Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:29 pm

Is there any way to see how much money it will cost to upgrade from a saver economy award ticket to business class on a domestic flight before booking the award ticket? I'm traveling on short notice and trying to bring some basic household items to a friend who could use some support. I could really take advantage of the the 70 lbs weight limit for checked bags from an upgrade to first class to share more. So I'm ideally hoping to use the miles I have to cover the saver ticket and see if it's economical to upgrade to a business class ticket since it's a very short flight where business class might not sell out. But I ideally want to know what it'll cost to do that before using my award miles on the saver ticket. Thanks :-)
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, RhinoItAll

Originally Posted by RhinoItAll
Is there any way to see how much money it will cost to upgrade from a saver economy award ticket to business class on a domestic flight before booking the award ticket? ...
The cash upgrade offer for award tickets is variable. It may not be offered, and if offered it will depend on unpublished factors (likely based of paid fares, sales of paid fares, ...). I use a ballpark estimate of not much cheaper than $75/flight hour but can be higher.

FedEx/UPS may be cheaper
RhinoItAll likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by RhinoItAll
Is there any way to see how much money it will cost to upgrade from a saver economy award ticket to business class on a domestic flight before booking the award ticket? I'm traveling on short notice and trying to bring some basic household items to a friend who could use some support. I could really take advantage of the the 70 lbs weight limit for checked bags from an upgrade to first class to share more. So I'm ideally hoping to use the miles I have to cover the saver ticket and see if it's economical to upgrade to a business class ticket since it's a very short flight where business class might not sell out. But I ideally want to know what it'll cost to do that before using my award miles on the saver ticket. Thanks :-)
As previously said, there's no way to find out ahead of time. But, there's also no negative repurcussion to booking the ticket, seeing what the price is, and then cancelling if it's not the price you're looking for.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, VRFast and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, RhinoItAll

The cash upgrade offer for award tickets is variable. It may not be offered, and if offered it will depend on unpublished factors (likely based of paid fares, sales of paid fares, ...). I use a ballpark estimate of not much cheaper than $75/flight hour but can be higher.

FedEx/UPS may be cheaper
Thanks for the info and that helpful estimate!

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
As previously said, there's no way to find out ahead of time. But, there's also no negative repurcussion to booking the ticket, seeing what the price is, and then cancelling if it's not the price you're looking for.
Thanks for the reminder that I should be able to cancel and get my points back promptly.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When you purchase a buy up from Premium Economy to Business, do you get RDMs based on the amount purchased? The PQDs posted to my account, but not RDMs. My total purchase will credit less than 75,000 RDMs on the round trip, so that is not the issue.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe no - sticker-type upgrades are eligible for PQP but not RDM.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and FlytheTail like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Do they email you with buy-up offers or you need to constantly check your Manage Trips?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by frappant
Do they email you with buy-up offers or you need to constantly check your Manage Trips?
Never gotten an email about buy-up offers, but I check my reservations like every day anyway so I can catch a "good deal".
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by VRFast
Never gotten an email about buy-up offers, but I check my reservations like every day anyway so I can catch a "good deal".

Thanks, so offers change often enough that it's worth checking daily?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VRFast
Originally Posted by frappant
Thanks, so offers change often enough that it's worth checking daily?
Depends how close to departure you are.

The offer is typically priced based on J inventory. When P is available, that should be the lowest price.
VRFast likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
SFO-TLV

T-24hr at check in SFO-TLV. RN9 PZ9. $1099 for Polaris $999 for Premium Plus from K fare.

Last edited by VWang1111; Apr 6, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VWang1111
T-24hr at check in SFO-TLV. RN9 PZ9. $1099 for Polaris $999 for Premium Plus from K fare.
So the first 20 Plus Points (Y to PE) are worth $49.95 each, while the second 20 (to J) are only worth $5 each
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
So the first 20 Plus Points (Y to PE) are worth $49.95 each, while the second 20 (to J) are only worth $5 each
Isn't it 80 plus points to go from K to J? Making those 60 worth closer to $2. Ouch.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am a United 1k member, I accepted an offer to upgrade a ticket booked with my miles to upgrade my wife and daughter from PP to F.

I would now like to change my flight, If I change or cancel my upgrade fee is not being considered, if I cancel I do not see it being listed as being refunded. What are my options / best tips to bypass this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
What are my options / best tips to bypass this.
Pray for a schedule change or flight cancelation.

The buy-ups are otherwise expressly nonchangeable and nonrefundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.