Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cance. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 5, 18, 8:48 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I was on a flight Denver to Maui yesterday 15 out of 16 booked I was first on the upgrade list. After boarding started I went to the counter and asked if I would clear. The gate agent responded Im going to sell it she got on the loud speaker and said they had one upgrade seat to sell. I have no idea what she asked for it but it did sell. The agent scanning boarding passes asked me why didnt I take the upgrade.

Is the policy to sell upgrades after boarding?
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 1fan View Post
I was on a flight Denver to Maui yesterday 15 out of 16 booked I was first on the upgrade list. After boarding started I went to the counter and asked if I would clear. The gate agent responded Im going to sell it she got on the loud speaker and said they had one upgrade seat to sell. I have no idea what she asked for it but it did sell. The agent scanning boarding passes asked me why didnt I take the upgrade.

Is the policy to sell upgrades after boarding?
Interesting that this came out of DIA as this seems to be where I have heard this story happening before over the past year. Comments have previously been made that no "rule" states they cannot do it but it sure has caused many FT'er to grumble especially when they have an instrument in play. I personally have not come across this openly at least but certainly have not cleared instrument related to TODs.
Old Dec 5, 18, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flying SFO-TPE today on a W date. Upgrade is waitlisted and unlikely to clear. Within the last few days, UA was willing to sell the Polaris upgrade for $1,100 and last night it went up to $1,800. Didnít bite. Iíve got an aisle seat in the new PEY cabin, so I guess that and food from the lounges will somewhat makeup for not clearing.
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 2:04 pm

Hello again,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Upgrade Offers Spreadsheet has been updated to this point.

Apologies for the delay in updating the sheet - I've had quite the busy term in Master's programme in the UK (assessments finished on Tuesday and was in transit since then).

I'll try updating the other United resources in the coming days as I transit to DPS (currently in YYZ).

Safe Travels,

James
BCH, hokiebuy and Victor DSCH like this.
Old Dec 9, 18, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP
Buyup on IAD-SAN

Originally on a K fare ($150 pqd) IAD-SAN, took the $260 Buyup to United first for the flat seat on a 757-200 at OLCI. Originally Buyup at the start of OLCI was $2100+ with only 1 J inventory left. 1 hour before the flight, inventory buckets leveled out and 1 PZ seat opened up and snagged the Buyup offer. Reticketed as a P fare for a couple extra PQM but no PQD sadly. Quite disappointed that United would sell the seat at such a low price considering there was still GS left in economy who probably paid more than the $400 total. However it's nice to be able to take advantage if you watch inventory like a hawk before departure.
Old Dec 12, 18, 11:50 am

Seats available but United won't take GPU

Hi there,
I'm checking into my flight EWR-DEL for tomorrow, and I have the opportunity to upgrade my seat for about $1,000. However, I had put in for an upgrade using my 1K global prem vouchers. United says they can accept vouchers and upgrade up to 4 days in advance. I'm confused. When do they actually let you use the vouchers?
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lessthanzero View Post
Hi there,
I'm checking into my flight EWR-DEL for tomorrow, and I have the opportunity to upgrade my seat for about $1,000. However, I had put in for an upgrade using my 1K global prem vouchers. United says they can accept vouchers and upgrade up to 4 days in advance. I'm confused. When do they actually let you use the vouchers?
Upgrade instruments can be cleared anytime between application and departure (even after boarding). The "up to 4 days in advance" messaging applies to complimentary upgrades, which aren't offered on EWR-DEL. However, upgrades are on a space-available basis; they will only upgrade passengers into seats they don't expect to be able to sell.

Your choices are to pay $1,000 to guarantee the upgrade or to wait and see if your upgrade will clear using the GPU. The cabin is currently booked 47/50.
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:07 pm

Thanks, JSloan! Is there any way to see where I am on the upgrade list?
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Pull up your flight status on either united.com or in the app and click on the upgrades tab.
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
Pull up your flight status on either united.com or in the app and click on the upgrades tab.
Note, however, that this will only show people who have already checked in. There's no good way to know where you'll be on the list once departure time arrives.
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lessthanzero View Post
Thanks, JSloan! Is there any way to see where I am on the upgrade list?
If you are not near the top of the list I would be all over the $1000 offer if it is already not too late. Seems reasonable on a long flight for Polaris, my wife does that run and that TOD seems low.
Old Dec 12, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
If you are not near the top of the list I would be all over the $1000 offer if it is already not too late. Seems reasonable on a long flight for Polaris, my wife does that run and that TOD seems low.
I agree. With only three seats left, the chances that the seats get taken by passengers tempted by the TOD is extremely high.
Old Dec 12, 18, 1:01 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Based on what I see for Thursday's flight, there's 1 seat left in J. It will, more than likely, sell to someone for $1000.

There are already 2 people on the upgrade list (checked in)...You may or may not be ahead of them once you're able to check in (assuming straight from EWR, you can check in at 9PM tonight. I'd advise you to check in as soon as you can.

Barring a lot of misconnects or people canceling last minute, I'd be prepared to fly in Y or take the $1000 upgrade. Only you can answer if it's 'worth it' to you.
Old Dec 12, 18, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
Based on what I see for Thursday's flight, there's 1 seat left in J. It will, more than likely, sell to someone for $1000.
I see two (it's booked 48/50 on the status page). Are you looking at the seat map?

Either way, yes, I think it's likely that they'll find enough takers that the OP will need to hope for some misconnects in order to use the GPU.
Old Dec 12, 18, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
$1,000 for EWR-DEL sounds like a fair deal to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: