Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 24, 22, 8:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 22, 5:06 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Good to know, I see Economy Plus seat purchases and Travel Option Bundles get refunded on cancellations/changes permitted by the ticket (ex. permitted on award tickets) so strange purchased upgrades do not.
Old Nov 17, 22, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bought RDU-DEN-FAR today for $469 (U Fare). DEN-FAR is a CRJ-200. United wanted $809 at booking for the cheapest F fare.

After booking I was offered RDU-DEN for $249. I turned it down. I'll try my luck at PlusPoints but even if they fail I'd rather have the $249 than a crappy 738 F seat and what passes for First meals these days.
Old Nov 17, 22, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PGHflyer View Post
Good to know, I see Economy Plus seat purchases and Travel Option Bundles get refunded on cancellations/changes permitted by the ticket (ex. permitted on award tickets) so strange purchased upgrades do not.
The upgrades are often sold at a very substantial discount to the current F fare differential. In exchange for the discounted upgrade, UA takes away flexibility. It's sort of like booking a cheap nonrefundable hotel room.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Nov 18, 22, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
EWR-Europe tomorrow. I'm #4 for 9 seats on the waitlist. Buy-up is $799. They've been playing with fare class availability on this flight for weeks and keep opening up P even though seats were getting sold. Nonetheless I think I'll be waiting for my T-24h upgrade. I'm hopeful they clear down to J4 or J3 so I can secure it today instead of hoping tomrw at the gate. Really prefer Polaris Lounge access as I have a lengthy EWR layover tomrw.

-RM
Old Nov 18, 22, 5:12 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Seeing $89 for SFO-YVR mainline, a bit over 2 hours
SFO-YVR J was offered at $89 this month.

Booked an award ticket in August for November travel. The offer had been $89 until J had 3 or 4 seats available for booking. Then price went up to $189, $478, and $189. Back to $89 when J2 at T-48. I took that offer as I was not on top 2 of the upgrade list. Don't know if the last J was sold or being offered free to a premier member.
Old Nov 18, 22, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I booked a flight in Premium Plus GRU-EWR-XXX.
I upgraded at purchase the EWR-XXX and its now showing as D fare.

Ive been looking at upgrading GRU-EWR which is showing P9 and completly empty and it has been over 3K since booking.
When I look at repricing, it is offering me GRU-EWR in D and other options in C.

Question : did buying the upgrade and getting a D fare on EWR-XXX is now locking the rest of the itinerary to a D fare minimum ?
Old Nov 18, 22, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by PGHflyer View Post
I purchased an upgrade to Domestic First and my seat selection fee in economy was refunded within 3 days.
PGHflyer and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:37 pm

Weird thing happened yesterday on my daughters flight from Boston to London. I had booked her in economy using miles. When we checked her in we saw a day of departure upgrade to premium plus for $275 which we selected. However no Premium plus seats were available so her boarding pass said see agent. As she drove to the airport she looked at her boarding pass and it showed her seat as 17L in business class. The boarding pass still said premium plus but her seat was in Polaris on the plane.

So a double upgrade on a mileage award ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Does she have status ?
Old Nov 23, 22, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mvogel View Post
Weird thing happened yesterday on my daughters flight from Boston to London. I had booked her in economy using miles. When we checked her in we saw a day of departure upgrade to premium plus for $275 which we selected. However no Premium plus seats were available so her boarding pass said see agent. As she drove to the airport she looked at her boarding pass and it showed her seat as 17L in business class. The boarding pass still said premium plus but her seat was in Polaris on the plane.

So a double upgrade on a mileage award ticket.
Strange things can happen when you do a buy-up. I remember a buy-up from coach to business and getting an OPUP to first
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by benewr View Post
Does she have status ?
yes - shes a 1k as my million mile companion.
Old Nov 24, 22, 8:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We have a related question. We are 1K Chase cardholders with an economy award to LHR. The aircraft is a 767-300 high J.

The website offered us a cash upgrade to Premium Economy on the outbound (which we purchased). But the return flight shows upgrade not available. Im wondering if this availability might open up closer to our trip which is not until June? OR if the system isnt offering it because the UA return flight appears to be linked to our Aer Lingus intra Europe flight?

Thoughts?
Old Nov 24, 22, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We have a related question. We are 1K Chase cardholders with an economy award to LHR. The aircraft is a 767-300 high J.

The website offered us a cash upgrade to Premium Economy on the outbound (which we purchased). But the return flight shows upgrade not available. Im wondering if this availability might open up closer to our trip which is not until June? OR if the system isnt offering it because the UA return flight appears to be linked to our Aer Lingus intra Europe flight?

Thoughts?
My experience is that cash upgrade space does open up and priced depending on whether there is R, O or A availability on the flight. Keep checking the flight using expert mode to see. Is Premium Plus sold out on the flight?
Old Nov 24, 22, 3:42 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by mvogel View Post
My experience is that cash upgrade space does open up and priced depending on whether there is R, O or A availability on the flight. Keep checking the flight using expert mode to see. Is Premium Plus sold out on the flight?
R, O and A are all showing 9.
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:40 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Lounge upgrade.

Hi. Flying tonight SFO - AKL in Y+. I see there is still plenty of availability in C. Does UA offer cash upgrade at the lounge? If so, what price can be expected? I'm UA*G
thanks

Search this Thread