Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Is it a good deal? User j2simpso maintains a spreadsheet to help you make that determination.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
If you are meaning the Polaris Lounge, it's only possible if the passenger has a connecting flight to another city.

If you are meaning the arrivals lounge, it closes at 12:30 PM which makes it difficult for passengers arriving from LHR to use it.
Has anyone had success accessing the Polaris lounge on arrival at SFO? I was under the impression UA would grant a gate pass to access it!

For the latter, agreed it may be tough... You never know you may get some nice tailwinds and manage to get in 5 mins before close

-James
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Has anyone had success accessing the Polaris lounge on arrival at SFO? I was under the impression UA would grant a gate pass to access it!

For the latter, agreed it may be tough... You never know you may get some nice tailwinds and manage to get in 5 mins before close

-James
I think gate passes are a thing of the past.

I think tailwinds are more prevalent in the opposite direction. However, if I remember correctly, there's an FTer that said that sometimes she managed to get into the SFO arrival lounge at the last minute coming from the LHR flight.
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:34 pm

Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd chime in to mention that the United upgrade offers has been updated to this point. Simply click on ToD Offers tab in the spreadsheet to see all offers from now until around 2017.

I'll be on hiatus from FT for the next 3 months or so as I continue my studies in the UK. If anyone's interested in maintaining this spreadsheet (and the various other UA related spreadsheets), feel free to PM me so I can pass the torch along

Safe Travels,

James
tstauck likes this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd chime in to mention that the United upgrade offers has been updated to this point. Simply click on ToD Offers tab in the spreadsheet to see all offers from now until around 2017.

I'll be on hiatus from FT for the next 3 months or so as I continue my studies in the UK. If anyone's interested in maintaining this spreadsheet (and the various other UA related spreadsheets), feel free to PM me so I can pass the torch along

Safe Travels,

James
Hi James, is it possible to sort the list by origin and then destination? It looks like earlier iterations had this sorting but recent additions have been going to the bottom.
Old Jan 2, 19, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by atword View Post
Hi James, is it possible to sort the list by origin and then destination? It looks like earlier iterations had this sorting but recent additions have been going to the bottom.
Your wish, something something, my command.

Enjoy

-James
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by FeiTaipei View Post
Non-status Member SNA-EWR I believe was $310 today after OLCI.
SNA-IAH for a future flight (weeks ahead) was $184
SNA-SFO $125
YYZ-ORD $112
ORD-SNA $216
Just an update, all these are member without status:

SNA-EWR was on L fare
SNA-IAH for 12/25 was $184 and never dropped or moved even on OLCI (on L fare)
SNA-SFO $125 on G fare (was part of a routing to YYZ) (had a buddy on separate ticket/fare code with *G status with same offer)
YYZ-ORD $112 on T fare (had a buddy on separate ticket/fare code with *G status with same offer)
ORD-SNA jumped to $261 (also was at $460+ a few days ago) on T fare (had a buddy on separate ticket/fare code with *G status with same offer)
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
Had a friend get an $829 offer too on an X ticket FRA-SFO a few days ago. Good deal imo.
Where exactly are these upgrade deals shown? Whenever I view the upgrade offer in the app by clicking View Reservation, I always see upgrade offers $2,000 or more for international routes, including this one (FRA-SFO). I usually buy W or V fares and I am a 1K.
Old Jan 10, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi View Post
Where exactly are these upgrade deals shown? Whenever I view the upgrade offer in the app by clicking View Reservation, I always see upgrade offers $2,000 or more for international routes, including this one (FRA-SFO). I usually buy W or V fares and I am a 1K.
Many times, you see better TODs at check-in 24 hours before your flight (and some offers appear some hours after check-in). They show up in the page with the seat selection. When I started flying United, I did not even notice them as I was doing the check-in process too fast without really looking at the whole page.

I have to say that I do the online check-in online (not on the app) as I prefer to see things on a bigger page. Same thing when I do reservations.
eclipse_boi and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, SkyPesos, AAdvantage, MR
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi View Post
This one showed up when they checked in. That's when I've noticed it's lowest for long haul flights.
Old Jan 15, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
EWR-AUS on an L-fare. $200 buy-up to first class each way immediately after booking. We took it, as the purchase price in L ($300) and the buy-up ($400) was easily $250 cheaper than outright buying F ($950). Ticket is now in P. Same offer for my husband as we booked separately to use ETCs. We have no status on UA.

Considering this is over the Easter holiday, I was pleasantly surprised at ~13.3 cents per mile to upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Silver
EWR-ATL on Y-fare. It has been stuck at $96 for a week. Is that a good price?
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I doubt you'll see less.
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by salisboss View Post
EWR-ATL on Y-fare. It has been stuck at $96 for a week. Is that a good price?
Absolutely.
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
no status here... TLV - SFO $1000 upgrade offer from Economy (T) to Biz Polaris...
How is it?
Ugleeual likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:09 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA PremEx MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat, & some other titles with marginal value
Originally Posted by iqbalt80 View Post
no status here... TLV - SFO $1000 upgrade offer from Economy (T) to Biz Polaris...
How is it?
I would likely go for it. My benchmark is what British Air regularly upcharges for LAX/SFO - LHR. It is never below $950. Plus BA's business class seating isn't all that special. TLV-SFO is a 3+ hour longer flight.
iluv2fly likes this.

Last edited by Craig6z; Jan 17, 19 at 8:15 am

Search this Thread