Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by bigwings8
I've flown every week for the past month. 1K on basically bottom-of-the-barrel fares (L, K, etc). I've been around #5-10 for upgrades on most flights. But also, I've seen *no one* getting upgraded on any of these. Granted, I was flying mainline routes between SFO, IAH, EWR, BOS, but still I was surprised to see no checkmarked people on any of the lists.

Do buy-ups show up as upgraded on the list? Or is the reason that no one is "upgraded" because United has found the sweet spot in pricing to get people to bite?
I am striking out completely! Here is where I have stand since Oct 1

FLL-IAH E Fare #1 for 5 open seats 3 hours before . No known offer - Did not clear
IAH-ABQ E Fare #1 for 0 seats Did not clear
ABQ-ORD E Fare #1 for 1 seats T-2 Hours Did not clear
ORD - IAH M Fare #1 for 2 seats at booking that morning - Did not clear
IAH - FLL M Fare #1 for 4 seats at booking that morning - Did not cleat
FLL-SLC (Delta Diamond Did not clear) #3 for 0 seats at booking
SLC - IAH E Fare #1 for 0 seats - Did not clear
IAH - ORD E Fare #1 for 0 seats m the 3 seats opened up, all got sold within 2 hours of the flight! Did not clear

All travel is on Wednesdays except the SLC-IAH-ORD was Nov 16th, Friday

I called the 1K desk and was given a $200 voucher due to my high spend and low upgrade percentage after I complained.

My total since status matching from DL - 3 upgrades out of 37 legs. One MCO-SFO one SFO-FLL and one SFO - SMF

The United Comp upgrade program is useless. DL is a little better but I am enjoying much easier access to Economy Plus Seats so Id still pick UA over DL.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aero0729
Looks like you are booking last minute tix on flights with nearly fully booked F cabins. Can understand your frustration, but about the results I'd expect in that scenario.

Are you Plat or 1K?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by gmt4
Buyups do not appear with a checkmark on the upgrade list.
I haven't done a buy up this year (so maybe it has changed) but last year at least 4 times I did a buy up (Between T-24 and T-0) I got the check mark next to my name in the upgraded standby list, my girlfriend as well ... IF I did a Buy Up outside of OLCI then I didn't get a checkmark
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee

Are you Plat or 1K?
1K.... and yes all last minute bookings. not sure that matters. Is UA processing upgrades ahead of time ?

Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1K.... and yes all last minute bookings. not sure that matters. Is UA processing upgrades ahead of time ?

Yes (sometimes). 1Ks may be cleared as early as T-96, and in most instances that's when you have best chance of clearing. If you buy inside T-48, when UA may have already cleared 1K, Plats, and Gold, your odds drop precipitously.

Aircraft also matters quite a bit. 319/320 are nearly impossible due to small F cabins.

My "sit in back" experiences this year were all last minute purchases.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:10 am

Yes (sometimes). 1Ks may be cleared as early as T-96, and in most instances that's when you have best chance of clearing. If you buy inside T-48, when UA may have already cleared 1K, Plats, and Gold, your odds drop precipitously.

Aircraft also matters quite a bit. 319/320 are nearly impossible due to small F cabins.

My "sit in back" experiences this year were all last minute purchases.
I see open seats all the time within a few hours and I am always #1 on the list. why is it they care nothing for those who are spending the most?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:35 am

I see open seats all the time within a few hours and I am always #1 on the list. why is it they care nothing for those who are spending the most?
UA's highest spending customers are called "Global Services" and they are treated quite well indeed.

There's an acronym from the DL forum that sometimes is applicable here as well . . . it's "WFBF" (want first, buy first).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:07 am

UA's highest spending customers are called "Global Services" and they are treated quite well indeed.

There's an acronym from the DL forum that sometimes is applicable here as well . . . it's "WFBF" (want first, buy first).
I could have been Global Services, what the different. They leave the entire upgrade list not upgraded. I was #1 , I couldn't have had more priority.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I am striking out completely! Here is where I have stand since Oct 1

FLL-IAH E Fare #1 for 5 open seats 3 hours before . No known offer - Did not clear
IAH-ABQ E Fare #1 for 0 seats Did not clear
ABQ-ORD E Fare #1 for 1 seats T-2 Hours Did not clear
ORD - IAH M Fare #1 for 2 seats at booking that morning - Did not clear
IAH - FLL M Fare #1 for 4 seats at booking that morning - Did not cleat
FLL-SLC (Delta Diamond Did not clear) #3 for 0 seats at booking
SLC - IAH E Fare #1 for 0 seats - Did not clear
IAH - ORD E Fare #1 for 0 seats m the 3 seats opened up, all got sold within 2 hours of the flight! Did not clear

I called the 1K desk and was given a $200 voucher due to my high spend and low upgrade percentage after I complained.

My total since status matching from DL - 3 upgrades out of 37 legs. One MCO-SFO one SFO-FLL and one SFO - SMF

The United Comp upgrade program is useless. DL is a little better but I am enjoying much easier access to Economy Plus Seats so Id still pick UA over DL.
I feel your pain. I haven't got an upgrade on my last 9 segments. Not get getting any love from United as a lowly Gold.

Just got screwed on the upgrade list today. There was 1 seat left in first and I was number 1 on the list. Then someone with higher status came in 15 mins before boarding and took it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I could have been Global Services, what the different. They leave the entire upgrade list not upgraded. I was #1 , I couldn't have had more priority.
GS clear with higher frequency and sooner -- they clear out of PN space, not restricted to CPU space. So they are less likely to be waitlisted (still happens) so with the changes on the display of cleared upgrades you may not be aware of how many have cleared before you.

So yes, GS have a higher priority than you -- but you just don't see it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

In addition to the 1K CPUs that can be processed at T-96, there are also the RPUs that may clear weeks in advance. I apply RPUs to all my flights that are booked about 2 months in advance. Many clear immediately at booking or weeks in advance. To the point that I used all my RPUs + the RPUs that my wife had as she does not really fly domestic.

When it's waiting for an upgrade at the gate and I'm number 1 on the list, it gets sold out under me or somebody from another flight decides to switch to my flight. Coming back from DCA in August, I was number 1 but somebody appeared on the waitlist ahead of me 5 minutes before boarding. To the point that the Gate Agent did not even realize that that person had appeared on the list and asked me to wait while boarding (when I scanned my boarding pass). That person got the upgrade.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
When it's waiting for an upgrade at the gate and I'm number 1 on the list, it gets sold out under me or somebody from another flight decides to switch to my flight.
Example: I just changed from flight today, to flight tomorrow, PHX-SFO. Paid C fare. Took the last F seat on a 320.

I'm sure someone thinks they've been cheated out of an upgrade.

Seeing as you don't even understand how the process works, your conclusions are not really sound.

CPUs can be difficult these days, but they definitely happen.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Example: I just changed from flight today, to flight tomorrow, PHX-SFO. Paid C fare. Took the last F seat on a 320.

I'm sure someone thinks they've been cheated out of an upgrade.
The good news is that I know how the system works so I don't think that I'm cheated out of the upgrade, even when it happens 5 minutes before boarding. The reality is that, if I did not have to pay so much out of my pocket for the upfares/upgrades on international long hauls, I would purchase the TODs on domestic flights if my RPU or CPU did not clear at T-96. Priorities.....
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:24 pm

If people stop purchasing the TODs, then we can go back to getting free upgrades. First Class is worth free and not much more...who pays $150 for 2 hours in a domestic first seat?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
who pays $150 for 2 hours in a domestic first seat?
People who can afford it.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.