Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Is it a good deal? User j2simpso maintains a spreadsheet to help you make that determination.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 18, 19, 5:33 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Buy-up offer on Partner ticketed award flight

I posted this question in the TOD thread but no luck getting a response.

If I book a one way saver award in economy going CUN-ORD using Air Canada miles will I be offered a buy up price to business if I view the award on United.com? I know seat maps aren't the most reliable indicator of loads, but all 20 J seats show available. If there's no chance of getting any type of offer we'll probably just pay cash outright. But as I have a small orphaned amount of AC miles, I'd rather use those if there;s a chance of getting a buy up anywhere near the difference between the current coach and business price.

If this was answered some where in the TOD thread, mods please merge this there. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chicago747 View Post

If I book a one way saver award in economy going CUN-ORD using Air Canada miles will I be offered a buy up price to business if I view the award on United.com? I know seat maps aren't the most reliable indicator of loads, but all 20 J seats show available. If there's no chance of getting any type of offer we'll probably just pay cash outright. But as I have a small orphaned amount of AC miles, I'd rather use those if there;s a chance of getting a buy up anywhere near the difference between the current coach and business price.

If this was answered some where in the TOD thread, mods please merge this there. Thanks guys!
I've flown on a couple YUL/YYZ-ORD flights on AC metal on UA award tix and I've never had the option. It's there, but always errors out online. I"ve never pushed in person or online, but it always sounds (at least online) you have to be booked on an AC ticket (and presumably a non award ticket).
Old Jan 18, 19, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Originally Posted by chicago747 View Post

There's been multiple reports of partner ticketed UA metal flights offering TOD buyups at check in. If the inventory levels stay high, you can almost be guaranteed to see one.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by salisboss View Post
EWR-ATL on Y-fare. It has been stuck at $96 for a week. Is that a good price?
Very, in fact I'm shocked it's that low. I typically see RDU-IAD which is about a third of that distance for $90.
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Jan 22nd: DUB-EWR traveling on an L fare...a week out upgrade was $1,449; T-96 1,149; T-48 $2,900 (or something close to $3k); T-24 up until boarding $829. 763 swap to hard product Polaris seats. Was in E+ with an empty seat next to me which made all the difference. The biz cabin looked insanely tight and cramped up there even with empty seats.

Last edited by Sterndogg; Jan 23, 19 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
UA ORD-PVG 1/19

$800 at online check-in & at the airport. Offer declined. Switched to refurbed 772 at T24; flight about 1/3 empty across all cabins including the new premium plus. This wasn't me, but a friend traveling for work. I would have snatched the offer or at least forced myself into premium plus since I believe his work did pay for E+.
Old Jan 23, 19, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
LAX - EWR 787-10, no offer (booked in PP bulkhead at least)

EWR-BTV, $90 from L fare, passed. ERJ-175 with 0/12 booked about 2 weeks out, hopefully will CPU this 1 hour flight!
Old Jan 24, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Upsells on EWRLAX 787-10

I applied a RPU (donít laugh I know it was a lost cause) on my 30JAN EWRLAX flight and I know it wonít clear; watching the upgrade lists everyday for the past weeks it appears that no one clears for upgrades.

After ticket was booked, initially got a $699 offer, then $799, now it comes up at $449. I know this is a hard route to upgrade and I would like to fly on the 787-10....anyone have any history on this particular flight and whether thatís around the usual price?
Old Jan 24, 19, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
I applied a RPU (donít laugh I know it was a lost cause) on my 30JAN EWRLAX flight and I know it wonít clear; watching the upgrade lists everyday for the past weeks it appears that no one clears for upgrades.

After ticket was booked, initially got a $699 offer, then $799, now it comes up at $449. I know this is a hard route to upgrade and I would like to fly on the 787-10....anyone have any history on this particular flight and whether thatís around the usual price?
As mentioned above, I just booked the other way, LAX-EWR 787-10, on a Wed (similar to your flight on a Wed), and my offer is $1296. So $449 isn't too bad, especially for the westbound flight, prob 7 hours of total seat time.
Old Jan 24, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: Various
I received an offer of $649 on a V->P IAH-MUC flight about 2 weeks out from departure. The offer came up when I was checking if my GPU had cleared yet. :-/
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
I received an offer of $649 on a V->P IAH-MUC flight about 2 weeks out from departure. The offer came up when I was checking if my GPU had cleared yet. :-/
That's an offer I would consider if I see that Business Class is getting heavily packed, especially if there are still very good seats available. In that case, taking the offer guarantees a better seat than a last minute seat assignment.

I mean, kind of guarantees as with all the planes swaps you never know what your seat will be until you sit in it (and some FTers say that you don't know what your seat will be until you arrive at your destination).
Old Jan 24, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by qukslvr619 View Post
Should bottom out around $309 at check-in if inventory is favorable, but that's always a gamble. $450 is not bad.
Old Jan 24, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
I would take that for an overnight flight that's nearly 10 hours long. That's the cheapest upsell offer I've heard of for a transatlantic flight not from the East Coast.
Old Jan 24, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
That's an offer I would consider if I see that Business Class is getting heavily packed, especially if there are still very good seats available. In that case, taking the offer guarantees a better seat than a last minute seat assignment.
That's an argument that I'm making to myself right now as well! The block time is about 10 hours, and I have to be up and going when I arrive, so I'm very tempted.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Should bottom out around $309 at check-in if inventory is favorable, but that's always a gamble. $450 is not bad.
Thanks. Yeah, I figured about $300 so considering the fact that it's an employer paid ticket, it's not like I'm paying $350 for a seat in Y, and then another $450 on top of that. Just hope it doesn't get downgauged.

Search this Thread