Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You would have to work it out with your employer and align with the existing company travel policy. If you upfare, and the trip ends up not happening, the underlying fare credit is your employer's and the upfare amount is yours, how that gets all sorted out may need input from your company.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When you truely upfare, on a non refundable ticket and then cancel, you will recevie a single FFC. How to you habdle FFCs on a company purchased ticket? As the credit is in your name (generally)?
Thanks guys. Was curious if there was a delineation in credit due to two separate credit cards used for transaction but makes sense it's single FFC since one/the same PNR. I don't mind fronting the cash for F but don't want to lose that personal amount either. Thought I would try to get fancy with upfair vs DOD but sounds like safe bet is to wait until closer in and if trip is a go then hope for best with DOD. I appreciate the help!
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Not sure if this is the correct thread move if need be.
We (fam of 4) are currently booked into R class PP on the 781 ORD to HNL flight. Two of us are sitting together, and the other two are scattered in the cabin due to not many available seat choices left. Not a totally bad deal and we'd live it. However what are the general chances some current PP passengers move up to F on that route, freeing some seats to jockey around in? This is not a CPU flight, correct? So we just have to hope some of the PP passengers buy up into F right? Correct me if wrong.....
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
We (fam of 4) are currently booked into R class PP on the 781 ORD to HNL flight. Two of us are sitting together, and the other two are scattered in the cabin due to not many available seat choices left. Not a totally bad deal and we'd live it. However what are the general chances some current PP passengers move up to F on that route, freeing some seats to jockey around in? This is not a CPU flight, correct? So we just have to hope some of the PP passengers buy up into F right? Correct me if wrong.....
Set seat alert on a site like ExpertFlyer, Buy ups can happen anytime but definitely more as you get closer to departure especially last couple of days.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, no CPUs on that route -- instrument upgrades or buy-ups would clear seats, although there are probably just as many people listed for Premium Plus seats, and it may be difficult to find the time when the seats are available. Consider an ExpertFlyer Seat Alert -- I believe the free version includes that support.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
$399 to buy the last F seat on tomorrow's morning 777 flight IAD-LAX (domestic configuration with the old United Business 2-4-2 seats). Of course this is not a great seat, but I wanted to nap on the flight and the back was down to middle seats only, so I ponied up.

Well, I just found out I am getting a Polaris seat because the inbound flight (UA2221) got cancelled and they are swapping in an international aircraft. So... even better deal.
I know now why it was still $399 even just prior to boarding and last seat. Rows and rows of empty coach seats. Aircraft was 789.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:27 pm

Flying SFO-CDG in mid-April. Booked XN to see the buy-up offer and it's currently 379 for R and 3,499 for J. I feel like the XN offers are normally less than paying for coach tickets and trying to upgrade... am I making that up for no reason or is there some empirical evidence that suggest that to be the case?

379 isn't horrible for PE since it's not an easy flight to sleep on anyhow(2:40pm departure) so I'm considering just going for it.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Flying SFO-CDG in mid-April. Booked XN to see the buy-up offer and it's currently 379 for R and 3,499 for J. I feel like the XN offers are normally less than paying for coach tickets and trying to upgrade... am I making that up for no reason or is there some empirical evidence that suggest that to be the case?

379 isn't horrible for PE since it's not an easy flight to sleep on anyhow(2:40pm departure) so I'm considering just going for it.
Is XN refundable, in case you didn’t like the PP offer or or were you ok with flying in economy anyway? I won’t be in PP until May myself.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Is XN refundable, in case you didn’t like the PP offer or or were you ok with flying in economy anyway? I won’t be in PP until May myself.
All unused United award tickets are refundable prior to departure.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
All unused United award tickets are refundable prior to departure.
Ok I thought it was cash to upsell award. XN is award then? I’ll review inventory codes.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Ok I thought it was cash to upsell award. XN is award then? I’ll review inventory codes.
If I pay for that upgrade to R(or J) the cash portion would be non-refundable. As of now though I'm just booking and cancelling to check pricing. Considering booking a cash ticket roundtrip in Y but thinking my best bet of avoiding coach is to just book the saver award and pay for the upgrade. If the J price drops to ~$1k I'll go for it.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Thanks guys. Was curious if there was a delineation in credit due to two separate credit cards used for transaction but makes sense it's single FFC since one/the same PNR. I don't mind fronting the cash for F but don't want to lose that personal amount either. Thought I would try to get fancy with upfair vs DOD but sounds like safe bet is to wait until closer in and if trip is a go then hope for best with DOD. I appreciate the help!
One follow up question. If I do DOD and then end up voluntarily cancel...do I retain the PQP for the upgrade price I paid? Or is it total loss of cash and PQP? Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One follow up question. If I do DOD and then end up voluntarily cancel...do I retain the PQP for the upgrade price I paid? Or is it total loss of cash and PQP? Thanks.
You wouldn't earn the PQP in the first place. You have to fly to earn the PQP.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You wouldn't earn the PQP in the first place. You have to fly to earn the PQP.
Doh! Stupid question. I know better. Thanks Sloan!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Doh! Stupid question. I know better. Thanks Sloan!
im assuming the worst thing you could do is buy up to F or R or J, then not fly the segment. No refund, and no pqp either right?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im assuming the worst thing you could do is buy up to F or R or J, then not fly the segment. No refund, and no pqp either right?
Correct, although there are occasional reports of people getting refunds or being allowed to use the buy-up on another flight in the same market. It's not something I would count on, though.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.