Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Just to confirm, we're referring to TOD as "Tens of Dollars", and not "Time of Departure" right? That was the original abbreviation which has since been muddled somewhat.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by diburning
Just to confirm, we're referring to TOD as "Tens of Dollars", and not "Time of Departure" right? That was the original abbreviation which has since been muddled somewhat.
I have long since interpreted it as "time of departure", or more specifically the offered generated by United which is online/kiosk (maybe an agent) only, available only at purchase and check-in, and which is independent of your current cost basis in the ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
There used to be two threads, one for "tens of dollars" and a general upsell thread. Once real TODs became rare, I think one year the two threads were combined. TOD is still listed as Tens of Dollars on the FT Glossary.

Anyhow, domestic offers are supposed to be distance based.

Last edited by diburning; Jan 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:29 am

BOG-IAH red eye for later this week at $446 after being $2,000 at purchase.

This flight notes that it serves dinner. But it leaves at 1:15 a.m. That's going to annoy me when I'm just trying to get some sleep.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:03 pm

SFO-->ATL tomorrow. $1229 for an upgrade on a V fare. Was $479 earlier, then F went full, then two seats opened up. I wonder if going full and then F2 changed what fare classes were available.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
If planning to buy F for one leg, is it usually cheaper to purchase it as an add on at time of purchase than buying it outright?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: United 1K
Watched someone get offered (and accept) $179 at the gate, 42 minutes before departure, for UA762 IAD-IAH. I was first on the list (F1 at that point), and of course never got an offer. Just another data point!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jparrott
Watched someone get offered (and accept) $179 at the gate, 42 minutes before departure, for UA762 IAD-IAH. I was first on the list (F1 at that point), and of course never got an offer. Just another data point!
These are offered at the gate? Is it because the passenger walked up to the agent? Because I don't see how the agents have time to go down a list and say "Hey Mr. Joe, come see me. I see you're in economy, would you like to sit in First for $179?"
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
These are offered at the gate? Is it because the passenger walked up to the agent? Because I don't see how the agents have time to go down a list and say "Hey Mr. Joe, come see me. I see you're in economy, would you like to sit in First for $179?"
I think it's more Mr. Joe goes up to the podium and says "am I able to upgrade to First? How much would that cost?"
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
1/15

SFO-IAD $299 offered, accepted.
Apparently upsold to P
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Never saw an upsell offer for my flight IAH-SYD on Jan 28 and I believe seat 8K was still vacant when we pushed away from the gate. The plane was lightly loaded -- lots of empty seats, even rows (I got hobo FC with seats 18A-C to myself) so there probably wasn't a GS or 1K trying to upgrade to the last seat in J.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
If planning to buy F for one leg, is it usually cheaper to purchase it as an add on at time of purchase than buying it outright?
If you mean "one leg of a connection," then, almost certainly yes. Buying it outright would mean introducing a fare break at your connection city; buying the add-on from the pop-up menu post-purchase does not.

If you mean "the outbound of a round-trip" (or, of course, the return), then it's generally the same price, and you may as well go ahead and buy it up front. However, many people will price it both ways -- look at the first class price differential, then purchase the coach fare and check the upgrade price. If the outright purchase is cheaper, you can either call UA to get the cheaper price, or just cancel the economy trip and rebook in first. All UA tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase (assuming the flight hasn't departed by then .
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
I think it's more Mr. Joe goes up to the podium and says "am I able to upgrade to First? How much would that cost?"
That’s what happened here.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:50 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you mean "one leg of a connection," then, almost certainly yes. Buying it outright would mean introducing a fare break at your connection city; buying the add-on from the pop-up menu post-purchase does not.

If you mean "the outbound of a round-trip" (or, of course, the return), then it's generally the same price, and you may as well go ahead and buy it up front. However, many people will price it both ways -- look at the first class price differential, then purchase the coach fare and check the upgrade price. If the outright purchase is cheaper, you can either call UA to get the cheaper price, or just cancel the economy trip and rebook in first. All UA tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase (assuming the flight hasn't departed by then .
Great advice! Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:55 am

That being said, purchasing the buy up after purchase may not be the lowest price you'll pay especially when booking far enough in advance and certainly would represent what United would like to get rather than what they would actually offer. You can view these buy up offers by going to manage reservation on the UA website and clicking redeem upgrade to see what the current offer is. The buy up prices have a tendency of yo-yoing around as availability changes in the front cabin. It is also known that sometimes the upgrade offers given at check-in can significantly beat the buy-up options given prior to departure (i.e. BOS -> SFO in p.s. for $249). Sometimes you'll also earn extra milage if the ticket re-fares into P (i.e. double PQM) but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

In any event, your best bet is to set a an amount you're willing to pay for an upgrade before you go purchase your Y tickets and stick to that.

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.