Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Have a chance to use $550.00 and 20K miles for LHR - LAX. However, I'm on a K ticket was deciding if I should upfare to W and apply a GPU. OR should I just wait for TOD?

It the value trade off the same?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Rumples
Have a chance to use $550.00 and 20K miles for LHR - LAX. However, I'm on a K ticket was deciding if I should upfare to W and apply a GPU. OR should I just wait for TOD?

It the value trade off the same?
K fares on TATL have gotten very cheap, to the point that $550+20k mi can sometimes look preferable to a ~$350-400 buy-up to W and then GPU. I'd say you should do miles+copay if your upgrade has anything less than a ~70% chance of clearing, since you can't get your $400 fare class buyup back. Otherwise K->W+GPU tends to be better value. ToD can sometimes be available even when confirmable UG space is not, and on this route is fairly consistently $829 for me.

In terms of value, at ballpark 2cpm, miles+copay = $950, ToD = $829 typically on this route, K->W ~= $350 (but of course the GPU presumably has 'value' to you also). None will confer bonus PQM; moving up to W will up your RDM and PQD (since it's a 'true' upfare).

What is the inventory on your LAX-LHR flight currently?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789
K fares on TATL have gotten very cheap, to the point that $550+20k mi can sometimes look preferable to a ~$350-400 buy-up to W and then GPU. I'd say you should do miles+copay if your upgrade has anything less than a ~70% chance of clearing, since you can't get your $400 fare class buyup back. Otherwise K->W+GPU tends to be better value. ToD can sometimes be available even when confirmable UG space is not, and on this route is fairly consistently $829 for me.

In terms of value, at ballpark 2cpm, miles+copay = $950, ToD = $829 typically on this route, K->W ~= $350 (but of course the GPU presumably has 'value' to you also). None will confer bonus PQM; moving up to W will up your RDM and PQD (since it's a 'true' upfare).

What is the inventory on your LAX-LHR flight currently?
Appreciate your input! Cost me 220.00 to upfare to a "W" ticket and then my GPU. There's 41 of 48 booked in Business, but I'm taking a gamble on that one, as I didn't think that 550.00 + 20K miles was worth it. Time of day @ about $800.00 +- 100.00 USD didn't seem like a great offer either.

The agent on the phone said that it should be fine, but these days like Kacee says, I take all of it with a grain of salt.

I did however have to pay around $120.00 for a LHR Tax fee? She mentioned it would be refunded if I didn't get the upgrade, but it's the first time I have heard of this.

This trip from LAX - MUC - BCN - FRA - LHR - LAX has been my tightest one yet when it comes to upgrades so we will have to see what happens. Thanks again for the information.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did however have to pay around $120.00 for a LHR Tax fee? She mentioned it would be refunded if I didn't get the upgrade, but it's the first time I have heard of this.
Flights from LHR are subject to the UK Air Passenger Duty, which is quite a bit more expensive for premium cabin travel than it is for economy.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Flights from LHR are subject to the UK Air Passenger Duty, which is quite a bit more expensive for premium cabin travel than it is for economy.
No kidding! First time i've encountered that, as I am usually TPAC. Lesson learned!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold
What's the most expensive upsell ticket for a domestic flight you've ever purchased?

I'm just wondering who in the world pays $1,115 to upgrade to F on a run of the mill IAH-EWR flight.

My guess is no one as the price usually always comes down to like $179.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:20 pm

This trip from LAX - MUC - BCN - FRA - LHR - LAX
Originally Posted by jsloan
Flights from LHR are subject to the UK Air Passenger Duty
Not sure about the breaks in your itinerary, but if you have a <24h connection at LHR, then you don't have to pay the APD surcharge (ex. if you originated in FRA on the morning, got to LHR, then flew LHR-LAX later that same day). This is a common and incredibly irritating bug with UA's upgrade system flying tatl (i.e. it always charges the APD). If this scenario applies to you, my advice would be just to write into 1KVoice when the journey is over asking for the $100 back.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked in for tomorrow's IAD-RDU and I'm offered the upgrade for $89 (two seats left in F, 12 on the upgrade list).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Checked in for tomorrow's IAD-RDU and I'm offered the upgrade for $89 (two seats left in F, 12 on the upgrade list).
Buy or no buy?

David
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
MSP-SFO, for a Silver with an XN ticket: the usual $199 at OLCI. Underlying inventory F2 PN1 R0 Y1 H0.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Anyone have a screenshot of how the offer page looks like on mobile check-in? What screen should i pay attention to? I've never seen this before and my family has been 1k for over 10yrs
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
Not sure about the breaks in your itinerary, but if you have a <24h connection at LHR, then you don't have to pay the APD surcharge (ex. if you originated in FRA on the morning, got to LHR, then flew LHR-LAX later that same day). This is a common and incredibly irritating bug with UA's upgrade system flying tatl (i.e. it always charges the APD). If this scenario applies to you, my advice would be just to write into 1KVoice when the journey is over asking for the $100 back.
Ah, unfortunately i've been in London the past week, so the 24 hour rule wouldn't apply to me.

Checked in about 20 minutes ago and there 42 of 48 booked, 6 available and the TOD buy up was $829.00 just like you guys had said. Hoping my GPU pulls through.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Anyone have a screenshot of how the offer page looks like on mobile check-in? What screen should i pay attention to? I've never seen this before and my family has been 1k for over 10yrs
I just went through my App and I don't believe there's a screen for it. I'm on LHR - LAX tomorrow and couldn't find the buy up offer anywhere. I believe you'd see it on desktop only or perhaps a tablet.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just went through my App and I don't believe there's a screen for it. I'm on LHR - LAX tomorrow and couldn't find the buy up offer anywhere. I believe you'd see it on desktop only or perhaps a tablet.
Tap on your (checked-in) reservation, then tap on "Travel Options." you should see a summary of your reservation, and if you scroll down, you will see the offers. SDC options, Award Accelerator, and Upgrades will all appear here. Each has a graphic along with a price. If J is full, it won't show the options, but otherwise I've seen it on every flight where I'm not already confirmed into the highest cabin.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:27 am

Ah, unfortunately i've been in London the past week, so the 24 hour rule wouldn't apply to me.

Checked in about 20 minutes ago and there 42 of 48 booked, 6 available and the TOD buy up was $829.00 just like you guys had said. Hoping my GPU pulls through.
Looks like a batch of UG (~5) cleared in the last ~90 mins. Hope you made it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.