Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I was asking if anyone ever had this book into P class - and not get charged.
I don't understand. You said the pending charges are on your card.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I don't understand. You said the pending charges are on your card.
They've been cleared. Should've added that. I guess I got lucky
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I was asking if anyone ever had this book into P class - and not get charged.
This has happened before and usually, it is caught prior departure.

In a similar circumstance, there is Miles and/or CoPay not deducted on award booking/ upgrade
So maybe you will be lucky, but a good chance UA will notice this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
update:

she declined the upgrade:

#2 paid her $300 cash so that he and his wife could upgrade together. There's more still....

I'll post when I get to HNL.

David
#2 first talked to the gate agent to make the offer.

The gate agent then went on to the plane to let my daughter know what #2 was offering and then had my daughter follow her back out to the podium. That's when my daughter accepted the offer:

She (my daughter) had brought a bunch of homework to complete, was properly ensconced in 21F with no one in 21E (and row 20 completely empty) and thought it was both simpler to stay in hobo 1st and felt that the $300 was quite reasonable. Also she doesn't usually sleep on planes nor sit in E+ unless she's traveling with me, so she was happy where she was. And, asking her now after the fact, would not change her decision knowing that it was an IPTE seat.

So, after have accepted the $300, got back on the plane and told me about her decision (but none of the details until we landed) and went back to 21F.

That's when I posted - but there's still more.

#2 then boarded, came to me in 2B and asked (politely) if I'd be willing to move to 4A so that he could sit next to his wife who'd been given 2A (which was open for a reason I later found out).

Mindful of a recent thread in this forum as well knowing who'd he paid to be able to get into 1st, I indicated that I wasn't willing to move and that I had selected that seat for a reason. For myself, knowing the catering issues that have happened on US flights, the lack of desire to have to climb over someone to get out to the aisle as well as not sitting with my back against the front E+/Y lavatory, I didn't want to move from 2B - tho' all I'd stated was that I'd picked my seat for a reason.

He and she accepted that I wasn't going to move so she slid over and into 2A for a moment before then sliding back out to the aisle. That's when the person who was in 4B came forward and sat in 2A. He agreed to swap so they could sit together and stated he was willing to do the climb each time he had to get up and out of his seat.

In talking with the former 4B, it turns out he was the other person upgraded after check in. He'd been put into 2A but moved to 4B since, as a 1K, noticed that I'd been upgraded and the next person on the list had the same last name and decided to have 2A available assuming that #1 on the upgrade list was indeed related to LEE, D and then LEE, M could sit in 2A. Wow.

After all was said and done, my daughter is now $300 richer, 2A and 4A got to sit next to each other, I got my CPU (as did 4B) on a Hawaii bound 752 with lie flats, I got the breakfast I wanted, the elites on the flight that were on the upgrade list didn't bite at any of UA's buy up offers either at post non-F ticket purchase, at check-in nor later offers, I didn't have to use an instrument, and had an interesting end post follow up for Flyertalkers to chew on.

(All of that being said, my daughter didn't finish doing her homework, we got to HNL, she's had her tour and meetings at University of Hawaii Manoa and gets to make her decision as to whether she wants to go to this institution of learning.)

David
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Upgrade Offers

Not sure if this qualifies as "TODs" but here's the summary of my Upgrade Offers so far in 2018:

Date of Purchase: 3-14-2018
Date of Travel: 8-18-2018
Itinerary: Two o/w tickets in "G" class ORD-TPA
Offer: $159 each to upgrade to "P" Class
Offer Date/Execution: o/o/a April 1
Decision: Accepted and purchased the upgrade
Rational: o/w tickets were $62.50 each; lets splurge and I need the extra PQMs

Date of Purchase: 4-7-18
Dates of Travel: 5-16 to 5-28-2018
Itinerary: R/T RSW-ORD-RSW in "G" Class
Offer: $510 to Upgrade RSW-ORD; $159 to Upgrade ORD-RSW
Offer Date: 4-7-2018 (immediately after purchase on line)
Decision: Pass on the RSW-ORD; Accepted and booked the "P" Class upgrade ORD-RSW
Rational: Ticket for Daughter *S MP who needed some extra baggage allowance for the ORD-RSW segement; also the extra PQMs will help her remain *S

Date of Purchase: 4-27-2018 (still within the 24 hour free Cancellation Window)
Dates of Travel: 6-21 to 8-7-2018
Itinerary: (1) R/T ORD-TPA-ORD and (1) O/W ORD-TPA all segments in "G" Class
Offer: $159 to upgrade each segment to "P" Class
Offer Date: Immediately after eTicketing
Decision: Pass on all
Rational: Possibility that we might cancel or change the trip and the Upgrade Fee is neither changeable nor transferrable
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
After all was said and done, my daughter is now $300 richer, 2A and 4A got to sit next to each other, I got my CPU (as did 4B) on a Hawaii bound 752 with lie flats, I got the breakfast I wanted, the elites on the flight that were on the upgrade list didn't bite at any of UA's buy up offers either at post non-F ticket purchase, at check-in nor later offers, I didn't have to use an instrument, and had an interesting end post follow up for Flyertalkers to chew on.
^

Thanks for sharing the details. $300 was a good deal for 4A. I would have held out for more if Y was full, but 21F with an empty middle is not a bad ride.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm a Platinum traveling with 4 award tickets to ITO (Hilo, HI) from LAX, all on the same PNR. This flight is wide open in 1st and coach+ two months out. I'm assuming that while the KOA (Kona) flight would have a lot of elites that the ITO flight will be filled mostly with local's (or volcano watchers?). Anyone know of the paid upgrade cost and or likelihood on LAX-ITO flights to buy up into 1st? I'm assuming that I won't be offered an online upgrade because these are award mileage tickets and there are 4 pax.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
^

Thanks for sharing the details. $300 was a good deal for 4A. I would have held out for more if Y was full, but 21F with an empty middle is not a bad ride.
+1. I was skeptical at first, but given the caveat of 21 (or honestly any E+ seat for me) with an empty middle, I would do it for $300 no problem.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
After Purchase Upgrade Offer

EWR-PBI on a K fare - later this month. standard $159 BUY UP offer immediately after purchase. After ticketed, went back to check and see if price changed and still showing $159 to upgrade. Will most likely cancel ticket (within 24 hours) and just use AMEX PLAT points for J and not play the waiting game for a possibly OLCI $$99-119. At $301 in J after rebates 19K points it's pretty reasonable.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Dummy booking LAX-BOS (L fare) in a few weeks. After purchase UA offered $2,419 to upgrade to F. Largest amount I've seen on a domestic route.

It's easy to find F on other airlines nonstop or 1-stop via UA for $6XX.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Just book the 1-stop and hope for SDC availability for a ps route (LAX-SFO-BOS or LAX-EWR-BOS). If the timing works for you, there's a 777 flying LAX-DEN, and a dreamliner flying LAX-IAH. LAX-IAH-BOS would get you two meals, which is a decent alternative to ps if there's no SDC availability for ps.

I did just this last week Booked LAX-IAH-BOS, SDCed to LAX-EWR-BOS.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Dummy booking LAX-BOS (L fare) in a few weeks. After purchase UA offered $2,419 to upgrade to F. Largest amount I've seen on a domestic route.

It's easy to find F on other airlines nonstop or 1-stop via UA for $6XX.
The other half of the story is that UA wanted $739 to upgrade BOS-LAX (738). I purchased D1 flatbed nonstop similar departure time for $698. C'mon UA, make this route flatbed.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:30 pm

Hey FTers,

I've updated the United Upgrade offers spreadsheet up to this point (including CPM calculations for the upgrade offers).

Let me know if there are any questions/feedback.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 3, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
OLCI offer $99 CLE-IAD, Q fare, Silver, CRJ700. Declined.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123
OLCI offer $99 CLE-IAD, Q fare, Silver, CRJ700. Declined.
As a Cleveland flyer, I've found my offers departing from CLE are often higher than those when I am returning. Out of curiosity, what has your experience been in this regard?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.