Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cance. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old May 30, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
was just offered to upgrade the SFO-SIN part of my YEG-YYC-SFO-SIN trip.... for $11,719 haha highest I have ever seen
Old May 30, 19, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
was just offered to upgrade the SFO-SIN part of my YEG-YYC-SFO-SIN trip.... for $11,719 haha highest I have ever seen
UA1 or UA29? What day of the week? If you fly back on Tue/Wed, you should have strong chance of getting a ~$1k upgrade offer, especially on UA28.
Old May 30, 19, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Santander View Post
UA1 or UA29? What day of the week? If you fly back on Tue/Wed, you should have strong chance of getting a ~$1k upgrade offer, especially on UA28.
SFO-SIN UA29 on a Sunday, just brutal eh

My return on a separate reservation SIN-SFO (enroute to YEG) is $3002 on a Wednesday UA2

Could have bought a business class roundtrip on other airlines for ~$3000 !! I would probably bite on a $1000 offer if I saw one
Old May 30, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
SFO-SIN UA29 on a Sunday, just brutal eh

My return on a separate reservation SIN-SFO (enroute to YEG) is $3002 on a Wednesday UA2

Could have bought a business class roundtrip on other airlines for ~$3000 !! I would probably bite on a $1000 offer if I saw one
Ouch... You should have decent GPU chances on your way back with your presumably high fare class if you don't get a good offer. Hope you at least got Row 16.
Old May 30, 19, 9:19 pm

UA870

Today 5/31 was able to upgrade at the gate to the last unbooked seat for 1750. Had been in the mid $4ks and up to 9k online.

I paid 3k ahead of time for the flight into SYD. Solid deal IMO
Old May 31, 19, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
United emailed me "upgrade your experience to a premium cabin for an upcoming flight (2 weeks from now). I clicked on the email and there was an additional "upgrade" button.

Which then brought me to a page showing "no upgrade available" for all 6 segments. Not sure why United even sends out these emails

(I know it's automated, but kind of a waste of time).

Old May 31, 19, 10:31 am

Booking for family at Christmas time.

Fare difference from W to Z fare was $219pp, after purchase option was $219pp as well.

I did want to get them E+ seats and what was interesting is that the aisle and middle bulkhead during booking was quoting $64 and $59 per seat (respectively), however 5 min after purchase of the ticket I went through "manage reservations" and the price for the same two seats dropped to $51 and $47.
Old May 31, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
United emailed me "upgrade your experience to a premium cabin for an upcoming flight (2 weeks from now). I clicked on the email and there was an additional "upgrade" button.

Which then brought me to a page showing "no upgrade available" for all 6 segments. Not sure why United even sends out these emails

(I know it's automated, but kind of a waste of time).

I'm more shocked UA flys an A320 BTV - DEN. How long has this been a route, and a mainline one at that??
zeer0 likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by tabTX View Post
I'm more shocked UA flys an A320 BTV - DEN. How long has this been a route, and a mainline one at that??
I think that is a mistake as well. Podunk little airport at Burlington typically goes to EWR or ORD on regional jets, I don't think they can even handle a mainline at the gate.
Old May 31, 19, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tabTX View Post
- a few months back
UA starting 7 new DEN routes(?)
Old May 31, 19, 12:45 pm

this actually jumped to $16xxx for a day last week but settled back down. is the omission of the comma intentional to make the number appear smaller?

PVG > EWR.

zeer0 likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by miasmal View Post
I think that is a mistake as well. Podunk little airport at Burlington typically goes to EWR or ORD on regional jets, I don't think they can even handle a mainline at the gate.
Yep, A320 BTV - DEN although seasonal only and starting next week I believe.

Actually BTV has been getting more and more mainline service from United. Last year I flew ORD-BTV on a 737-900 with CPU's at the 48 hour window. They also were flying a 737-700 from EWR last year, but looks like not doing that now.
Old Jun 2, 19, 7:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I had a flight last week from SNA to ORD. Buy up offer was $3427. A new first class booking was $1682.
Old Jun 4, 19, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I had no idea things had gotten this bad

I’ve been out of the US for 3 years now. Just moved back. While I was away, any domestic travel was always linked in with my international biz class legs so flights were always in F.

now that I am back in the US, CPU (and RPU) roulette begins.

Today, flying IAH-YYC. Upgrade didn’t clear at T-5. Cabin is J6. Applied RPU at T-3. Cabin J3. Down to J2 at 2 days out. GS cannot clear RPU unless there are 3 seats. J1 up until boarding.

Here is is where I knew everything has changed. I was #1 on the upgrade list. Walked up at T-45 minutes to ask if they’d cleared the upgrade list. They said they can’t clear it until 30 minutes out. Also mentioned that someone had already expressed interest in buying the last seat. I immediately said that I would buy it, if that was the case. They told me I could not because the other person had asked first. FYI - the person was no where to be found - where I was standing st the counter, ready to pay.

Boarding commenced at T-38. I walked back up and asked if they could clear me. They said again they could not until T-30 because they “Had to hold out for revenue seats” I was absolutely blown away. 6 years as a GS and they have to wait 5 minutes? Again, I said I’d buy the seat. Again they said someone had already asked. At this point my head almost exploded. T-30.... I asked ok, now can you clear me? The agent literally walked out into the crowd of people waiting to board and found the person to see if he still wanted to buy the upgrade. he declined, my upgrade cleared, end of story.

This cannot be policy. Please tell me it is not. Plus, the fact that I was at the counter with my card out to pay and she would not let me because “somebody already asked”

rant over.

silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
6 years as a GS and they have to wait 5 minutes?
There are times I really feel sorry for UA cs personnel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: