Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beleive the change fee is a manual process and never offered online. There are a number of restrictions on GG BUYUP -- such as exact same flights.
I absolutely have been able to do it online in the past. You would go to the "upgrade flight" link & it would give you the option of $$$ OR miles/RPU/GPU. ....
The OP was specifically querying about the Change Flight option, have never seen the GG BUYUP provision handled in the Change Flight process.

You are referring to the Upgrade Flight process and agree it does not incurring a change fee --- just unclear if you are upfaring or paying an non-PQD, PQM earning upgrade fee. Some prefer the change flight method to ensuring they will received the PQD, PQM benefits. The opaqueness of that option has been an issue and it may have gotten worse.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
The OP was specifically querying about the Change Flight option, have never seen the GG BUYUP provision handled in the Change Flight process.

You are referring to the Upgrade Flight process and agree it does not incurring a change fee --- just unclear if you are upfaring or paying an non-PQD, PQM earning upgrade fee. Some prefer the change flight method to ensuring they will received the PQD, PQM benefits. The opaqueness of that option has been an issue and it may have gotten worse.
Ok. I did not notice that the OP was asking about the change flight screen/procedure.

Prior to recently (I just noticed it this weekend), the upgrade flight option treated it like upfaring. Now the system appears to be treating it like an upgrade fee (No PQM/PQD bonus). A big negative from where I am sitting. Now the only way to upfare (GG BUYUP) appears to be calling in. And from my experience this weekend, it is painful as the agents are hesitant to waive the change fee and have to loop in a supervisor which takes time on hold.

My fear is that they may roll this new policy out to the phone agents and GG BUYUP will go away.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:23 pm

So if the "Upgrade Reservation" choice on the desktop site is supposed to handle upfaring, shouldn't every flight with F9 offer an upfare if requested? I've got a single segment flight ticketed in Y, currently showing F9, and when I go to "Upgrade Reservation" and select the "Purchase Upgrade" tab, I get "online upgrade not available". I'm wondering if this is because I've already stuck an RPU on it and am waitlisted there?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:36 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by Starman
So if the "Upgrade Reservation" choice on the desktop site is supposed to handle upfaring, shouldn't every flight with F9 offer an upfare if requested? I've got a single segment flight ticketed in Y, currently showing F9, and when I go to "Upgrade Reservation" and select the "Purchase Upgrade" tab, I get "online upgrade not available". I'm wondering if this is because I've already stuck an RPU on it and am waitlisted there?
I always see the “online upgrade not available” on flights purchased through my corporate travel agent. Something that CWT does breaks all of UA.com’s functionality.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all of the replies.

In almost a year of flying United, I've only seen a cash upgrade offer in the "Upgrade Reservation" section one or two times. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I've probably had CPUs clear on a third of those flights and/or been able to do P-fare buy-ups without a change fee on another third.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The upgrade reservation cash offer can be hit or miss but putting an instrument or an upgrade with miles request on the PNR will kill the cash offer every time. I think its because SHARES sees the waitlisted segment in the front cabin at a $0 fare and can't figure out a way to upfare.

Many years ago (when I was a Gold) my then girlfriend (now wife) flew CLE-ORD-LHR for our dating anniversary. In retrospect I think an agent at checkin tried to "surprise and delight" us by listing us for the BusinesFirst cabin which caused all kinds of confusion when I asked about upgrading at the club --- who told me to call reservations. Reservations put me on hold like 3 times and then told me that the "system" was telling her that the upgrade cost would be $0 but she valued her job too much to confirm it since it "clearly had to be wrong" suggested I ask at the gate at ORD. At ORD the BF cabin was showing full so never bothered asked an agent, but onboard looking at the flight status I noticed KIN/L and MCP/R (coincidentally, our initials) were #1 and #2 on the BF standby list.

The only two ways I can see that happening are either the agent at checkin listing us without saying anything or the reservation agent really botching something when she was trying to figure out the upfare.

The other potential, but less likely in your case, issue is just because inventory is open doesn't mean there's a fare published for your routing that can be ticketed in the fare. Married segment logic can be "interesting"/have some interesting side effects.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Apr 2, 2018 at 9:22 am Reason: Add detail about trip
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Upcoming trip
Roc-ewr 739 $119 declined (got CPU at t-48)
Ewr-SFO 772HD Ranged from $429-$2899 Declined
SFO-ORD 772 HD $199- Accepted as Redeye
ORD-ROC $119 declined, waiting for CPU
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

Skype, Google Voice, ... or signup for international service on your phone
Or call the local (and this case toll-free) Panama number:

00-800-044-0001
(507)-265-0040

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...landsouth.aspx
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
Or call the local (and this case toll-free) Panama number:

00-800-044-0001
(507)-265-0040

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...landsouth.aspx
I asked about this a while back but I don't believe anyone replied: Does calling those numbers connect the caller to the local office (if during business hours) or to UA's main phone line? I assume the local offices can handle the GG BUYUPs, but given that the main phone agents rarely know what I'm talking about, I'd imagine the local agents would have even less experience. Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Was offered both YVR-ORD and ORD-YVR upgrades for 199 per way. Didn't take the offer but evidently people did as both flights went from 8/6 F seats booked to fully booked after check in opened with only 3/1 upgrades clearing and countless others (including mine) not clearing. Sigh. Thanks for nothing
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by CLG

I always see the “online upgrade not available” on flights purchased through my corporate travel agent. Something that CWT does breaks all of UA.com’s functionality.
For work travel, I am supposed to always book throughout corporate travel agency. Just like you, when I do follow the rules, I never see any upgrade availability prior to check-in.

(For the record, for international travel in premium cabins, I always use the agent. If I am looking to use upgrade certs, I find what I want and book online. For domestic, I always book online; I'm not paying agency fees to have them book flights that I spoon fed to them.)
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:51 am

Return trip, all based on original K class per below....

TPE-SFO $3549.11 advance
TPE-SFO $1959 during OLCI
SFO-DEN $269 during OLCI

All declined

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
More datapoints for March 2018......

Original booking K class

YYZ-IAD $109 declined
IAD-NRT $1749 declined
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by CLG

Me too. The only time I am allowed to upgrade a trip booked by my employer is at check-in if a TOD is available.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Past week (April 2018),
ORD-AUS S Fare $359 upgrade offer at OLCI. Declined. 3 First Class seats disappeared 2 hours before the flight. I was #2 on upgrade list. Nobody upgraded at gate. Upgrade list was 14 long.
AUS-ORD Q fare $219 upgrade offer at OLCI. Declined. 2 First Class seats disappeared 2 hours before the flight. I was #1 on upgrade list. Nobody upgraded at gate. Upgrade list was 23 long.

At these prices, the upgrades would have resulted in the same price for First Class as if I had booked the ticket in First Class on my departure day from ORD. I did not check if the offers were better 2 hours before departure from each airport since I had a bulkhead row aisle in one direction and an exit row aisle in the other direction.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Apr 7, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
4/4 - FRA-IAD W fare (upgraded to J with GPU), on 2 separate itins (I had paid for C on the outbound on my ticket, and used GPUs both directions for my wife).

At OLCI offered an upgrade to GF for $1129 (declined). My wife (1K), on a less-expensive overall ticket but identical W fare on this leg, was offered OLCI upgrade to GF for $959 (declined). My only guess as to the discrepancy has to do with how we were rebooked after misconnecting the day before: the 1K agent was able to move mine over in R without issue, but had to force my wife's into PN. Still not sure why that would affect the price of an upgrade offer, but it's the only difference I can find.

GF appeared pretty empty on the seatmap and only 1 pax at that time on the list (a NRSA based on appearing on both GF and J lists). J went out almost full (2 empty seats that I saw, probably from misconnects as we'd checked in to within 2 with 4 on the upgrade list a couple of hours before the flight), unlike the prior day we'd been scheduled to fly--Tuesday's J cabin was only half full based on # booked and the fact there were several misconnects, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.