Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Is it a good deal? User j2simpso maintains a spreadsheet to help you make that determination.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 17, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Today :

BRU-EWR-BRU

Paid fare : 39 USD + 400 USD Travel certificate (compensation on a damaged luggage from a previous flight)
Booking class : K

OLCI : 550$ offer to upgrade to Polaris Business on the 787-10 for BRU-EWR

Grabbed it (8 hours transatlantic flight)

New class of travel : Business P

(that means that trip costed me 589$ return with one leg in Polaris)
nomad420 and tstauck like this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
EWR - LAX on the 787-10 in October. $2,724 offer immediately after booking. NO Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:56 am

ORD to LAX on September 29 — booked about a month ago, original upgrade from W to P was about $560, now showing as $3,842. I will not be purchasing.
Old Sep 19, 19, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jimpster View Post
Today :

BRU-EWR-BRU

Paid fare : 39 USD + 400 USD Travel certificate (compensation on a damaged luggage from a previous flight)

OLCI : 550$ offer to upgrade to Polaris Business on the 787-10 for BRU-EWR

Grabbed it (8 hours transatlantic flight)

New class of travel : Business P

(that means that trip costed me 589$ return with one leg in Polaris)
I flew BRU-EWR last week, and the day-before cost to move into Polaris was 6k. Ended up on Premium Plus seats, which were a lot more pleasant than I expected.
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:24 pm

EWR-ORD booked in S class on a 772 next month. Showing upgrade to lie-flat business for $141 today.
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Just booked a 6 legged flight to HNL and here were the upgrade offers at time of purchase:

Flight 1
  • Date : Dec 10, 2019
  • Flight : YYZ > ORD
  • Offer : $133
Flight 2
  • Flight : ORD > SFO
  • Offer : $319
Flight 3:
  • Flight : SFO > KOA
  • Offer : $378
Flight 4:
  • Date : Dec 17, 2019
  • Flight : KOA > LAX
  • Offer : $378
Flight 5:
  • Date : Dec 17, 2019
  • Flight : LAX > ORD
  • Offer : $319
Flight 6:
  • Date : Dec 18, 2019
  • Flight : ORD > YYZ
  • Offer : $133
All tickets booked into G class. No doubt all these CPU eligible flights will clear at T-48

I also had a flight last week LHR > YYZ (via ORD) booked into K(ettle) class that had some interesting upgrade offers:
  • Sep 10 - LHR > ORD upgrade was $6,535 from purchase to around OLCI after which time the offer fell to $659
  • Sep 10 - ORD > YYZ upgrade hovered between $100-$300 USD to around OLCI after which time it sky rocketed to $2,187
Upon boarding the flight to ORD I was able to quickly see why the offer fell so much - the J cabin was half filled (which also explains why my waitlisted upgrade cleared).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by merlin90 View Post
ORD to LAX on September 29 booked about a month ago, original upgrade from W to P was about $560, now showing as $3,842. I will not be purchasing.
Seeing the exact same price for ORD-SFO, 6 days out.
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: United, AAdvantage, SW
My company has an expense policy that we can upgrade to J for up to $1K per long haul flight. Just had a DEN-AMS itinerary that I was able to upgrade for under $2k round trip (DEN-FRA for ~$650, AMS-IAH for ~$1200).

I'm flying DEN-LAX-SYD tomorrow and the only upgrade offers I've seen since booking are $2500 each way for LAX-SYD. Those offers have not changed since booking.

At last check there were still 10 unsold seats in J. Should I expect the offers to change? If so, when- T-24, T-12??

I'm seeing offers to waitlist for 30k miles and $450 which is s decent deal, but I can't expense the miles portion of the upgrade so that's kind of a bummer.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Most commonly it changes along with inventory at T-24, and then fluctuates wildly around there. The low 1000s is pretty common if you can expense $1k and spend the rest out of pocket. Mileage upgrade not very likely to clear.
Kevo171 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Most commonly it changes along with inventory at T-24, and then fluctuates wildly around there. .....
So keep checking after T-24. The offering will change based on seats sold / seat picked up due to offers. If it does drop to the lower end, things may disappear quickly or not.
Kevo171 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: United, AAdvantage, SW
Looked at check in and there were 3 seats left to be bought/ upgraded to. Got an offer for $1269 to go from economy to J and took it.
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
YVR-SFO $141 from K day of departure. No thanks. I like Row 7 on the A320.

Last edited by Santander; Sep 20, 19 at 8:01 pm
Old Sep 21, 19, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
I don't know if this is intentional or a glitch, but this has always happened to me when applying an RPU or GPU.
Today I requested to remove the (still-waitlisted) RPU and the cash fare offers came back immediately for both out and return.

I asked whether using a combination of cash and certificate was disallowed, and she mentioned something I didn't quite catch about my ticket being a through fare (e.g. LHR-YVR), and there being some limitations (of the website/app) if upgrading separate parts of it (e.g. LHR-ORD & ORD-YVR) with separate methods. Maybe it's complicated and they didn't want to write that into the software, and want you to call in to get a quote.
Old Sep 22, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
EWR-BRU / Economy K to Business Polaris / 549 USD
Offered on the UA app 19 mins before boarding

Friday 20th September - 6.30pm flight - B787-10

Paid fare : 39USD + 400USD travel certificate from a damaged rimowa luggage

Flew the inbound leg BRU-EWR of that booking in Polaris thanks to a 549USD upgrade offer at T-24 (from same cheap ... K fare) during online check-in.

For this EWR-BRU flight, both Economy and Premium Plus were labelled as full and there were 2 seats open in Polaris with a long waitlist of Mileage Plus elites... No cash upgrade offer to Polaris even though I kept checking every hour or so.

They were offering an upgrade offer from Economy to Premium Plus for 549USD during check-in (T-24, T-10, T-5,...).

Declined.

I checked in at the airport and I kept checking the flight seat map on the United app at the gate every 10 minutes or so.

No hope of any op-up since I am only Elite Plus with TK which means even a United Silver would have priority over me.

Boarding time was 5.40pm and at 5.21pm, I saw on the United app they were offering the last Polaris seat of the flight for 549USD.

Felt bad for the first UA Elite on the upgrade waitlist but took the offer right away.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:26 pm

Hello guys. My 1st post on FT. Question: I have a flight from LAX to IAH, purchased a K fare and the current offer to upgrade to lay flat seats is $189... 2 weeks out. 8 of the 26 are taken. Could I possibly expect a higher or lower offer as I get closer to olci? Thx in advance.

Search this Thread