Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Today I was #3 for 3 seats left with an hour before boarding. 2 min before boarding starts, they haven’t cleared the list, so I walk over and politely ask if they’re going to clear upgrades. “We dont clear upgrades until half an hour before departure in case someone wants to buy up during check in,” was the response I got.

So boarding begins 10-15 minutes before the upgrade list clears? So then I should just stand and wait by the counter and not board while I wait for the upgrade?

I can accept that they wait until boarding *begins* to clear upgrades. It’s their prerogative to try to sell seats and make some extra $$. But waiting until after groups 1 and 2 (and preboarding) means that the people who get upgraded have to relocate to the front of the cabin after taking their seats.

And if I choose to wait by the counter, then that’s just more inconvenient time sitting around. If I have a carry on it means no carry on space.

In this case, it meant that I didn’t get to use the restroom. I was waiting by the gate instead of being on the plane. Then the rather rude and snippy first class attendant wouldn’t let me use the bathroom shortly before the door closed.

And this is the first time in 9 flights over the past month that I’ve gotten an upgrade. I can accept not getting upgrades on cheap fares, but I found today’s customer service crappy. My experience probably would have been better without worrying about or getting the upgrade. Thanks UA.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bigwings8
So then I should just stand and wait by the counter and not board while I wait for the upgrade?

And if I choose to wait by the counter, then that’s just more inconvenient time sitting around. If I have a carry on it means no carry on space.

In this case, it meant that I didn’t get to use the restroom. I was waiting by the gate instead of being on the plane. Then the rather rude and snippy first class attendant wouldn’t let me use the bathroom shortly before the door closed.

Well before there was a UA app - and buyup's - it was customary to stand by the counter and have no clue where you stood with upgrades. You'd usually get a customary - first class has check in full, or will Mr. So and So, and Ms. So and So wait by the gate for a possible upgrade - or, walk up to the counter and go, do I have a chance? And more often than not, practically the entire plane was onboard before they called your name for the upgrade. So - it is much better now than the old days.

You can board your original seat assignment - keep refreshing the app. There is a risk they will skip you though if you can't verify you want the upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:14 pm

Today I was #3 for 3 seats left with an hour before boarding. 2 min before boarding starts, they haven’t cleared the list, so I walk over and politely ask if they’re going to clear upgrades. “We dont clear upgrades until half an hour before departure in case someone wants to buy up during check in,” was the response I got.

So boarding begins 10-15 minutes before the upgrade list clears? So then I should just stand and wait by the counter and not board while I wait for the upgrade?

That seems like an outlier. Maybe a lazy agent was hoping purchased upgrades would cause them less work. Most clear the list before boarding.

I wrote in when a GA didn’t clear #1 into an open seat. I was #3 and had no chance so boarded. I wrote in on principle after I realized what happened. (Flight had come in full and FA confirmed no seat problem.)

Consider writing in with your concerns. Keep it short.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:37 pm

I can accept that they wait until boarding *begins* to clear upgrades. It’s their prerogative to try to sell seats and make some extra $$. But waiting until after groups 1 and 2 (and preboarding) means that the people who get upgraded have to relocate to the front of the cabin after taking their seats.
This operating procedure became standard when CO took over running the airline after the merger. Lasted for several years but was abolished a couple of years ago in my experience. Must have been a GA on a bad day longing for the CO days. It’s asinine for the reasons you stated. I would write in about it.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee
Example:

Seeing as you don't even understand how the process works, your conclusions are not really sound.

CPUs can be difficult these days, but they definitely happen.
You are wrong, Global Services would still show on the upgrade list. The seats disappeared after the check in cutoff so it could not have been a SDC.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and it has for years. While some GAs will start clearing before boarding, that’s against policy. Forget TODs; prior to the check-in window closing, they could sell a full F seat.

Your options, as have been pointed out, are to wait to board or to go ahead and board and then move forward when the upgrade comes through. I’ve only seen one report in the last couple of years of someone being skipped because they had already boarded; that’s definitely not policy. The GA will come on with upgraded boarded passes as necessary, or you can move up when you see your upgrade come through on the app.

Originally Posted by aero0729
You are wrong, Global Services would still show on the upgrade list. The seats disappeared after the check in cutoff so it could not have been a SDC.
The upgrade list has been broken for weeks, and it appears to be even more broken than usual recently. I wouldn’t necessarily draw any conclusions from what you described. In fact, it’s extremely difficult to do a TOD purchase after check-in cutoff, so I don’t know that it could have been a TOD either.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aero0729
Actually, the "upgraded" list function is currently broken and the display cannot be relied upon to tell you anything.

But continue on in ignorance
Thanks UA.
You got upgraded. End of story.

And as noted, it's not at all uncommon for GAs to wait until the check-in cut-off to process upgrades. I can remember many times in the pre-merger days hanging around the counter until after boarding had completed to pick up my upgraded F BP. I don't recall ever being angry about that or considering it "crappy service."

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 20, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Didn’t you previously say that you deliberately chose to book some segments on LH either last year or the year before? And I recall you were pretty close.

Luckily UA flies direct to pretty much everywhere I need to go so I don’t have to go out of my way to consolidate spend.
I did book some flights with LH actually it was now 3 years ago and at the time didn't fully realize the dollars spent had to be exclusively ALL UA metal and yes that probably cost me GS that year with a UA dollar spend of around $42K and at least another $15K on *A. As I recall some of my first posts to FT where about just this issue. Oh well live and learn, this year I won't even be close with a spend rate sub $40K. I have done very little 4Q travel this year with no international flights in the 4Q.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Unfortunately, last-minute travelers definitely get caught up in the mix here. On flights when UA will clear upgrades in advance — which isn’t all of them, but which does happen — it can lead to higher-status, late-purchasing passengers sitting in Y while lower-status passengers sit in F. I’m not sure why they do it that way, but it’s been going on for years and UA hasn’t done anything about it, so it’s obviously not much of a priority for them.
For a while, UA was only clearing 1Ks in advance unless IM had left R>2 (which was pretty rare) and then running the rest of the list down to F2 around T-24. The only deviations I've seen from that have been even more restrictive, so not sure how well they hold on to this. The overall trend is definitely true though, especially is those last 2 seats go to non-upgrades something over 50% of the time IME. If I haven't cleared by T-24, I don't expect to.

IME, most GAs will run the upgrade list immediately before calling boarding. Some deviate a little on either side, as I think they're supposed to wait until check-in closes, which is technically after most flights would start boarding. You don't need to be present to get an upgrade -- they will go onto the plane if you've already boarded, or inform you when you scan the old Y BP (assuming you were in the lounge when the list was run).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
IME. If I haven't cleared by T-24, I don't expect to.
Yes, and a corollary is, if I buy inside T-96, and they've already run a sweep, I'm probably not going to clear, especially on a discount fare.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Lhr-lax ua935 11/21

$829 via app, kiosk, and gate agent. Didn’t bite as have full row to myself.
All biz fare buckets incl. PZ were 9’s right up until departure. Cleared about 13 NRSA’s
L fare on Swiss ticket stock so wasn’t able to see options in UA app until the inbound LX flight had pushed back and closed out
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
I did book some flights with LH actually it was now 3 years ago and at the time didn't fully realize the dollars spent had to be exclusively ALL UA metal and yes that probably cost me GS that year with a UA dollar spend of around $42K and at least another $15K on *A. As I recall some of my first posts to FT where about just this issue. Oh well live and learn, this year I won't even be close with a spend rate sub $40K. I have done very little 4Q travel this year with no international flights in the 4Q.
What I've read is that the above alone is insufficient and that the spend also needs to be in the higher revenue fare buckets. Would be interesting to find out if there are instances of someone who flew a LOT in deep discount fares, reached the unpublished spend target, but still wasn't eligible for GS.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee

You got upgraded. End of story.

And as noted, it's not at all uncommon for GAs to wait until the check-in cut-off to process upgrades. I can remember many times in the pre-merger days hanging around the counter until after boarding had completed to pick up my upgraded F BP. I don't recall ever being angry about that or considering it "crappy service."
1kvoice seemed to agree with my original sentiment: I wrote in and said that I thought beginning boarding before clearing upgrades was operationally inefficient and a less than optimal experience to GS and 1k who board and then switch seats. I also mentioned not getting to use the bathroom. They apologized, passed my feedback onto the crew / gate agent for that day, and gave me a travel cert.

If they had said “our policy is to wait until checkin closes to clear upgrades,” then I could have accepted that reasoning too (though I still would have thought it inefficient in all but money-making aspects).
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
First time I have seen such a juicy offer.
Got $689 on LHR-SFO for 11/24. Said I was #5 on the list with two seats remaining. Mulled it over for a bit. When I went back it was $699 and the only window seat left was gone but I smashed that Buy button. Well worth it for nearly 12 hours when I have to fly back out 24 hours later, even in a middle seat.

Last edited by JAaronT; Nov 23, 2018 at 11:01 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Watched the price from when I booked until I was at the gate, never dropped below $200, for EWR-AUS today. Full economy, 9 booked first (up until this week there had been 3 booked). 11 upgrades cleared. As well as 4 standby (all into economy plus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.