Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 97gst
Can I volunteer and then deny if they propose a crummy reroute itinerary? How rich are the offers to give up lie flat J seats, specifically for long flights out of HNL?

I've heard the old "we don't guarantee the type of seat, only the class fare" thing before when they swap out planes, but wasn't sure how that plays out on VDB.
Yes, you can absolutely turn down a VDB re-route if you don't like it. Or, you can do what I do, which is find an open seat that you want before you go up to the counter, and then ask specifically for it. "I'd be willing to volunteer if you can put me on the non-stop in first," for example.

As a general policy, UA won't oversell premium cabin space, so the chance that you'll be able to VDB out of it is fairly small. You can still volunteer your J seat if Y is oversold, and it doesn't change anything about what you can ask for, but it's a little more work for the agent and they may prefer to take a volunteer from Y. Also, they will prioritize someone who doesn't require a hotel voucher over someone who does, so a local HNL resident has a leg up.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:45 am

Ah, I didn't realize they didn't oversell J the same way.

I was hoping Mr Moneybags from Texas was going to offer me a few bags of cash for my seat to help subsidize my vacation.

Guess I'll just enjoy my seat!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
IAD-ORD oversold today. Looking for 2 volunteers. Started offer at $500 and moved to $800 30 seconds later. Several jumped then. In the end, only needed one. Getting to my final 1 hour later.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by HKBelonger
IAD-ORD oversold today. Looking for 2 volunteers. Started offer at $500 and moved to $800 30 seconds later. Several jumped then. In the end, only needed one. Getting to my final 1 hour later.
$800? Nice score! For just an hour.. Well played.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
UA881 (ORD-NRT) on 11/10. Oversold C by 3~4 due to needing seats for crew rest (flight was delayed). Offering $2000 travel voucher + refund of fare difference to take Y.

No takers and they ended up force downgrading based on those filing on FF tickets and by status. I didn't stick around GA to hear what they finally had to compensate.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
UA881 (ORD-NRT) on 11/10. Oversold C by 3~4 due to needing seats for crew rest (flight was delayed). Offering $2000 travel voucher + refund of fare difference to take Y.

No takers and they ended up force downgrading based on those filing on FF tickets and by status. I didn't stick around GA to hear what they finally had to compensate.
Copied this straight out of the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html forum for downgrades on United flights. Looks like there is no cash payout like IDB. $2000 TCVA is a good deal in my opinion, and more than what they give typically.

-----------------------------------------------

It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
First time playing the VDB Lottery today and I won a prize -- well, not the grand prize, but a prize nonetheless.

Today I was scheduled to fly IAH-UA1945-EWR-UX4006-DCA.

After stuffing my face with BBQ Brisket for lunch in one of IAH Terminal C's many eateries, I pulled up my flight status to see a full seat map and 51 people attempting standby for my A320 UA1945 flight. So I walk on over to the gate -- as soon as the GAs arrive to start working the flight, an hour before departure and before the aircraft arrived -- and ask if they will need any volunteers for today's flight, explaining that I am fine with anything that gets me to DCA, IAD or BWI before start of work tomorrow.

The GA was able to put me on an IAH-DCA nonstop leaving 4 minutes before UA1945, and upgraded me to Economy Plus. (This flight was a standard award when I booked months ago; the original itinerary was saver space).

I am currently typing this from the comfort of my own home outside DC, nearly two hours before my original itinerary would have had me landing at DCA.

So no massive voucher, but a much better evening for me.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aoumd
First time playing the VDB Lottery today and I won a prize -- well, not the grand prize, but a prize nonetheless.

Today I was scheduled to fly IAH-UA1945-EWR-UX4006-DCA.

After stuffing my face with BBQ Brisket for lunch in one of IAH Terminal C's many eateries, I pulled up my flight status to see a full seat map and 51 people attempting standby for my A320 UA1945 flight. So I walk on over to the gate -- as soon as the GAs arrive to start working the flight, an hour before departure and before the aircraft arrived -- and ask if they will need any volunteers for today's flight, explaining that I am fine with anything that gets me to DCA, IAD or BWI before start of work tomorrow.

The GA was able to put me on an IAH-DCA nonstop leaving 4 minutes before UA1945, and upgraded me to Economy Plus. (This flight was a standard award when I booked months ago; the original itinerary was saver space).

I am currently typing this from the comfort of my own home outside DC, nearly two hours before my original itinerary would have had me landing at DCA.

So no massive voucher, but a much better evening for me.
Good for you! So any voucher or no voucher?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Good for you! So any voucher or no voucher?
thanks. No voucher.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
thanks. No voucher.
I notice in many oversell situations the gate agents call people with connecting flights to see if they would like to take a nonstop instead and get home earlier. Typically they open up a few seats that way..i've never seen them offer any money either. So in your particular case you we're happy with what you had received
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Plat
thanks. No voucher.
No voucher!?! You did UA a big favor!

I once VDB'd off LAX-BWI to LAX-ORD-DCA and got a small cert ($150 I think) for my troubles. At the time I asked for more but the GA astutely said "you're getting in within an hour of orig." He was very sharp. Of course, the other GAs didn't believe UA serviced DCA

Do you know what caused the huge SBY list? Looks like all flights went out relatively on time. And they cleared 3 ppl off SBY so they probably didn't need you. And btw E+ is not an upgrade (although it is a nice freebee)!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
No voucher!?! You did UA a big favor!

I once VDB'd off LAX-BWI to LAX-ORD-DCA and got a small cert ($150 I think) for my troubles. At the time I asked for more but the GA astutely said "you're getting in within an hour of orig." He was very sharp. Of course, the other GAs didn't believe UA serviced DCA

Do you know what caused the huge SBY list? Looks like all flights went out relatively on time. And they cleared 3 ppl off SBY so they probably didn't need you. And btw E+ is not an upgrade (although it is a nice freebee)!
i got in 3 hours earlier than I otherwise would have, going nonstop vs. one stop, so the reverse of your situation.

No idea why so many standbys.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat
i got in 3 hours earlier than I otherwise would have, going nonstop vs. one stop, so the reverse of your situation.
Good point!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA1845 SFO-DEN.. oversold by several. Offered $700. The LAZY gate agent wouldn't take my wife and I because we were in first class (cheap seats in Y that were upgraded).... and first was not oversold. I told the gate agent that I have done this many times, but she refused to even consider it and sent me away. Another lame b.s. showing of United gate agents. Have had a couple groups of pitiful, lazy agents lately.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:47 pm

Flight bump options

Currently in Costa Rica, wife and I are supposed to go LIR-IAH-LIT tomorrow. While checking in this evening I got a message about "volunteering to take a different flight in exchange for a travel credit". How would this work normally, and do we have any options? Does this mean it's likely we'll get bumped @ the gate even if we opt out? I went ahead and selected "not at this time" and continued our checkin, but should we call and explore our options, or just show up (2:20pm departure) and see what they say? Is there any chance we could get cash instead of a travel credit, or possibly flights+cash? I'd like to be prepared before we get to the airport just in case, thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.