Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by davie355
I saw a flight for $240 Economy, $530 First.

Immediately after purchasing the Economy fare, I was offered $310 to upgrade to First.

Why wouldn't I just cancel (well within 24 hours) and buy the First fare?
Because $310 is a lot less than $530. It's an excellent deal!

(No, that makes no logical sense, but a surprising number of pax are susceptible to this line of thinking, especially if you separate the two purchases by several weeks. The actual answer is UA doesn't care enough to try to fine-tune the upsell offers that carefully.)
Old May 20, 2019, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's the same reason you will sometimes see long haul business priced cheaper than P+ - because UA's algorithm says that's how to price it. There is no effort to rationalize the pricing for what are from the perspective of UA's IT two different products (in this case, an F ticket vs. a purchased buy-up to F).
Old May 30, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Offer $114. Checking two bags would cost me $70. Short 2 hour flight, not sure if worth the $40 surcharge. Seems like for short hops, if you have 3 bags cheaper to upgrade to F then pay the baggage fee.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
was just offered to upgrade the SFO-SIN part of my YEG-YYC-SFO-SIN trip.... for $11,719 haha highest I have ever seen
Old May 30, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by whitethunder
was just offered to upgrade the SFO-SIN part of my YEG-YYC-SFO-SIN trip.... for $11,719 haha highest I have ever seen
UA1 or UA29? What day of the week? If you fly back on Tue/Wed, you should have strong chance of getting a ~$1k upgrade offer, especially on UA28.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Santander
UA1 or UA29? What day of the week? If you fly back on Tue/Wed, you should have strong chance of getting a ~$1k upgrade offer, especially on UA28.
SFO-SIN UA29 on a Sunday, just brutal eh

My return on a separate reservation SIN-SFO (enroute to YEG) is $3002 on a Wednesday UA2

Could have bought a business class roundtrip on other airlines for ~$3000 !! I would probably bite on a $1000 offer if I saw one
Old May 30, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by whitethunder
SFO-SIN UA29 on a Sunday, just brutal eh

My return on a separate reservation SIN-SFO (enroute to YEG) is $3002 on a Wednesday UA2

Could have bought a business class roundtrip on other airlines for ~$3000 !! I would probably bite on a $1000 offer if I saw one
Ouch... You should have decent GPU chances on your way back with your presumably high fare class if you don't get a good offer. Hope you at least got Row 16.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
UA870

Today 5/31 was able to upgrade at the gate to the last unbooked seat for 1750. Had been in the mid $4ks and up to 9k online.

I paid 3k ahead of time for the flight into SYD. Solid deal IMO
Old May 31, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
United emailed me "upgrade your experience to a premium cabin for an upcoming flight (2 weeks from now). I clicked on the email and there was an additional "upgrade" button.

Which then brought me to a page showing "no upgrade available" for all 6 segments. Not sure why United even sends out these emails

(I know it's automated, but kind of a waste of time).

Old May 31, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Booking for family at Christmas time.

Fare difference from W to Z fare was $219pp, after purchase option was $219pp as well.

I did want to get them E+ seats and what was interesting is that the aisle and middle bulkhead during booking was quoting $64 and $59 per seat (respectively), however 5 min after purchase of the ticket I went through "manage reservations" and the price for the same two seats dropped to $51 and $47.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
Originally Posted by tstauck
United emailed me "upgrade your experience to a premium cabin for an upcoming flight (2 weeks from now). I clicked on the email and there was an additional "upgrade" button.

Which then brought me to a page showing "no upgrade available" for all 6 segments. Not sure why United even sends out these emails

(I know it's automated, but kind of a waste of time).

I'm more shocked UA flys an A320 BTV - DEN. How long has this been a route, and a mainline one at that??
Old May 31, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by tabTX
I'm more shocked UA flys an A320 BTV - DEN. How long has this been a route, and a mainline one at that??
I think that is a mistake as well. Podunk little airport at Burlington typically goes to EWR or ORD on regional jets, I don't think they can even handle a mainline at the gate.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tabTX
- a few months back
UA starting 7 new DEN routes(?)
Old May 31, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
this actually jumped to $16xxx for a day last week but settled back down. is the omission of the comma intentional to make the number appear smaller?

PVG > EWR.

Old May 31, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by miasmal
I think that is a mistake as well. Podunk little airport at Burlington typically goes to EWR or ORD on regional jets, I don't think they can even handle a mainline at the gate.
Yep, A320 BTV - DEN although seasonal only and starting next week I believe.

Actually BTV has been getting more and more mainline service from United. Last year I flew ORD-BTV on a 737-900 with CPU's at the 48 hour window. They also were flying a 737-700 from EWR last year, but looks like not doing that now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.