Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX - Cancun in 2 weeks $373 (PZ8 currently, not biting)

Cancun - LAX $299
Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Pray for a schedule change or flight cancelation.

The buy-ups are otherwise expressly nonchangeable and nonrefundable.

Upgrade and flight was booked two days ago, the actual flight is this weekend, Can same day flight change help with this?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by navatwal
Upgrade and flight was booked two days ago, the actual flight is this weekend, Can same day flight change help with this?
Not likely given the limited/no seats available post T-24.

David
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:55 am

Flew last week PAD-MUC-DEN-LAX. Ticket was an award ticket booked in Y.

At the gate in MUC i inquired how much an upgrade would be from Y to J on the MUC-DEN segment. Was first told can’t upgrade award ticket. Asked a second agent and was told $799. Took the upgrade.

Don’t follow this thread much, so was $799 a good deal or is that the standard going?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by B747forever

At the gate in MUC i inquired how much an upgrade would be from Y to J on the MUC-DEN segment. Was first told can’t upgrade award ticket. Asked a second agent and was told $799. Took the upgrade.

Don’t follow this thread much, so was $799 a good deal or is that the standard going?
Any upgrade costing $100 or less per hour is a good deal, IMHO.
1KChinito and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC75K
I have a Y fare (actual booking class Y) from EWR-YVR in the summer. Upgrade to First (737MAX9) is $290; E+ is $154-199. Is $290 worth it for a six-hour flight in First?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 7:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hkgboy
I have a Y fare (actual booking class Y) from EWR-YVR in the summer. Upgrade to First (737MAX9) is $290; E+ is $154-199. Is $290 worth it for a six-hour flight in First?
Do you drink alcoholic beverages?
Do you have bags to check?
Do you need workspace?
Do yo have issues fitting in economy?
Do you prefer to have more personal space?
What do you value?

Worth is a subjective term, your measure will be different than my measure.
What can be said at $290 for over five hour flight, this is a decent price.
tstauck and NJSwamplands like this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Does anyone have a theory to explain these cash upgrade prices? Is there any possibility someone in this flight will pay to UG to PE?

Cash upgrade price Y->PE and Y->J
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Does anyone have a theory to explain these cash upgrade prices?
Prices are set by algorithm and PremPlus is likely nearly sold out or oberbooked and Polaris probably has many open seats. And the present algorithm does not crosscheck.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Is there any possibility someone in this flight will pay to UG to PE?
One would hope not.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Prices are set by algorithm and PremPlus is likely nearly sold out or oberbooked and Polaris probably has many open seats. And the present algorithm does not crosscheck.

One would hope not.
Thanks.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Apr 14, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hkgboy
I paid $300 for an E>PP upgrade on a 10hr flight. I wouldn't pay $60/hr though.

Originally Posted by B747forever

Given that you had an economy award ticket, that is probably not too bad for J, especially if you didn't fork over the maximum miles for that award in the first place.
What is tricky is with the dynamic pricing, and economy award might range from 35,000-100,000. Business 80,000-170,000.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 20, 2023 at 3:02 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
LAX-ORD - $345 to First
ORD-IAH - $199 to First

I try to stick to $50/hour, but do you think that's a bit low these days? LAX-ORD seems potentially good value at $345 for a 4 hour flight?

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Apr 20, 2023 at 5:49 pm
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I try to stick to $50/hour, but do you think that's a bit low these days? ...
The "better" offers seem closer to $60-$70 / flight hour nowadays.
Craig6z, halls120 and NZ_Flyer like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by kb1992
Any upgrade costing $100 or less per hour is a good deal, IMHO.
so that would be $1500-1600 for each way to Australia? Or $1000-1100 for TATL from the West Coast?

on top of whatever you paid for Prem. Plus? Or is that rate for economy to Polaris on international?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by frappant
so that would be $1500-1600 for each way to Australia? Or $1000-1100 for TATL from the West Coast?

on top of whatever you paid for Prem. Plus? Or is that rate for economy to Polaris on international?
From economy to Polaris, domestic (EWR-LAX/SFO) or international.

For example, I see $1,000 coach fare SFO-SYD and don't mind paying $1,500 to Polaris.

Also, often I get $200 coach EWR-SFO, and I don't mind paying $500 upgrade fee to Polaris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.