Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
How can we tell what class the TOD will book into? Ive had TODs book into P, which earns 1.5x PQMs; Ive had others book into ZN, which earns 1x PQMs.
In advance, difficult to be sure. Best way to get increased PQMs is a true upfare (or take the offer at purchasing) as most post-purchase offers will not. You will earn PQDs only for the upfare or offer at purchasing.

After the upgrade purchase, the fare class will be clear and a bonus fare, your will get the bonus.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In advance, difficult to be sure. Best way to get increased PQMs is a true upfare (or take the offer at purchasing) as most post-purchase offers will not. You will earn PQDs only for the upfare or offer at purchasing.

After the upgrade purchase, the fare class will be clear and a bonus fare, your will get the bonus.
Even on day-of, Ive had some book into P and others book into ZN. Frustrating because ZN doesnt earn extra PQM.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Data points last week AUS-SFO.
I was on a K fare @ $148, F 11/12 booked, offered upgrade for $198 at kiosk T-2.5.
After declining, companion on XN @ 12.5K miles offered upgrade for $302. Didn't take that one either.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
Even on day-of, Ive had some book into P and others book into ZN. Frustrating because ZN doesnt earn extra PQM.
My impression the booking "day-of" into P has become less frequent. Things have been evolving
An earlier discussion - Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
Same here. Once the RPU is waitlisted I can no longer see any TOD offers.
I just got at check-in a TOD offer of $216 for LAX-ORD. I have an RPU waitlisted. First Class is sold 23/24. I did not take it as I never take TODs on domestic flights.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Got offered a tod upgrade for Mel-lax at $2k. Flight is wide open in J 12/48 sold. I declined.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by expressboy
Got offered a tod upgrade for Mel-lax at $2k. Flight is wide open in J 12/48 sold. I declined.
Interesting, because today, I was offered $985 to upgrade from a K fare on flight 1 to SIN. For the past year its always been at least $1,059never lower it. Im not taking it. FAs need love too!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Interesting, because today, I was offered $985 to upgrade from a K fare on flight 1 to SIN. For the past year its always been at least $1,059never lower it. Im not taking it. FAs need love too!
That is a good deal. If I had no hope of an upgrade I would have taken it.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
First time United flyer, flying SFO-MEX - is upgrade offer worth it?

Sorry to tag on, but its the same topic. First time United flyer, flying SFO-MEX on an A319. Currently in 21C (exit) and have an offer of US$159 (via the app), interestingly the offer is US$389 (via website).

I am TK *G so should get priority baggage, lounge etc.

Would you consider this a good deal?
Old May 3, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, but it's entirely a personal question. Is 21B likely to be occupied? That would have a significant impact on my feeling. $159 is a pretty normal price for the route, so it's not like it's the deal of the year.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Two considerations you may not be aware of:

1. The slimlined Y seats on the UA airbuses are horrible. I find them really uncomfortable for a 1 hour flight, 4 hours would be tough. And exit row are the worst ones due to shorter seat pan.
2. At MEX, there's value to being first off the aircraft, as the immigration lines can be really awful.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beach86
Sorry to tag on, but its the same topic. First time United flyer, flying SFO-MEX on an A319. Currently in 21C (exit) and have an offer of US$159 (via the app), interestingly the offer is US$389 (via website).

I am TK *G so should get priority baggage, lounge etc.

Would you consider this a good deal?
I currently have an offer for Puerto Vallarta - SFO for $199 which is about the same distance. So $159 isn't a bad deal, IMO.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:41 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
And exit row are the worst ones due to shorter seat pan.
I don't follow the "where to sit" threads for narrow-body equipment much, so that's the first time I've read about the shorter seat pan. Is it true on 737's as well?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
If I purchase an upgrade to premium economy, can I then go ahead and apply a GPU for business class? If so, when is the latest prior to departure I can apply a GPU?
Old May 4, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I don't follow the "where to sit" threads for narrow-body equipment much, so that's the first time I've read about the shorter seat pan. Is it true on 737's as well?
I have sat in exit rows on many 737s and I don't feel like the seat pan is shorter at all, although I have never taken my tape measure. The biggest difference I have noticed is row 20 doesn't recline and the window seats don't have arm rests near the window, otherwise I believe it is the exact same seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.