Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
EWR - MSP. $179 for several days before check-in and at check-in. Declined up to check-in at T-23. CPU processed at T-21.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
SFO-MSP and v/v now seeing $239 with basically wide open inventory (PN2 R0, and PN9 R5). Seems like inflation might slowly be taking hold.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
EWR-IAH on a 772 run one week out: $169. I took it as a Gold on a T fare.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
$309 IAD-SFO in 2 weeks. 3/16 booked so far. Might take my chances and see if the rate drops any more in the coming days....
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:12 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 764toHI
EWR-IAH on a 772 run one week out: $169. I took it as a Gold on a T fare.
What did it rebook into?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
P - app shows 200% PQM and 1.5 PQS but PQD is unchanged

Originally Posted by dshafiee
What did it rebook into?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 764toHI
P - app shows 200% PQM and 1.5 PQS but PQD is unchanged
From experience, this is correct. Alway's books into P, with the PQM and PQS bonus, but nothing for PQD.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
From experience, this is correct. Alway's books into P, with the PQM and PQS bonus, but nothing for PQD.
It definitely doesn't always book into P, but when it does rebook into P, the PQM and PQS bonuses usually occur. I still recommend assuming that they won't be credited, so that the only possible surprise is a positive one.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Where does everyone see up sell offers before TOD? I'm interested in an upcoming flight but don't see any offers. Possibly due to being waitlisted on an MUA?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
Where does everyone see up sell offers before TOD? I'm interested in an upcoming flight but don't see any offers. Possibly due to being waitlisted on an MUA?
That has been my experience: when I waitlisted a MUA I did not see an upsell offer before the TOD. I even thought about removing the MUA to see if I would get an acceptable offer but then worried that I would lose my position in the potential MUA upgrade list. And I'm not yet convinced that TODs are offered at check-in when a MUA is waitlisted. Maybe that's the time to remove the MUA. But then TODs are not offered all the time: we did not get an offer to upgrade to Polaris First even when only 3/8 seats were sold.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
It definitely doesn't always book into P, but when it does rebook into P, the PQM and PQS bonuses usually occur. I still recommend assuming that they won't be credited, so that the only possible surprise is a positive one.
I only fly domestic for the most part, and of the 20 times or so I've paid for the upgrade (TOD), it always been to P, always included the PQM and PQS bonus, and never the PQD. Sadly it's still segments that I make anything on, and far exceed the spend requirement for respective levels. I choose the TOD's for personal comfort after a long week, not for meeting the next potential level. As a lowly Gold, I know my upgrade chances are very low.

While it doesn't impact me, I do think it's absurd that the paid upgrades don't count toward PQD... If I were someone that actually needed this, I would be annoyed.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Aug 9, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:17 pm

My experience is that any upgrade waitlisted with instruments (MUA, RPU, GPU) takes away the upsell offer. Even on the day of departure I don't see TOD at all if I am already on the upgrade waitlist.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:19 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I only fly domestic for the most part, and of the 20 times or so I've paid for the upgrade (TOD), it always been to P, always included the PQM and PQS bonus, and never the PQD. Sadly it's still segments that I make anything on, and far exceed the spend requirement for respective levels. I choose the TOD's for personal comfort after a long week, not for meeting the next potential level. As a lowly Gold, I know my upgrade chances are very low.
My always books into P as well, unless only C/D/Z/A are available and then books into those, even for domestic first.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by B747SP
My experience is that any upgrade waitlisted with instruments (MUA, RPU, GPU) takes away the upsell offer. Even on the day of departure I don't see TOD at all if I am already on the upgrade waitlist.
With waitlisted GPUs, my wife and I did get TOD at check-in on a PVG-ORD flight in January. And I do recall getting upsell offers with waitlisted RPUs. It's for the MUA that I never got it. And that's when I would be the most interested in getting a TOD as usually (when I don't have a MUA) it's around $800-$900 which would be a better deal than Miles + $550. So, that I would still have the miles for the next flights I need to do a MUA.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Is there anyway to do TOD upgrades offered T-24 on the app? Or it must be done on OLCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.