Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You may want to rethink your choice of carriers then.

I don't want to spend $5,000+ to take a flight in the first place (and never have), but UA's seat is, by far, the best part of the Polaris experience.
If you and I are both in Polaris, aren’t we both sitting in the same seat? I choose to be awake when I do it.

If I want to go in Polaris from East Coast to Bali in December it’s going to cost me $5000 a person. If you know ways to find cheaper flights, I’m listening.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zitsky
If I want to go in Polaris from East Coast to Bali in December it’s going to cost me $5000 a person. If you know ways to find cheaper flights, I’m listening.
There have been plenty of deals to the nearby CGK recently, and I see low-ish SV fares to the region right now (around $3,000 to BKK). It's very early to be booking a December trip without a good fare.

But if you have to fly directly to DPS without a ticket split, and "in December" actually means "during the Christmas holiday when everyone else wants to travel", and must fly on a non-TK *A carrier, and... that's the kind of inflexibility that makes you pay premium prices. The point jsloan is making is that some of us would just stay home - or fly somewhere else, or at a different time - instead of paying that.

You're not paying $5,000 to "sleep on a plane" - you're paying to get on the very specific flight on the specific day to the specific city you want to visit.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

It is too early to book a flight in December. You may want to book it in late summer/early Fall, when price is dropped.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold

Who wants to spend $5-$10,000 to sleep on a flight?
Because some of us can't sleep when sitting straight up in a can of sardines .

All kidding aside, most of us here will not pay that for a flight and will book with points or use Plus Points to upgrade or find alternatives to still fly in J and get to enjoy Polaris whether it's to be wined and dined or to sleep in comfort, whatever your preference is.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
All kidding aside, most of us here will not pay that for a flight and will book with points or use Plus Points to upgrade or find alternatives to still fly in J and get to enjoy Polaris whether it's to be wined and dined or to sleep in comfort, whatever your preference is.
Well, right. Put the price aside for a second, though. My primary point was that whereas UA's seat is among the best in its class, the soft product -- the service OP is going to get while awake -- is decidedly not. If someone is flying business class to enjoy the food and champagne, UA would not be my recommendation.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by findark
There have been plenty of deals to the nearby CGK recently, and I see low-ish SV fares to the region right now (around $3,000 to BKK). It's very early to be booking a December trip without a good fare.

But if you have to fly directly to DPS without a ticket split, and "in December" actually means "during the Christmas holiday when everyone else wants to travel", and must fly on a non-TK *A carrier, and... that's the kind of inflexibility that makes you pay premium prices. The point jsloan is making is that some of us would just stay home - or fly somewhere else, or at a different time - instead of paying that.

You're not paying $5,000 to "sleep on a plane" - you're paying to get on the very specific flight on the specific day to the specific city you want to visit.
I’m not sure why there is a problem with finding the best option and the cheapest price? Isn’t that what you folks talk about every single day?

Holiday travel is expensive. I already knew that.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not sure why there is a problem with finding the best option and the cheapest price?
There's no problem with that. Who said that there was? Nobody is attacking you or your choices. We're just saying, most of us would not consider $5,000 on UA to be both the best option and the cheapest price, especially many months prior to departure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:22 pm

There's no problem with that. Who said that there was? Nobody is attacking you or your choices. We're just saying, most of us would not consider $5,000 on UA to be both the best option and the cheapest price, especially many months prior to departure.
I think I started my question earlier with “Is this a reasonable price for travel to a specific location at a specific time of year.” I was not asking for someone to book a flight for me. I was asking “do you know a cheaper or better way to accomplish my goal?”

If $5000 pp for J is not reasonable to travel from East Coast to Bali at Christmas then what is reasonable? Because on some forums I’m told yes that’s reasonable. If someone has a better idea then I’m all ears. If there is a better time to book then when? 3 weeks before my trip? 3 months?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I think I started my question earlier with “Is this a reasonable price for travel to a specific location at a specific time of year.” I was not asking for someone to book a flight for me. I was asking “do you know a cheaper or better way to accomplish my goal?”

If $5000 pp for J is not reasonable to travel from East Coast to Bali at Christmas then what is reasonable? Because on some forums I’m told yes that’s reasonable. If someone has a better idea then I’m all ears. If there is a better time to book then when? 3 weeks before my trip? 3 months?
I think maybe what's being said is that there's possibly a better value/more premium experience to be had on another airline, it's just too early to tell what airline it will be on. SQ, NH, CX, JL, EK, QR or other foreign or Asian airlines will offer a better experience at a potentially competitive price. I agree, $5k isn't bad for J especially if its the dates and connections/times you want. Personally I'd be looking to book later in the summer/early fall. There's many ways you could do it but google flights is easy to use to monitor prices.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Instead of booking at the last minute, I booked mine about 11 months before the trip. I had to fly out of SNA, didn't want to drive up to LAX. Initially, it was SNA-FRA-IST-SNA but it was over $3,000 in Economy when I looked. I removed the FRA-IST part and made it a two open-ended trip. It dropped to $1,800 so I booked that and bought a one-way $120 ticket to SAW (cheaper airport in Istanbul).

Just like I do for hotels, I regularly checked United.com's My Trips then Manage Trip to see if I could snag a lower price.

Prices kept changing, soon, it was $2,400 in Premium Plus if I did SNA-SFO-FRA-ORD-SNA so I snagged that one, very happy with the deal, and was waitlisted on both ways to Polaris.

Sometimes it pays to tinker around with the itinerary. Doing SNA-FRA-SNA was $5,750 in Polaris, but I saw that if I did SNA-FRA then AMS-SNA, it'd be $3,000 flat in Polaris. I think having an itinerary that was initially open-ended made it possible for me to select the return city to SNA.

Another benefit of paying more for a confirmed Polaris seat is being able to pick 1L or 3L, my favorite spot. I hate the middle seats.

Of course, I had to buy another one-way ticket from SAW to AMS.. front row seat on Pegasus for $100.

No longer waitlisted, it's confirmed. I'm now one of the big boys. Moving on up, moving on up to the east side of a deluxe apartment in the sky...
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
I think maybe what's being said is that there's possibly a better value/more premium experience to be had on another airline, it's just too early to tell what airline it will be on. SQ, NH, CX, JL, EK, QR or other foreign or Asian airlines will offer a better experience at a potentially competitive price. I agree, $5k isn't bad for J especially if its the dates and connections/times you want. Personally I'd be looking to book later in the summer/early fall. There's many ways you could do it but google flights is easy to use to monitor prices.
Anything and everything is on the table.

Originally I was looking at Premium Economy then Business. The reason to book now is to get seats you want right now. More important in Premium Economy with limited seats and not as important in Business.

Problem with United is I fly RDU to west coast and get a Polaris seat with domestic service. I can’t find a use for my miles. All I see is waiting list.

Meanwhile Asian airlines are offering true business class for $5000 pp from East Coast to Singapore if not all the way to Bali.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My broader point was that I have never spent more than about $3,000 on a ticket and never flown overwater in a class less than J - and then on DL out of a DL fortress hub because I didn't feel like splitting to a TP ticket during the era of COVID border restrictions. I suspect that will rise in my future as I value schedule more and dollars less, but that is also kind of my point here:

Without a deep dive into your flexibility or lack thereof, it's impossible to say whether you are finding the lowest price given your number of constraints, but for the abstract leisure traveler who wants to prioritize a low price, $5k is stratospheric. On the other end, business travelers with a fixed schedule that need to go to A on Monday and home on Thursday, no exceptions, routinely pay $10k and would think $5k a bargain.

In general, FT is focused around changing travel habits to save lots of money, whether that's finding cheap fares, available upgrades, gaming the system, etc. I think the nerve you struck here is asserting that $5,000 is just "what it costs" to fly Business, when that's obviously not true for many/most of us not on OPM.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thank you WineCountryUA for your comments! Having never watched this system in action before I am really surprised how little price movement I've seen in the offers presented so far (still T-9). Fascinating! I'll rest easy knowing that I did the best for my friend
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Prices can move in either direction, and it's common for them to do so.
As can the price for simply re-ticketing in F using change flight, but for the same flight in F (I’m talking domestic- have not flown UA international since pre-pandemic). I have found it is sometimes much cheaper than the upgrade offer. Who knows why the IT does that.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Here's a crazy one. I'm flying nonstop IAD-LIS in April. Initially got a pretty good coach fare, and then later bought up to PP. Total cost around $1270. Current cost to straight up buy a PP fare is around $2600, so I think the total cost to buyup was OK.

Now comes the crazy part. I've been watching the cost to buyup to Polaris. It's been running around $3700, which is not in my wheelhouse. Today I took a look at the Polaris buyup cost, with 7 seats left, and the price has skyrocketed to over $10,000, even though the cost to straightup purchase Polaris is only $5,800!
spellingninja likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.