Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX - SBA, at check in, $1231. For that 22 minutes of airtime, I think I'll pass

Old Feb 28, 2023, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by tstauck
LAX - SBA, at check in, $1231. For that 22 minutes of airtime, I think I'll pass

Must be trying to help people get some marginal value from reaching their PQP thresholds by offering upgrades when the flight is J1C0 or something instead of needing the straight cash buy up at the end of the year
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tstauck

1200 bucks to roll down the freeway?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
You may get a higher PQP credit on the sticker-type, non-transferable upgrades because they're not subject to US airfare tax. (On fully domestic itineraries, 100% of the sticker-type upgrade price becomes PQP).
Seems to also be true for flights to Canada (at least the $99 I am often offered to upgrade YYZ<>EWR fully posts as PQP)
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Just took a $319 EWR-LAX from PP to Business next week.

Offered $319 as well from PP to Business on SFO-EWR red eye the week after.
jbeans likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA S
I'm seeing $398 to Premium Plus for LHR->SFO in April on an award ticket, seems like a reasonable offer.

1. What are the odds that this drops if I'm willing to gamble day of? Flight looks lightly loaded atm.
2. Fair chance I end up cancelling this award. Is the refund process for cabin upgrades sane?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to buy SBN-ORD-RDU today. $249 for a V fare or $470 for a mixed Q/P Fare (SBN-ORD is single class). After booking I was offered to upgrade ORD-RDU for $149. I passed, it's not worth that to me.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whakojacko
I'm seeing $398 to Premium Plus for LHR->SFO in April on an award ticket, seems like a reasonable offer.

1. What are the odds that this drops if I'm willing to gamble day of? Flight looks lightly loaded atm.
Personally - I think the odds are zero and will go up quite a bit
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whakojacko

2. Fair chance I end up cancelling this award. Is the refund process for cabin upgrades sane?
TOD upgrades are nonrefundable.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 7:33 pm

Award ticket from SFO to PRG via FRA upgrade on first segment only (UA SFO to FRA) for the low low price of $12,860.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Award ticket from SFO to PRG via FRA upgrade on first segment only (UA SFO to FRA) for the low low price of $12,860.
That is so reasonable. UA's really knocking it out of the park in offering value to the customer.

David
HawaiiDave and zombietooth like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Your offer beats mine for the upfare offer of an XN award (PVG-SFO), which is nearly $9K. If I buy this one-way ticket (PVG-ORF) with cash, the dollar amount is slightly less than the upfare fare. In other word, my 35K miles for the economy ticket have a negative value!
kevino and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Day of departure. KIX-SFO (10hrs).
I have a W/Q ticket.
Paid $300 a few days ago for PP upgrade. At the time Polaris upgrade was priced around $5,000 I think.
Now I have a chance of PP to Polaris for $900.
That would bring it to $1200 total, pretty much in line with the $550+30,000 mile offer I have been seeing for the last couple weeks on the upgrade cabin tab.

Too rich for my blood though, given the roundtrip was around $2,600.

My partner is on an award ticket.
Offer is $800 for PP or $900 for Polaris.
SPN Lifer and vg247 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
I'm on SFO-BNE in 3 weeks, I got a Premium Plus ticket through AMEX travel, when I login to United Account no cash upgrade offer shows, just a Miles for a waitlist option. It's a 788 so just 28 Polaris seats onboard but 10 showing empty.

Is this usual?

-Paul
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
March 27, PVG-SFO. $1,300 G Class ticket.

Buy-up offer: $5,800 for PE, $8,100 for J.

Total price: original fare + buy up = $7,100 for PE, $9,400 for J.

However, if you buy ticket for the same flight, PE fare is $3,300 and J fare is 5,500.

This is insane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.