Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by abcx
Do you get buy-up offers even if you're 1K waitlisted on a RPU? I don't want to screw myself by waitlisting a RPU. This is for the earlier SFO-LHR flight (UA 901). 37 booked out of 52 so far. Biz is 9 across the board including PN9 so far for next Thurs.
I don't think waitlisting an RPU is going to work on that route

There are no guarantees you will ever get a buy-up offer, either with or without an upgrade waitlisted. With PN9, I personally would waitlist the GPU.

Also, I see people talking about up-faring to P. I take it I can't do that if I haven't booked within the P advance purchase period?
You can only upfare to a fare that's currently for sale, which means meeting the advance purchase requirements.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Assuming you mean a GPU not an RPU for SFO-LHR, as RPUs can only be used on domestic or short-haul international (US to CAN/MEX)

YMMV, but you will likely receive a buy-up offer at check-in while waitlisted, unless your GPU clears before check-in. If you take the buy-up offer, you'll get the GPU redeposited.
Yes, sorry, I meant GPU. Was late here.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think waitlisting an RPU is going to work on that route

There are no guarantees you will ever get a buy-up offer, either with or without an upgrade waitlisted. With PN9, I personally would waitlist the GPU.

You can only upfare to a fare that's currently for sale, which means meeting the advance purchase requirements.
They did have R wide open on this Tues, Wed and Thurs but maybe that was just because it was July 4.

I'm going to waitlist the GPU and then hope for a day of upgrade offer. My company would probably pay the fare difference but $9k in UA biz TATL is crazy, even though I know it's just close in pricing.

EDIT: Loads are now up to 41 out of 52 in C. Eek! Was 30 in C three days ago. 7 still free in F. Don't think they are opening R space.
EDIT2: Maybe there's hope yet. They opened up R space on the flight two days before mine but that's 34/52 in C and 7/12 in F compared to 41/52 in C and 5/12 in F the two days after that. Both are PN9.

Last edited by abcx; Jul 6, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Yes, sorry, I meant GPU. Was late here.

They did have R wide open on this Tues, Wed and Thurs but maybe that was just because it was July 4.

I'm going to waitlist the GPU and then hope for a day of upgrade offer. My company would probably pay the fare difference but $9k in UA biz TATL is crazy, even though I know it's just close in pricing.

EDIT: Loads are now up to 41 out of 52 in C. Eek! Was 30 in C three days ago. 7 still free in F. Don't think they are opening R space.
EDIT2: Maybe there's hope yet. They opened up R space on the flight two days before mine but that's 34/52 in C and 7/12 in F compared to 41/52 in C and 5/12 in F the two days after that. Both are PN9.
When I see TATL prices hit $9K for biz I have not been upgraded. Usually means only a few seats left, they anticipate them to sell, and they won't let them go cheap or "for free" No data to back it up just my experience. Also, as others have mentioned when using upgrade instruments I would say I get a "TOD" offer about 50% of the time. No real rhyme or reason why. Perhaps some UA employee who know more about the algorithm used for deciding who does or does not get a TOD offer can chime in here.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Loads are now up to 41 out of 52 in C. Eek! Was 30 in C three days ago.
That could very well be due, at least in part, to UA clearing the upgrade waitlist.

Originally Posted by nomad420
When I see TATL prices hit $9K for biz I have not been upgraded. Usually means only a few seats left, they anticipate them to sell, and they won't let them go cheap or "for free"
That is not what it means. The flight is already reported at PN9, which means it's also P9. The $9k fare undoubtedly has to do with advance purchase restrictions on anything below a C or D.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Didn't get an offer on VCE-EWR, 2 non-revs cleared.
Got the standard $129 on EWR-ORD, passed since I like my PQD (even though I'm stuck in a middle...)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
That is not what it means. The flight is already reported at PN9, which means it's also P9. The $9k fare undoubtedly has to do with advance purchase restrictions on anything below a C or D.
I may have misunderstood his post, I thought the PN9 was on the flights PRIOR to his. The only time I see $9K pricing on TATL's is full fare biz (J) and close in. I know as I have unfortunately had to buy them and biz is generally booked full.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:17 pm

That could very well be due, at least in part, to UA clearing the upgrade waitlist.
Yeah, I realized that. I'm playing roulette a little here - I could book a V fare and waitlist with a GPU or I could book a B fare to maximize my chances that the upgrade clears. I'm holding a V fare with the 72 hr trick hoping R space will open up and I will be able to instantly confirm into C at booking without buying up to the B fare and waitlisting. If UA would let me upfare from a V to a B without a change fee, I'd buy the V fare right now and waitlist. I should probably just buy the B fare and waitlist. I hate United.

Yes, exactly.

EDIT: Thursday now down to 38/52 in C from 41 this morning. F at 5/12.

Last edited by abcx; Jul 6, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I may have misunderstood his post, I thought the PN9 was on the flights PRIOR to his. The only time I see $9K pricing on TATL's is full fare biz (J) and close in. I know as I have unfortunately had to buy them and biz is generally booked full.
It's PN9 on all three days - Tues/Wed/Thurs - next week. I need to fly Thurs. Wed and Thurs both look something like this: F4 FN4 A4 ON3 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R0. Tues is similar except it's R7.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:26 pm

EDIT: Thursday now down to 38/52 in C from 41 this morning. F at 5/12.
This is not a science, but it's a pretty decent bet (better than 50%) that the V would clear.

The problem with not buying a ticket is they may be clearing upgrades in the early morning hours so you never see the R.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:44 pm

It's PN9 on all three days - Tues/Wed/Thurs - next week. I need to fly Thurs. Wed and Thurs both look something like this: F4 FN4 A4 ON3 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN9 R0. Tues is similar except it's R7.
Look, I am also sick of playing this game with UA and I now just bite the bullet and buy C on TATLs and TPACs. But given what you say (P9 on your flight now as well) I would think your chances are at least good at getting the upgrade. I would NOT buy an up class ticket with the hope of getting an upgrade (JMHO), I have played that game to many times now and lost. As others have stated, "it is a suckers bet".
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
No offer EWR-CUN

Just checked in exactly 24/hr prior for EWR-CUN for a flight on July 8 (UA 1072). Flight status shows 11/20 passengers booked in F and no one on upgrade list. Was expecting a buy-up offer but none appeared at check in. Booked this as a package through Hotwire, and looking closer at the ticket details the fare paid shows BULK - is this why no upgrade offer? The airfare portion of the trip was not cheap for the nonstop flights I selected (around $800 per person, cheaper options were available with stops). Is it possible any offer will be available at the airport check in or through the gate agent?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Just checked in exactly 24/hr prior for EWR-CUN for a flight on July 8 (UA 1072). Flight status shows 11/20 passengers booked in F and no one on upgrade list. Was expecting a buy-up offer but none appeared at check in. Booked this as a package through Hotwire, and looking closer at the ticket details the fare paid shows BULK - is this why no upgrade offer? The airfare portion of the trip was not cheap for the nonstop flights I selected (around $800 per person, cheaper options were available with stops). Is it possible any offer will be available at the airport check in or through the gate agent?
Once checked in, you should be able to go back on the United app, look at your reservation, and select "travel options" and any offers may appear there. It typically changes often. No offer / offer / price.

- Tom
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For tomorrow:
CLT-IAD-EWR
G Fare for me, XN for my Girlfriend
Both of us no status
$59 for CLT-IAD (E75), $79 for IAD-EWR (320)

Hard no times two.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Just checked in exactly 24/hr prior for EWR-CUN for a flight on July 8 (UA 1072). Flight status shows 11/20 passengers booked in F and no one on upgrade list. Was expecting a buy-up offer but none appeared at check in. Booked this as a package through Hotwire, and looking closer at the ticket details the fare paid shows BULK - is this why no upgrade offer? ...
Generally BULK fares are non-upgradeable. What might happen after check-in is just speculation but I would not be expecting an upgrade offer. A GA might be able to blown thru the block.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:46 am

This is not a science, but it's a pretty decent bet (better than 50%) that the V would clear.

The problem with not buying a ticket is they may be clearing upgrades in the early morning hours so you never see the R.
This is the wrong thread for this (will cross post to the upgrade thread) but just to update, everything went as planned - I had booked the V fare as advised in this thread and waitlisted the GPU. R9 opened up this morning, upgrade hadn't cleared, so phoned it in. Now in C. C up from 39/52 to 44/52 booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.