Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:59 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 19, 8:30 pm

Buy now or wait for a better offer at check-in?

Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
I don't know if it is but if I could confirm today into Polaris for 30,000 miles + $350 I would jump on that as soon as possible for a 16 hour flight.
Wouldn't wait to see if there's a better offer at check-in? Ideally, I'd love to just use cash and save my miles, but not paying the ThousandOfDollars upgrade...

Also, how do I tell if this upgrade would give additional PQM or PQS?
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by msmoxie View Post
Wouldn't wait to see if there's a better offer at check-in?
If you're okay flying economy, sure. Many of us will pay a potential premium for the certainty of a confirmed business class seat.
The mileage upgrade won't. With the paid upgrade, it's uncertain, but best to assume it won't.
msmoxie, pmarrsouth and N104UA like this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Iíd jump on the syd upgrade, TOD isnít going to be cheap
msmoxie and N104UA like this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Wouldn't wait to see if there's a better offer at check-in? Ideally, I'd love to just use cash and save my miles, but not paying the ThousandOfDollars upgrade...
30K miles is worth about $600 to me, it can vary widely on how you use them

You can buy 30K miles on United right now ~$1.1K, maybe even cheaper, if you didnít want to use your own

So itís an effective cost of about $800 - $1.4K to upgrade right now. All of which is a lot less than $2.4K

As already pointed out, it might well sell out while you wait. The option to use points & miles might disappear too

Presuming you have no GPUs?
msmoxie likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:55 pm

You won't find an offer that is for less miles, in addition I would say there is an under 1% chance that the check in offer will be less than $1k. I would guess it is closer to $2k, if one is available at all at check-in.

It really just depends on how much you like to gamble and how much you value your miles. But if you want to fly business for 16 hours (which you can do for 1,875 miles + $18.75 per hour), I don't think it is a good bet to wait, especially when the offer is confirmed (if the space is still there). The cash upgrade you posted is $2,444 so if you value 30,000 at more than $2,144, then you should wait, but that value is almost $0.07 per mile which is incredible. Right now UA is willing to sell me 30,000 miles for $1,050, so even if you bought the miles to pay for the upgrade you would still come out $1,100 ahead.

IMHO regarding saving the miles, we don't know what is going to happen come Nov 15 when UA goes to a dynamic award chart and upgrade model, so holding on to your miles for something better is another gamble.
msmoxie likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
30K miles is worth about $600 to me, it can vary widely on how you use them

You can buy 30K miles on United right now ~$1.1K, maybe even cheaper,
probably closer to $600 via Mileage Accelerator
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:05 pm

Okay, y'all talked me into it. Thanks for all your replies! I haven't been traveling much lately (and not travelling UA domestically recently when I do), but should hit Silver on this flight, so hoping I can pick E+ for free on the way home.

...Now to pick which seat! I've heard mixed reviews about the bulkhead in row 1, so went with 2L.

Last edited by msmoxie; Jun 8, 19 at 10:05 pm Reason: forgot something
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
......Now to pick which seat! I've heard mixed reviews about the bulkhead in row 1, so went with 2L.
You might find Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 helpful.
msmoxie likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:16 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Thanks for the link! Read it a week ago, but still have questions so will need to go back and review.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue, Target RedCard

Posting from a friend's experience at check in for tonight's UA989 IAD-FRA. I haven't seen it this low in a long time.

HAHAHA 69 customers on standby for upgrade? How ridic. I think it means 69 silver or higher passengers in economy.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SkyTeem View Post
HAHAHA 69 customers on standby for upgrade? How ridic. I think it means 69 silver or higher passengers in economy.
Yes, this is probably the case.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM

Posting from a friend's experience at check in for tonight's UA989 IAD-FRA. I haven't seen it this low in a long time.

Wow.

Another nail in the coffin as to why I want to stretch for 1K for 2020 when there are low TODs while I sit at #1 or #2 (or #69 ) on the upgrade list with my GPU and die waiting for the non existant upgrade as the seat was sold to someone with lower/no status, and is $49 more expensive than the copay if I were to use points.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Wow.

Another nail in the coffin as to why I want to stretch for 1K for 2020 when there are low TODs while I sit at #1 or #2 (or #69 ) on the upgrade list with my GPU and die waiting for the non existant upgrade as the seat was sold to someone with lower/no status, and is $49 more expensive than the copay if I were to use points.
To be fair, the flight in question has PZ open.
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 3:05 pm

I think this is a typo, it is currently T-20 and there are 4 cleared upgrades with 5 people remaining. However in any event, I would have taken that in a heartbeat.
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 6:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Wow.

This is definitely surprising and I had some of same thoughts as well. I remember in the (not-too-distant) past when it seemed the price floor for said upgrades was ~$829....

Search this Thread