Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul510
Hi-
I'm flying on an (XN) ticket will I be offered a purchase upgrade offer to First at T-24 check-in? I remember from pre-merger days upgrades to award tickets where never allowed at least a UA employee told me that.

Thanks,
Paul
You may; there's never a guarantee. However, I've definitely seen buy-up offers when on an XN ticket, and there are many other examples on the board.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe.

Depends on what RM / IM thinks at the time.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I usually get upgrade offers on X class tickets (presumably XN is similar). However, they have always been unreasonably really high in price.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Offer for tomorrow’s LAX-IAH flight was 159.00/pax, I jumped to upgrade son and myself. Onward IAH-MCO already cleared via CPU, so traveling to FL in style 😊 bonus: LAX-IAH is on a 787, so will be putting my feet up. App shows rebooked into P Class.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked in for CVG-IAD-RDU as a Premier Silver on a W Fare at T-24. CVG-IAD was $89 for the upgrade, IAD-RDU $79. CVG-IAD cleared a few minutes later. IAD-RDU has six people on the upgrade list, still $79. I'm not paying that when I'll have basically all of E+ to myself.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Seeking advice

Reading this thread to figure out upsell options if husband’s GPU doesn’t clear on HKG-SFO flight three weeks from now (a Sunday).
He is 1K 3MM flyer, traveling on V fare, with GPU applied at time of purchase (early January).
Business currently booked 46/60.
Current upsell price close to $3K (no thanks).

Would appreciate advice on when/how to check for offers.
Also wonder about OP’s statement “TOD offer prices are probably higher for elites”.

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
At and after checkin, if premium cabin space remains, there will be a different offer than the current one which is based only on the route and flight inventory (not on his current ticket). I think reported prices for TPAC are usually in the neighborhood of $1,089 each way, but it varies. Some people believe that elites see higher offers than non-elites, but personally I am very skeptical of this. It is also reported that if only full-fare inventory remains, the upsell will be very expensive (ca. $10,000).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
It is also reported that if only full-fare inventory remains, the upsell will be very expensive (ca. $10,000).
But inventory is extremely dynamic. If the upgrade doesn't clear, and you don't like the offer, check again later. It may have changed.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
But inventory is extremely dynamic. If the upgrade doesn't clear, and you don't like the offer, check again later. It may have changed.
Question: Will you see another offer if you have already checked in (if one is available later)? Or do you have to interrupt the check-in process if you don't like the first offer (hoping that it goes down)?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Question: Will you see another offer if you have already checked in (if one is available later)? Or do you have to interrupt the check-in process if you don't like the first offer (hoping that it goes down)?
You can complete check-in and still get the offer. Just go to the same place that offers you "more options" like SDC.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

You can complete check-in and still get the offer. Just go to the same place that offers you "more options" like SDC.
Does this work on the website now? In the past I've only ever done this from my phone.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:04 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
In 2.1 MM with UA, I don't recall ever having been offered a TOD, not once.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It is also reported that if only full-fare inventory remains, the upsell will be very expensive (ca. $10,000).
So that’s the reason for checking the alphabet soup in addition to the loads?
Currently husband's flight is J9, JN9, C9, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0 (and, of course, R0, RN0), with Business 49/60 booked
In contrast, for this coming Sunday with Business 45/60 booked, I see J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z7, ZN7, P5, PN0

Also, what’s the best way of accessing this info?
I’ve been looking at the fare bucket inventory as if making a new reservation and clicking on “details”. Is there an easier/better way?
To check loads I’ve been using the United Flight Status tool https://www.cablepick.net/united
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by arisaa
In 2.1 MM with UA, I don't recall ever having been offered a TOD, not once.
I'm a newly minted 1K that started with a status match/challenge to Platinum in 2016. I get a TOD on every one of my flights. Some I take, some I don't.

Do you check-in online? There's no way to miss the TOD if you are offered one. It's just in the area where they show you your seat choice and you can select another seat. A TOD if you take it would allow you to choose a seat in a higher class.

Or are you only traveling East Coast to California and back where the flights are full in Business Class-First Class and there are no upgrades available?

Oops, I seem to have misread IAH for IAD so you are not on the East Coast. But I would be surprised if really you never had a TOD.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blackllotus
Does this work on the website now? In the past I've only ever done this from my phone.
I'm not sure - I have seen it in the app, but it's actually very rare for me to be in Y and looking for/caring about the TOD offer. Usually if I intend to take it I just do it at booking.

Originally Posted by optimom
Also, what’s the best way of accessing this info?
I’ve been looking at the fare bucket inventory as if making a new reservation and clicking on “details”. Is there an easier/better way?
To check loads I’ve been using the United Flight Status tool https://www.cablepick.net/united
Those are the easiest ways to do those things. Usually, inventory will level out in the 24 hours before departure, so even if the flight is e.g. J8 C8 D0 with 22 hours to go, it might be J3 ZN2 P1 6 hours later. Hence jsloan's advice to check frequently. If you're looking for a TOD though, just check the offer. We don't know enough about how it depends on inventory to really say much,

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I'm a newly minted 1K that started with a status match/challenge to Platinum in 2016. I get a TOD on every one of my flights. Some I take, some I don't.
+1. This 1K sees a TOD for the route fare differential at booking for every ticket I book in Y, which is why I'm skeptical that UA is deliberately giving elites bad offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.