Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 30, 19, 1:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Even on day-of, Iíve had some book into P and others book into ZN. Frustrating because ZN doesnít earn extra PQM.
My impression the booking "day-of" into P has become less frequent. Things have been evolving
An earlier discussion - Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
Old Apr 30, 19, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Same here. Once the RPU is waitlisted I can no longer see any TOD offers.
I just got at check-in a TOD offer of $216 for LAX-ORD. I have an RPU waitlisted. First Class is sold 23/24. I did not take it as I never take TODs on domestic flights.
Old Apr 30, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA:1K AC: 50K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Gold
Got offered a tod upgrade for Mel-lax at $2k. Flight is wide open in J 12/48 sold. I declined.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expressboy View Post
Got offered a tod upgrade for Mel-lax at $2k. Flight is wide open in J 12/48 sold. I declined.
Interesting, because today, I was offered $985 to upgrade from a K fare on flight 1 to SIN. For the past year itís always been at least $1,059Ėnever lower it. Iím not taking it. FAs need love too!
Old Apr 30, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA:1K AC: 50K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post

Interesting, because today, I was offered $985 to upgrade from a K fare on flight 1 to SIN. For the past year itís always been at least $1,059Ėnever lower it. Iím not taking it. FAs need love too!
That is a good deal. If I had no hope of an upgrade I would have taken it.
Old May 3, 19, 1:06 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
First time United flyer, flying SFO-MEX - is upgrade offer worth it?

Sorry to tag on, but itís the same topic. First time United flyer, flying SFO-MEX on an A319. Currently in 21C (exit) and have an offer of US$159 (via the app), interestingly the offer is US$389 (via website).

I am TK *G so should get priority baggage, lounge etc.

Would you consider this a good deal?
Old May 3, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, but it's entirely a personal question. Is 21B likely to be occupied? That would have a significant impact on my feeling. $159 is a pretty normal price for the route, so it's not like it's the deal of the year.
Boraxo and beach86 like this.
Old May 3, 19, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Two considerations you may not be aware of:

1. The slimlined Y seats on the UA airbuses are horrible. I find them really uncomfortable for a 1 hour flight, 4 hours would be tough. And exit row are the worst ones due to shorter seat pan.
2. At MEX, there's value to being first off the aircraft, as the immigration lines can be really awful.
Old May 3, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beach86 View Post
Sorry to tag on, but itís the same topic. First time United flyer, flying SFO-MEX on an A319. Currently in 21C (exit) and have an offer of US$159 (via the app), interestingly the offer is US$389 (via website).

I am TK *G so should get priority baggage, lounge etc.

Would you consider this a good deal?
I currently have an offer for Puerto Vallarta - SFO for $199 which is about the same distance. So $159 isn't a bad deal, IMO.
beach86 likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
And exit row are the worst ones due to shorter seat pan.
I don't follow the "where to sit" threads for narrow-body equipment much, so that's the first time I've read about the shorter seat pan. Is it true on 737's as well?
Old May 4, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
If I purchase an upgrade to premium economy, can I then go ahead and apply a GPU for business class? If so, when is the latest prior to departure I can apply a GPU?
Old May 4, 19, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
I don't follow the "where to sit" threads for narrow-body equipment much, so that's the first time I've read about the shorter seat pan. Is it true on 737's as well?
I have sat in exit rows on many 737s and I don't feel like the seat pan is shorter at all, although I have never taken my tape measure. The biggest difference I have noticed is row 20 doesn't recline and the window seats don't have arm rests near the window, otherwise I believe it is the exact same seat.
Old May 4, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by awu25 View Post
If I purchase an upgrade to premium economy, can I then go ahead and apply a GPU for business class? If so, when is the latest prior to departure I can apply a GPU?
You cannot waitlist a GPU in the last 24 hours before the flight so if PZ is not available (PZ=0) then it's too late to do it. If PZ is available then you can do it at anytime until it's under gate control.

Last edited by StuckinITH; May 4, 19 at 12:37 pm
Old May 4, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
SFO-IAD. $749 for the upgrade, $741 for a one-way ticket.
Old May 9, 19, 3:36 am
FDT

Hi - Iíve had an offer since booking EWR-AUA (flight in July) for $199 ea (me + my wife). We are currently in exit row seat (economy plus).

1) is this an adequate deal
and
2) is there a chance this price goes down for me and I should wait or in all likelihood should I make my decision based on this price which seems to be waiting for me in the App for the last few weeks.

Search this Thread