Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:59 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 10, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP
ORD-PDX and return. Both Q fairs - no status. $216 @purchase.
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:09 am

Should we have a separate TOD thread for P+ , or put it in the existing TOD (for business/first upgrades)

Nrt-ewr (13 hours), K fare no status

P+, $800 upsell after purchase, TOD $299 (which was surprisingly cheap)
​​​​
TOD J was $1600+ (cheapest TOD I've seen on this route was $1000)

did united change up the menu for regular e too? The food for e was better than usual on nrt-ewr
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Change to IRROPs rebooking and keeping upgrade?

As far back as I can remember, during IRROPs agents would rebook the paid/upgraded segment in F if it was available. For instance a PHXIAHSTL routing with PHXIAH In F would be rebooked as a PHXORDSTL routing with PHXORD in F. The only pushback Ive got in the past was if the agent assumed it was a “free upgrade” rather than a “paid upgrade” but usually if they looked into the PNR the agent then would process the rebooking.

Today was flying LAXSFOSTL with SFOSTL as the paid upgrade. LAXSFO was delayed and I would miscnx. Attempted to be rebooked LAXIAHSTL but agent pushed back saying the upgrade was a “free upgrade” then gave me the line about it being “nontransferrable” and “nonrefundable”.

Went to the UA Club and the agent told me the following:
1) oh you’ll make your connection they will hold the SFOSTL flight
2) SFO has delays so your connection will probably be delayed
4) LAX has delays so you’ll miss your connection....the connection time in Houston was 3+ hrs
3) all flights out of LAX are full without even looking punching it into his computer. I had the app open and was looking at fare basis availability. He said okay I’ll check and said nope all flights full. I said let me see your screen....turns out he didn’t even have the correct routing punched in.
4) we can’t rebook into F

So is anyone aware of changes to this?
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post

Today was flying LAXSFOSTL with SFOSTL as the paid upgrade. LAXSFO was delayed and I would miscnx. Attempted to be rebooked LAXIAHSTL but agent pushed back saying the upgrade was a “free upgrade” then gave me the line about it being “nontransferrable” and “nonrefundable”.

What were the SDC options in the app?
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
What were the SDC options in the app?
They all came up as Economy, even when F wasn’t zero’d out. First time that’s been the case.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post

They all came up as Economy, even when F wasn’t zero’d out. First time that’s been the case.
When you did the paid upgrade, what class did you book into? P? Z? or a double code like PN?

If you do a fare difference upgrade, you are a F passenger and need to be rebooked as such - any pushback to the contrary is nonsense and you need to HUCA and get with a supervisor.

If you do a segment fee upgrade, then I don't know a) how that shows up in their system b) the rules for IRROPS
Old Apr 12, 19, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Should we have a separate TOD thread for P+ , or put it in the existing TOD (for business/first upgrades)

A thread for PP and J-Polaris would be helpful!
atword likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
CUN-ORD on a G fare (no status) $139 two hours before departure. PURCHASED

Coach looked full/possibly oversold at T-24 so even though first only had 10/20 booked they only had 2 seats for sale and 8 blocked. I think this led to the buy up offer being $629 from 3 days out to T-2. Ended up going out with 6 seats empty in Business.
Old Apr 16, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Currently being offered $900 or 20K miles/$550 waitlist to upgrade SFO-AMS next month. is either of these offers reasonable for the route? tempted to upgrade, though i realize it's currently slated to be a 787-9 and does not have new Polaris product.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 19 at 7:17 pm Reason: Moved to cash upgrade thread
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beeasyed View Post
Currently being offered $900 or 20K miles/$550 waitlist to upgrade SFO-AMS next month....
The $900 is a guaranteed upgrade and for SFO-AMS, very unlikely to get much lower -- not usual to see >$1,000
20K miles + $550 is the standard miles+copay offer for your fare class, it will not go lower. Note if this is waitlisted, you will have uncertainty if it will clear and without status, that is even greater uncertainty. If you value miles at $.015 per mile, this means it is equivalent to $850
If you want the upgrade, I would take the $900 --- it is guaranteed and similar in cost.

Note SFO-AMS is a new flight and early on may be weak on demand, hence the lower offer
AMS-SFO inaugural flight on 31 Mar
beeasyed likes this.
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The $900 is a guaranteed upgrade and for SFO-AMS, very unlikely to get much lower -- not usual to see >$1,000
20K miles + $550 is the standard miles+copay offer for your fare class, it will not go lower. Note if this is waitlisted, you will have uncertainty if it will clear and without status, that is even greater uncertainty. If you value miles at $.015 per mile, this means it is equivalent to $850
If you want the upgrade, I would take the $900 --- it is guaranteed and similar in cost.

Note SFO-AMS is a new flight and early on may be weak on demand, hence the lower offer
AMS-SFO inaugural flight on 31 Mar
Thank you for the context! will prob just bite on the 900 then.

Alternatively, thinking about changing the flight to layover in Frankfurt to get on a 777-300ER flight and use a GPU..ha.
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Data point:

5/1 - IAH to SFO

Booked several months ago for a JazzFest trip by a vendor (this leg is return, MSY-IAH-SFO, K fare)

For 2 months, they wanted $747 for this leg.
A week ago, it dropped to $304.
Today, it hit $208.

I bit. I'll be tired and hungover, no doubt, so worth it for $50/hr for that flight. No status on UA any longer.

ps: MSY-IAH has stayed constant at $104, which for a 45 minute flight is a no.
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
MSP to DEN, $468 to C (J4 C3 D0).. even more than the outrageous C fare for a sub-700 mi flight (I guess they sold the seats).. I'll ride this one out in row 7
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is there any way to track this other than checking back frequently?
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
Is there any way to track this other than checking back frequently?
Such as an alert service, not that I am aware of and not sure it is conceptually possible.

Offers do appear to be driven by inventory, so alerting on the opening of Z or P might be an indirect method of knowing when to check.
You can not alert on any of the two-letter fare codes.

Search this Thread