang, but Aegean fly that route so presume it is possible - do i need to call?
I don't believe you can book ATH-JTR as a UA award. See this thread:

Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
A few years ago I flew EWR-MXP-JMK with the MXP-JMK on EasyJet - I think they have a mini hub there. I think they might have flights to Santorini when I last checked. Also flying ATH to the islands in high season is still pretty inexpensive, so if you know your dates I would check out Aegean. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Flying into FCO is also an option. Vueling flies FCO-JTR every day except Friday (I believe). Obviously can’t get it all on one award/ticket, so I’m spending 2 nights in Rome. ATH is another (obvious) stoping point.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:13 am

See my post #6
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:24 pm

There are many seasonal options from Europe to Santorini - Just find the cheapest and most convenient. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santor...tional_Airport

The shortest is not always the cheapest - especially when you include fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.