Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Is it a good deal? User j2simpso maintains a spreadsheet to help you make that determination.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 17, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
If people stop purchasing the TODs, then we can go back to getting free upgrades. First Class is worth free and not much more...who pays $150 for 2 hours in a domestic first seat?
I thought TOD's were reserved for upgrades under $100?

Regardless, I don't bite on 2 hour flights, but I love the concept of buy-ups, if I'm 7 on the waitlist with 1-2 seats available on HNL-SFO or vice versa, I definitely jump the queue for a lie-flat - usually in the $300 range. I like that I have the option. There are plenty of us that think buy-ups were one of the best things they've implemented.
Old Nov 17, 18, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
lol so now those of who purchase F tix are responsible for OP not getting upgraded. I am not apologizing
Miles Ahead likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold Elite
If people stop purchasing the TODs, then we can go back to getting free upgrades. First Class is worth free and not much more...who pays $150 for 2 hours in a domestic first seat?
Someone who can afford it and doesn't want to sit in a seat that doesn't recline or next to a sumo wrestler who spans 20 inches wide in a seat that's only 18 inches wide.
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could have been Global Services, what the different. They leave the entire upgrade list not upgraded. I was #1 , I couldn't have had more priority.
A couple of months ago, you probably would have seen that there were 6 people with cleared upgrades when you were first on the list. They changed the process to be much less transparent; itís now basically impossible to know how many customers were upgraded on any given flight.

Thereís a good chance you would have been able to force through an upgrade on a couple of the flights you mention if you were Global Services.

Also, if you are regularly finding yourself in full-fare or near-full-fare tickets (booking classes M, B, or Y); as a 1K, you are eligible for an instant upgrade into PN class if it is available, but I believe you need to go into your reservation after it tickets and ďrequestĒ the instant upgrade. Now, if PN = 0, thatís not going to help you much, but I thought I should mention it.

The CPU process is a leftover from the time when organic F sales were minuscule. There does seem to be a market for these tickets at the discounted prices theyíre offering, though. If I didnít have status, thereís a good chance Iíd be buying F domestically, since the differential between E+ and F is often not that large.

Unfortunately, last-minute travelers definitely get caught up in the mix here. On flights when UA will clear upgrades in advance ó which isnít all of them, but which does happen ó it can lead to higher-status, late-purchasing passengers sitting in Y while lower-status passengers sit in F. Iím not sure why they do it that way, but itís been going on for years and UA hasnít done anything about it, so itís obviously not much of a priority for them.
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe View Post
Someone who can afford it and doesn't want to sit in a seat that doesn't recline or next to a sumo wrestler who spans 20 inches wide in a seat that's only 18 inches wide.
Exactly. We don't buy up to domestic F for the quality of the product, we buy out of domestic Y to escape the cattle car.
krazykanuck and narvik like this.
Old Nov 18, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I could have been Global Services, what the different. They leave the entire upgrade list not upgraded. I was #1 , I couldn't have had more priority.
If you can get Global Services you should do it and youíd have less reason to complain. Iím 100% for CPUs this year out of SFO (except for 2 midcon segments where I used an instrument to ensure the upgrade). I ended up giving away all my RPUs this year to family/friends.

And yes if I get to the airport early I will take advantage and SDC to an earlier flight and so it may look like a TOD.
Old Nov 18, 18, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed View Post

If you can get Global Services you should do it and youíd have less reason to complain. Iím 100% for CPUs this year out of SFO (except for 2 midcon segments where I used an instrument to ensure the upgrade). I ended up giving away all my RPUs this year to family/friends.

And yes if I get to the airport early I will take advantage and SDC to an earlier flight and so it may look like a TOD.
GS with 100% CPUs this year out of SFO this year!! Need I say more. As a 1K I can't even remember the last CPU! I basically apply instruments to ALL my flights and still only rarely clear those. I as well gift most mine away or should I say attempt to. I ate at least 10 GPUs last year and will probably have nearly the same this year. Although I did have a run of instrument upgrades go through earlier in the year to Hawaii during the volcano/hurricane when no one was heading over to the Islands and flights were empty.
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
GS with 100% CPUs this year out of SFO this year!! Need I say more. As a 1K I can't even remember the last CPU! I basically apply instruments to ALL my flights and still only rarely clear those. I as well gift most mine away or should I say attempt to. I ate at least 10 GPUs last year and will probably have nearly the same this year. Although I did have a run of instrument upgrades go through earlier in the year to Hawaii during the volcano/hurricane when no one was heading over to the Islands and flights were empty.
Didn’t you previously say that you deliberately chose to book some segments on LH either last year or the year before? And I recall you were pretty close.

Luckily UA flies direct to pretty much everywhere I need to go so I don’t have to go out of my way to consolidate spend.
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Booked a one-way AKL-EWR as AKL-SFO-EWR in W with a GPU applied.
Was offered Business for $1400 for the AKL-SFO segment and $2900 for the SFO-EWR segment.
And apparently the SFO-EWR segment is Polaris, the AKL-SFO one isn't? Okay!

canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 19, 18, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat, National Exec, Global Entry/Nexus
I paid $184 to upgrade DFW-EWR, a 3 hour flight. Friday night last flight of the day, 1 seat available but I was #2 on the upgrade list. I felt a bit of satisfaction actually as I undercut someone's CPU ... after a long work week I didn't mind ponying up the fee - as a bonus I got P fare PQM (from K).
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold, AA Gold
Would You Upgrade ?

FT'ers

DSM-HKG on a 'K' fare, $709 a/i. After purchase I'm offered a buy-up on all legs, but more specifically $3029 SFO-HKG and $2770 HKG-SFO. Is this something you'd grab up? If so, does this book into a class where it earns PQM/PQD ?

Sorry for the ?s, I haven't flown UA much since the sweeping changes to MilegePlus a few years ago.

Cheers
n198ua

Last edited by n198ua; Nov 19, 18 at 10:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 19, 18, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
DSM-HKG on a 'K' fare, $709 a/i. After purchase I'm offered a buy-up on all legs, but more specifically $3029 SFO-HKG and $2770 HKG-SFO. Is this something you'd grab up? If so, does this book into a class where it earns PGM/PQD ?
Definitely no PQD. PQM is possible but you should assume not. And I wouldn't personally even consider those prices. I mean, that hardly looks like a discount from what I'd expect business class to cost if you just bought it outright.
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Exactly. We don't buy up to domestic F for the quality of the product, we buy out of domestic Y to escape the cattle car.
That is so true, regardless of the airline. Considering how F has been watered down, and Y is downright miserable these days, there's more truth to that than I realized.

Hmm. Makes me think.
Old Nov 19, 18, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Today I was #3 for 3 seats left with an hour before boarding. 2 min before boarding starts, they havenít cleared the list, so I walk over and politely ask if theyíre going to clear upgrades. ďWe dont clear upgrades until half an hour before departure in case someone wants to buy up during check in,Ē was the response I got.

So boarding begins 10-15 minutes before the upgrade list clears? So then I should just stand and wait by the counter and not board while I wait for the upgrade?

I can accept that they wait until boarding *begins* to clear upgrades. Itís their prerogative to try to sell seats and make some extra $$. But waiting until after groups 1 and 2 (and preboarding) means that the people who get upgraded have to relocate to the front of the cabin after taking their seats.

And if I choose to wait by the counter, then thatís just more inconvenient time sitting around. If I have a carry on it means no carry on space.

In this case, it meant that I didnít get to use the restroom. I was waiting by the gate instead of being on the plane. Then the rather rude and snippy first class attendant wouldnít let me use the bathroom shortly before the door closed.

And this is the first time in 9 flights over the past month that Iíve gotten an upgrade. I can accept not getting upgrades on cheap fares, but I found todayís customer service crappy. My experience probably would have been better without worrying about or getting the upgrade. Thanks UA.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bigwings8 View Post
So then I should just stand and wait by the counter and not board while I wait for the upgrade?

And if I choose to wait by the counter, then thatís just more inconvenient time sitting around. If I have a carry on it means no carry on space.

In this case, it meant that I didnít get to use the restroom. I was waiting by the gate instead of being on the plane. Then the rather rude and snippy first class attendant wouldnít let me use the bathroom shortly before the door closed.

Well before there was a UA app - and buyup's - it was customary to stand by the counter and have no clue where you stood with upgrades. You'd usually get a customary - first class has check in full, or will Mr. So and So, and Ms. So and So wait by the gate for a possible upgrade - or, walk up to the counter and go, do I have a chance? And more often than not, practically the entire plane was onboard before they called your name for the upgrade. So - it is much better now than the old days.

You can board your original seat assignment - keep refreshing the app. There is a risk they will skip you though if you can't verify you want the upgrade.

Search this Thread