Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paperwastage
tempted just because it's true polaris hard product with EWR lounge, plus possible P fare class (wondering if it'll get mapped to P on a *A partner accrual)
I wouldn't factor that into the pre-purchase calculation. It could just as easily book into R or ZN.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
K class

EWR-NRT just $1k after purchase
EF shows 9s on all fare classes

tempted just because it's true polaris hard product with EWR lounge, plus possible P fare class (wondering if it'll get mapped to P on a *A partner accrual)
How much was it to purchase the P fare outright?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't factor that into the pre-purchase calculation. It could just as easily book into R or ZN.
yeah, i know...

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
How much was it to purchase the P fare outright?
no P fare filed for my route (NYC-HKG). only Z (+$3800 for NYC-HKG leg)
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I wonder if there's something broken with the UA upsell IT.
I don't think the upsell program ever "worked" in the first place. Upgrade amounts and even the option to upgrade have been quite variable. For example, >$1000 offers to upgrade short segments have been reported. But I appreciate anything that increases GPU/RPU/CPU success!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I don't think the upsell program ever "worked" in the first place. Upgrade amounts and even the option to upgrade have been quite variable. For example, >$1000 offers to upgrade short segments have been reported. But I appreciate anything that increases GPU/RPU/CPU success!
Actually, upgrade pricing had become quite predictable (and quite cheap) on domestic routes until very recently.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Actually, upgrade pricing had become quite predictable (and quite cheap) on domestic routes until very recently.
It's much more volatile, but a lot of the volatility seems to be tied to premium inventory. My PHX-SFO has gone from $3xx to $2xx and back, and now $133 as the lowest inventory has gone D -> Z -> D -> P. Certainly the change in offer when I re-fared down a class from T to L is new logic.

My new thesis would be that route fare differential is only offered when it's much more like the actual price difference, or maybe only when there's P space. A little sad since this would imply you can't get any more hidden deals with TODs, but if it also means more upgrades I'll take it.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
From my perspective, the exorbitant upgrade offer doesn't mean 'broken'. Indeed, no one will by my CPU!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
K class

EWR-NRT just $1k after purchase
EF shows 9s on all fare classes

I had a UA upgrade earlier this year mapped into P, but still only received miles based on the original K fare, using OZ (*A partner).
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by findark
It's much more volatile, but a lot of the volatility seems to be tied to premium inventory. My PHX-SFO has gone from $3xx to $2xx and back, and now $133 as the lowest inventory has gone D -> Z -> D -> P. Certainly the change in offer when I re-fared down a class from T to L is new logic.
I feel there's been a fundamental change in how UA prices the buy-ups, as well as overall F pricing (which seems to be a combination of higher differentials and inventory restrictions). I would assume this is their new inventory management program in action.

Overall, domestic F has gotten more expensive, which means an uptick in upgrades, but harder to justify the outright F purchase. I haven't decided which way this breaks for me, but given that I was mostly buying discount F for domestic, I think it's probably negative. There's a price where domestic F is just not worth it anymore, and lately I'm seeing the fares in that range much more often.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
GF is showing $2500 each way on DC-SFO, which is wayyyy higher than the posted fare over a month in advance. Other reservation for the holidays showing normal / expected rates. Perhaps there is a change with the new inventory management program, especially on high yield routes.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:38 am

no P fare filed for my route (NYC-HKG). only Z (+$3800 for NYC-HKG leg)
With no P fare available to me, I would have taken that upgrade offer of $1,000 for NYC-NRT. I have a self-imposed limit of $4,000 for roundtrips to Asia. And I would have taken it even on the 772 with the 2-4-2 configuration.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

GPU vs paid upgrade

I am flying SFO-FRA and LHR-SFO. I have gold status and received GPUs from a family member. Will adding these GPUs to my flight impact whether united offers me a paid upgrade price at check in? Now that the GPUs are on my reservation I no longer see an upgrade price when I go to view the reservation online. I doubt the SFO-FRA will clear. There are still a lot of empty business seats on LHR-SFO. I am willing to pay $1500 each way to upgrade if united offered. I dont want the GPUs to crowd out a paid upgrade offer. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by volleygirlrd
I am flying SFO-FRA and LHR-SFO. I have gold status and received GPUs from a family member. Will adding these GPUs to my flight impact whether united offers me a paid upgrade price at check in? Now that the GPUs are on my reservation I no longer see an upgrade price when I go to view the reservation online. I doubt the SFO-FRA will clear. There are still a lot of empty business seats on LHR-SFO. I am willing to pay $1500 each way to upgrade if united offered. I dont want the GPUs to crowd out a paid upgrade offer. Thanks for your help!
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

With GPUs applied on our return from PVG in January, both my wife and did receive TODs at check-in. But, with a GPU applied on my wife's return from HKG on a different trip, when UA made a P fare available months before the flight, my wife could not see any upgrade offer online. She did call to do a GG BUYUP to the P fare and they returned the GPU to my account (since she had waitlisted one of my GPUs).

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 15, 2018 at 6:52 pm Reason: Forgot to do a nice welcome
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
All that to really say -- we don't know. It may inhibit some of the upgrades showing up (it probably does), but not all of them.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, things is dynamic now, that's for sure.

Here's my offers over the past week for LAX-IAH-DCA (09/23/18) + IAD-IAH-LAX (09/28/18):

(09/09/18)
(09/11/18)
(09/16/18)

And, if you like them prices, try these LAX-ORD (10/03/18) and ORD-LAX (10/07/18):
(09/09/18)
(09/11/18)
(09/16/18)
oboy.

David

Last edited by DELee; Sep 16, 2018 at 9:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.