Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Just bought my tickets for a family vacation this summer and thought I'd check to see what the upsell offers might be even though I've already requested to use GPUs. I found the upsell offer for DEN-FRA hilarious -- no, No, and NO.

Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Flying RDU-DEN this weekend and was booked into a W fare. With it being operated by an A319, and there only being three seats left, I decided to look at the various upgrade options. UA.bomb offered me a $192 fee to move into F which I felt was reasonable for a four hour flight. Additionally, it immediately reissued the ticket into P class, so the combination of a dinner, free alcohol, wider seat and more EQMs seemed worth the price.
I agree, I'd spend the $192 on this. Have a nice flight.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX-EWR tomorrow on the 787-10, one seat left. $1200 from an L fare, definitely passed! In Premium Plus already.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Pleasantly Surprised

So, I'm flying PDX-EWR-GVA: GVA-IAD-PDX in late August. My outbound leg was all booked in Z fares whereas on the return leg I was all S fare. My cost to upgrade the return leg would have something crazy like $4k in costs if I were to choose the paid upgrade option online. I called in on the Premier line and upgraded the return leg to Z fares for only $1300: How can there be such discrepancy in the cost to upgrade fares like this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Just seems kind of awkward that United would charge such a premium for upgrading online when it costs less to have an agent do it over the phone.

Eric
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The cash price on the website does not use the current fare table as an input. While it frequently offers a better deal than a ticket change, it doesn't always. UA doesn't really care about fixing it -- it's very low on the priority list.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Ah, thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I keep checking periodically to see what the upgrade options/chances are for UA 182 DEN-FRA on June 8 (middle segment on my trip to Lisbon this summer). FTers who bemoan the loss in ability to apply GPUs should be pleased to hear that today, I wasn't offered any kind of upsell offer. In the past, the upsell was over $10K just for the DEN-FRA leg but today, nada, nothing, zilch. No way, no how.

I've managed to sleep in E+ on a 787-8 before and I'll manage it again but was intrigued that United flat-out wasn't offering any kind of upsell, even at a ridiculous $10K. Then again, perhaps they are worried about getting the necessary government approval for UA 182 and having to place me on another flight in J or equivalent class. Naaaaaahhhhhh ....
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
ORD-SFO, at check-in TOD was $224 from a Q fare with 17/20 First Class seats sold. I did not take it. The applied RPU cleared about 13 to 11 hours before the flight. I was #2 on the upgrade list. The third seat went to a passenger who had volunteered to take another flight the evening before. He was not expecting it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I've managed to sleep in E+ on a 787-8 before and I'll manage it again but was intrigued that United flat-out wasn't offering any kind of upsell, even at a ridiculous $10K. Then again, perhaps they are worried about getting the necessary government approval for UA 182 and having to place me on another flight in J or equivalent class. Naaaaaahhhhhh ....
Inventory is J9 JN9 C0 (when searching DEN-FRA by itself). Upgrade offers seem to move more-or-less with inventory; it's possible that it's coded not to offer the upgrade offer if the lowest available bucket is J.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Have people gotten by up offers at check in for for flights booked with miles ?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Yes. They usually offer a similar amount as cash tickets, but as with most things it's not guaranteed.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
yes.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Buyup gone on intl itinerary after purchase?

I have 2 separate intl flights and neither do I have an option to buy up. All are showing you can buy a business from the get go, but there used to be a option to buy up. Also these flights are usually pretty easy to upgrade and flights are really empty, don’t know if this is another issue with PZ or what. Anyone else?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just keep an eye on it. Sometimes the offer comes and goes.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is completely normal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2019 at 9:16 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.