Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LOT Polish Airlines (LO) award booking experiences, phantom inventory, ...

LOT Polish Airlines (LO) award booking experiences, phantom inventory, ...

Old Jan 3, 17, 6:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: UA GS (1.7MM)
Posts: 36
LOT Polish Airlines (LO) award booking experiences, phantom inventory, ...

I tried to ticket a Saver Award today. After getting a confirm, I was told that LOT did not make award inventory available....not sure why United confirmed it, but......

Does anyone know of a way to use United miles directly with LOT to ticket an award flight?

Thanks!
Dan
dsilvers is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 6:52 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 42,980
Originally Posted by dsilvers View Post
Does anyone know of a way to use United miles directly with LOT to ticket an award flight?
Can't be done.

But I would give it a little time and try again . . . the "phantom availability" you ran into is often a signal that the carrier is about to open award availability to UA.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:55 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,183
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
the "phantom availability" you ran into is often a signal that the carrier is about to open award availability to UA.
Hahahahahahahahah.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

No. No indication a given phantom availability will ever become real.
mduell is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:56 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 42,980
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Hahahahahahahahah.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

No. No indication a given phantom availability will ever become real.
You're wrong. It is absolutely an indicator with LH Group.

I gave this same advice earlier this year, and the poster wound up scoring exactly the LH space that had showed as "phantom" a day earlier. Award Flight Booking Error.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 3, 17 at 8:39 pm Reason: added link
Kacee is offline  
Old May 14, 17, 3:34 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX / BUR
Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Posts: 1,164
LOT availability was mucking up almost every flight option showing on UA.com right now (TLV-LAX). I can see *A available award space using other engines, but UA no longer shows everything. So, the only options showing were TLV={WAW; IST-WAW; xxx-WAW}-LAX. But none of the WAW-LAX legs would ticket. So, ua.com thinks WAW-LAX is what it wants me to take, no matter how many legs it takes to get to WAW, but it won't ticket. Agent said she sees a red marker, but I don't on ua.com. She went away, tried to firm it up, couldn't.

Instead, I asked her to check the following day, and she found availability on another carrier, even though I couldn't see that as an option on ua.com, and waived the phone fee. Go figure. Problem solved thanks to a fantastic agent who worked very patiently to figure out a solution.

She mentioned that LOT stuff often causes issues like this.
abaheti is offline  
Old Jun 27, 17, 10:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DFW
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 417
Still having this problem. UA and ANA websites show a business award from ORD-WAW that I'm trying to snag in December. I've tried a few days now to grab it, but UA can't ticket it despite it showing on the website and being seen on ANA's website.

Hoping it's the phantom indicator of soon-to-be-released space that Kacee alluded to in January.

Anyone else have any other recent, anecdotal experience?
SMFlagg is offline  
Old Jun 27, 17, 11:00 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 42,980
Originally Posted by SMFlagg View Post
Hoping it's the phantom indicator of soon-to-be-released space that Kacee alluded to in January.
I think it's probably just phantom (based on length of time showing). Been a real problem with LX lately, too.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,111
I'm having the same problem ORD-WAW. UA and NH show availability, but when I call UA can't ticket. Been occurring on the same travel date for a couple of weeks now.
Catbert10 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 4:44 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 6,748
I try to fly EWR-VIE and they will only put me on LO!
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 5:34 pm
  #10  
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 12,792
Question

Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
I'm having the same problem ORD-WAW. UA and NH show availability, but when I call UA can't ticket. Been occurring on the same travel date for a couple of weeks now.
What's the flight #/date?
KVS is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 6:31 pm
  #11  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 48,878
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
I'm having the same problem ORD-WAW. UA and NH show availability, but when I call UA can't ticket. Been occurring on the same travel date for a couple of weeks now.
Hard to tell form this alone, but that appears to be a common problem discussed at length in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lp-2017-a.html -- UA not showing a routing alternative even with availability on both segments. There is little that can be done (a very few have been success get the agent to contact the pricing desk but appears agents have been told not to do that -- happens too often ???)
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 2:28 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA, AS, IHG
Posts: 10
Any hope of help for "not confirmed" award ticket?

After wasting many hours already, I fear I know the answer, but maybe someone here has a suggestion?

So, I transferred many 1000s of points from UR to UA today to buy a biz *A award ticket to Europe (specifically, LAX-WAW-KRK on LO in I). After completing the purchase and getting a confirmation number, I got a message that the flight was confirmed but could not be ticketed. UA reps now tell me that the flight isn't really available (and, in fact, that *none* of the listed flights between LAX and anywhere in W. Europe in biz during the week I intended to travel are really available).

Has anybody here managed to get any reasonable help for a situation like this? If so, any suggestions for how to get not-useless responses?

Or am I just stuck?

On a related note, for the future, is there any guidance on how to tell which flights advertised are likely to be fake, so that I don't get taken in again? This is the second time this has happened to me (though the last time, I was able to quickly find a replacement not-fake flight and ended up OK.
shelanman is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 11:56 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Posts: 2,139
Originally Posted by shelanman View Post
After wasting many hours already, I fear I know the answer, but maybe someone here has a suggestion?

So, I transferred many 1000s of points from UR to UA today to buy a biz *A award ticket to Europe (specifically, LAX-WAW-KRK on LO in I). After completing the purchase and getting a confirmation number, I got a message that the flight was confirmed but could not be ticketed. UA reps now tell me that the flight isn't really available (and, in fact, that *none* of the listed flights between LAX and anywhere in W. Europe in biz during the week I intended to travel are really available).

Has anybody here managed to get any reasonable help for a situation like this? If so, any suggestions for how to get not-useless responses?

Or am I just stuck?

On a related note, for the future, is there any guidance on how to tell which flights advertised are likely to be fake, so that I don't get taken in again? This is the second time this has happened to me (though the last time, I was able to quickly find a replacement not-fake flight and ended up OK.
Usually when I book non UA metal on an 016 ticket I get a warning that United needs to confirm space availability. This is on paid tickets so perhaps they do not provide the same caveat for award tickets. I have booked award tickets through UA but am not sure if I remember the message appearing.

I do know I recently tried to book 016 tickets on non UA metal and they error out as the inventory is not really avaliable. Ended up buying directly with another sirline.

Is there a fee to transfer the points back (please excuse my ignorance as I do not transfer points)? Is it possible to book directly with LO using points or do you need a combination of your MP points and the points you transferred?

I will be interested in the suggestions of others more experienced in this area as it is frustrating at times.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 12:12 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: UA, AS, IHG
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Usually when I book non UA metal on an 016 ticket I get a warning that United needs to confirm space availability. This is on paid tickets so perhaps they do not provide the same caveat for award tickets. I have booked award tickets through UA but am not sure if I remember the message appearing.

I do know I recently tried to book 016 tickets on non UA metal and they error out as the inventory is not really avaliable. Ended up buying directly with another sirline.

Is there a fee to transfer the points back (please excuse my ignorance as I do not transfer points)? Is it possible to book directly with LO using points or do you need a combination of your MP points and the points you transferred?

I will be interested in the suggestions of others more experienced in this area as it is frustrating at times.
I used some MP I already had, plus the UR. There is no way at all to transfer the points back. Even if there was, though, I have no way to produce Miles&More points to buy direct with LOT (other than maybe buying them for cash, which is going to be a bad value if it's even doable)

What ends up being the fate of these not-ticketed tickets? (Mine has other segments that seem to have actually booked?) Will anything bad happen to me if I just keep remaking the booking every day until it either tickets or else disappears from UA site (other than that I'll become grumpy from wasting so much time)?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 18 at 1:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
shelanman is offline  
Old Oct 4, 18, 8:31 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CLE
Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Posts: 1,047
Is LO phantom availability something common? I've run into OS issues before, but they usually error out during booking. I booked an award in I this morning including a segment on LO, got the first email, but then when it didn't ticket by this afternoon, I called. I was told LO got back to them that there is no availability in I. The flight is still bookable on united.com
gusd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: