Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Given that- is the TOD upgrade for IAD-SFO at OLCI just not possible?
One potential workaround is to call in and ask for Web Support -- I think they've been able to pull up and process OLCI ToDs within T-24 if you can't see them on the site/app. Unclear if it'll work when there's a LH seg on the res, but worth a shot if you really want to sit in F.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Starman
It's been suggested elsewhere (possibly even upthread here) that at least for LH, that UA OLCI is enabled as soon as LH closes out their segment (at LH pushback or wheels up), in which case theoretically if the LH flight has WiFi, you could try to OLCI on the UA segment 2 when the LH flight is airborne, and then maybe get a UA buyup offer. Would be curious to know if this has ever actually worked.
Originally Posted by sfo789
One potential workaround is to call in and ask for Web Support -- I think they've been able to pull up and process OLCI ToDs within T-24 if you can't see them on the site/app. Unclear if it'll work when there's a LH seg on the res, but worth a shot if you really want to sit in F.
Both of these are sound advice. You should be able to OLCI for the UA segment as soon as the LH segment coupon is lifted, but if you're really interested than you can call web support within T-24 of the UA flight.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:30 pm

OLCI for SFO-HGH G fare to Biz $1,049

Edit: Accepted the offer.

Last edited by khlay; Sep 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LAX-HNL at purchase $899 (L fare).

R8 at booking, so I think I'll pass
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:30 am

olci HGH-SFO

me silver: no offer only miles/copay
2 friends no status: 989.00

i confronted why i wasnt offered 989.00 and they said i was on a different fare which is untrue, we all had the same g fare ticket because i bought them all at the same time.

went out with over 20 seats open, price never changed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
This morning at OLCI, my wife (no status, award ticket) SLC-DEN $59. I got CPU and we went ahead and paid the $59 for her to join me. Flight went out with 2 open seats in first.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:27 pm
formerly RZachSmith

$159 BWI-IAH at Check-in 1.5 hours before departure. No status for me, on an L fare. Was the last seat in the cabin.

My father was already in paid F on a separate record locator and I had a lap infant, so we bought it. Apologies to whomever was #1 on the upgrade list, but my 18 month old daughter and I appreciated her ability to lay out across my lap.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
This is a first. $99 at purchase DCA to ORD. However, no revenue F for sale. F0 A0 P0.

I didn't bite, but wondered what would happen if I did.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
This is a first. $99 at purchase DCA to ORD. However, no revenue F for sale. F0 A0 P0.

I didn't bite, but wondered what would happen if I did.
Are you actually flying DCA-ORD? Or are you connecting? If the latter, it's possible that there's inventory only on the DCA-ORD segment.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JAXFLY
olci HGH-SFO

me silver: no offer only miles/copay
2 friends no status: 989.00

i confronted why i wasnt offered 989.00 and they said i was on a different fare which is untrue, we all had the same g fare ticket because i bought them all at the same time.

went out with over 20 seats open, price never changed.
That has been my experience as well. Was this at check-in or few days before that?

My theory is that airline is more likely to offer TOD upgrades to passengers without FF numbers as airline has to buy miles for passenger. In the case of elites of their own program, they have to issue more RDMs which makes better sense to offer TOD to general members or tickets with no FF numbers. Would like to get some more data points around this topic.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
This has been occurring long before the changeover to the revenue based earning system.

The best hypothesis that I've seen so far is that non-elites are given simple non-revenue-bucket-tracking (meaning, for example, BOS-ORD is $129 regardless of whether you have a G fare or K fare) buy-ups to upgrade buckets, ZN, and PN, while elites are given options for fare difference upgrades to P/Z/A/F, or R for miles+copay upgrades.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Are you actually flying DCA-ORD?
Yes, I am flying to ORD and not connecting. I tried to report it, and United said this was not a bug. It's an elite benefit. Let's just say I'm skeptical.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I am flying to ORD and not connecting. I tried to report it, and United said this was not a bug. It's an elite benefit. Let's just say I'm skeptical.
Yeah, that doesn't really make much sense. If I thought F on that flight were worth $99, I'd have sprung for it on the off chance of getting a nice downgrade certificate later. But, I don't personally find it worth it for such a short flight, and with my luck, somebody would cancel and I'd end up getting what I paid for.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:32 am

The thing is, is a $200 downgrade certificate worth $99 cash? On the bubble for me.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
The thing is, is a $200 downgrade certificate worth $99 cash? On the bubble for me.
With the ability to combine ETCs now, I would say so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.