Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cance. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 23, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Buy-Up Pricing Behavior?

One of my segments was offered a buy-up after purchase of $2770, a few days later it went up to $5990, and today it was back down to the $2770. Is there any way of predicting the pricing behavior ? Is there any chance the segment offered up for $2770 would drop below that number ?
Old Nov 23, 18, 5:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
One of my segments was offered a buy-up after purchase of $2770, a few days later it went up to $5990, and today it was back down to the $2770. Is there any way of predicting the pricing behavior ? ...
an ouija board or magic 8 ball?

Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
Is there any chance the segment offered up for $2770 would drop below that number ?
Yes, maybe, no

A driver of pricing seems to be fare class inventory and other unknown factors (historical booking trends and time before departure are likely factors). So changing fare class inventory might give you an indication of a potential change.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 18 at 10:32 pm Reason: reworded
Old Nov 23, 18, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The driver of pricing seems to be fare class inventory and other unknown factors (historical booking trends and time before departure are likely factors).
I thought it had to do with whether (and how) much the monkey throwing darts has been drinking
atword likes this.
Old Nov 23, 18, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I thought it had to do with whether (and how) much the monkey throwing darts has been drinking
Ah yes, the Infinite Monkey Theorem!
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:08 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Tomorrow Newark to Punta Cana offered $199 in S class. Declined, in E+ already. 6 seats open. On 739
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Via the app and also the website:
ORD to LAX $216
LAX to PVG $2331
Fare class V

Last edited by atword; Nov 24, 18 at 7:35 am Reason: Added fare class
Old Nov 25, 18, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
So sorry to whatever GS was hoping for that last seat in F on Flight 396 from HNL-SFO tonight (25 Nov) but I just bought into it. Changing from HNL-IAH-COS on W where it was clear my RPU wasn't going to work to HNL-SFO-DEN-COS on Z cost me just pennies under $154. I'd generally rather have the longer sleep time going to DEN or IAH but I'll get better sleep in F (even in the dreaded middle-middle of the 777) than on the aisle of E+ when there are at least 14 standbys waiting for 31 seats left in E+/E-.
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post

Got $689 on LHR-SFO for 11/24. Said I was #5 on the list with two seats remaining. Mulled it over for a bit. When I went back it was $699 and the only window seat left was gone but I smashed that Buy button. Well worth it for nearly 12 hours when I have to fly back out 24 hours later, even in a middle seat.
I think that may be the lowest buy up offer I've seen for a flight that long. I've gotten $899 for SFO-LHR and thought that was a fair deal.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/*A Gold, UC, IC AMB
I'm seeing $1,094 to buy up from a Y fare for an LAX-IAD red eye on a 752. Seems kind of steep. And the website is showing two C fares available at $954.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dchambric View Post
I'm seeing $1,094 to buy up from a Y fare for an LAX-IAD red eye on a 752. Seems kind of steep. And the website is showing two C fares available at $954.
Prices bounce around all the time, just keep an eye on it. I've seen SFO-EWR red eye for over $2k before....
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dchambric View Post
If you mean UA is selling the one-way C fare for $954, you can upfare to that without paying a change fee.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Fra-sfo is $829 on my bottom barrel K fare. 787 not the 77w.

Not taking it.
Old Dec 2, 18, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum/*A Gold, UC, IC AMB
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If you mean UA is selling the one-way C fare for $954, you can upfare to that without paying a change fee.
Thanks - I will keep that in mind if it happens again.
Old Dec 2, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.94 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks View Post
Fra-sfo is $829 on my bottom barrel K fare. 787 not the 77w.

Not taking it.
It was almost the same amount for CDG-IAD five days ago for XN booking. Economy cabin was overbooked for this flight.
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
For Thursdays SFO-HKG

Originally purchased a cheap-o K fare DSM-HKG, offered to Polaris business at check in SFO-HKG for $1609. Accepted. There had been a standing offer on this flight for, I think, $~3100 since purchase of itin.

Last edited by n198ua; Dec 5, 18 at 10:17 am Reason: spelling.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: