Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
no status here... TLV - SFO $1000 upgrade offer from Economy (T) to Biz Polaris...
How is it?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
no status here... TLV - SFO $1000 upgrade offer from Economy (T) to Biz Polaris...
How is it?
I would likely go for it. My benchmark is what British Air regularly upcharges for LAX/SFO - LHR. It is never below $950. Plus BA's business class seating isn't all that special. TLV-SFO is a 3+ hour longer flight.

Last edited by Craig6z; Jan 17, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Buy-up offer on Partner ticketed award flight

I posted this question in the TOD thread but no luck getting a response.

If I book a one way saver award in economy going CUN-ORD using Air Canada miles will I be offered a buy up price to business if I view the award on United.com? I know seat maps aren't the most reliable indicator of loads, but all 20 J seats show available. If there's no chance of getting any type of offer we'll probably just pay cash outright. But as I have a small orphaned amount of AC miles, I'd rather use those if there;s a chance of getting a buy up anywhere near the difference between the current coach and business price.

If this was answered some where in the TOD thread, mods please merge this there. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chicago747

If I book a one way saver award in economy going CUN-ORD using Air Canada miles will I be offered a buy up price to business if I view the award on United.com? I know seat maps aren't the most reliable indicator of loads, but all 20 J seats show available. If there's no chance of getting any type of offer we'll probably just pay cash outright. But as I have a small orphaned amount of AC miles, I'd rather use those if there;s a chance of getting a buy up anywhere near the difference between the current coach and business price.

If this was answered some where in the TOD thread, mods please merge this there. Thanks guys!
I've flown on a couple YUL/YYZ-ORD flights on AC metal on UA award tix and I've never had the option. It's there, but always errors out online. I"ve never pushed in person or online, but it always sounds (at least online) you have to be booked on an AC ticket (and presumably a non award ticket).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chicago747

There's been multiple reports of partner ticketed UA metal flights offering TOD buyups at check in. If the inventory levels stay high, you can almost be guaranteed to see one.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by salisboss
EWR-ATL on Y-fare. It has been stuck at $96 for a week. Is that a good price?
Very, in fact I'm shocked it's that low. I typically see RDU-IAD which is about a third of that distance for $90.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Jan 22nd: DUB-EWR traveling on an L fare...a week out upgrade was $1,449; T-96 1,149; T-48 $2,900 (or something close to $3k); T-24 up until boarding $829. 763 swap to hard product Polaris seats. Was in E+ with an empty seat next to me which made all the difference. The biz cabin looked insanely tight and cramped up there even with empty seats.

Last edited by Sterndogg; Jan 23, 2019 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
UA ORD-PVG 1/19

$800 at online check-in & at the airport. Offer declined. Switched to refurbed 772 at T24; flight about 1/3 empty across all cabins including the new premium plus. This wasn't me, but a friend traveling for work. I would have snatched the offer or at least forced myself into premium plus since I believe his work did pay for E+.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX - EWR 787-10, no offer (booked in PP bulkhead at least)

EWR-BTV, $90 from L fare, passed. ERJ-175 with 0/12 booked about 2 weeks out, hopefully will CPU this 1 hour flight!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Upsells on EWRLAX 787-10

I applied a RPU (don’t laugh I know it was a lost cause) on my 30JAN EWRLAX flight and I know it won’t clear; watching the upgrade lists everyday for the past weeks it appears that no one clears for upgrades.

After ticket was booked, initially got a $699 offer, then $799, now it comes up at $449. I know this is a hard route to upgrade and I would like to fly on the 787-10....anyone have any history on this particular flight and whether that’s around the usual price?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I applied a RPU (don’t laugh I know it was a lost cause) on my 30JAN EWRLAX flight and I know it won’t clear; watching the upgrade lists everyday for the past weeks it appears that no one clears for upgrades.

After ticket was booked, initially got a $699 offer, then $799, now it comes up at $449. I know this is a hard route to upgrade and I would like to fly on the 787-10....anyone have any history on this particular flight and whether that’s around the usual price?
As mentioned above, I just booked the other way, LAX-EWR 787-10, on a Wed (similar to your flight on a Wed), and my offer is $1296. So $449 isn't too bad, especially for the westbound flight, prob 7 hours of total seat time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Various
I received an offer of $649 on a V->P IAH-MUC flight about 2 weeks out from departure. The offer came up when I was checking if my GPU had cleared yet. :-/
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mechteach
I received an offer of $649 on a V->P IAH-MUC flight about 2 weeks out from departure. The offer came up when I was checking if my GPU had cleared yet. :-/
That's an offer I would consider if I see that Business Class is getting heavily packed, especially if there are still very good seats available. In that case, taking the offer guarantees a better seat than a last minute seat assignment.

I mean, kind of guarantees as with all the planes swaps you never know what your seat will be until you sit in it (and some FTers say that you don't know what your seat will be until you arrive at your destination).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Should bottom out around $309 at check-in if inventory is favorable, but that's always a gamble. $450 is not bad.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mechteach
I would take that for an overnight flight that's nearly 10 hours long. That's the cheapest upsell offer I've heard of for a transatlantic flight not from the East Coast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.