Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is, of course, no simple answer. This depends on the individual.

Polaris cash offers, for $50/hr it is a no brainer, $75/hr think about , $100/hr only if sleep is really needed, >$100/hr - I pass
This is for routes from SFO and >10-12 hrs.
+1 on it's all down to your individual cost/benefit ratio.

I also fly out of SFO and my thresholds are similar for Westbound (daytime). I will pay a premium for Eastbound flights with later departures so more of the flight will be in my natural sleep zone. For an early afternoon departure, P+ is just fine because we will land not much after midnight as far as my body clock is concerned.

I will pay $100/hr and maybe bit over for SFO/LAX-LHR/FRA/MUC/CDG/AMS/FCO lie flat on a 9pm or later departure. In the winter, of course, most of the bed time flights are LX/LH so it's a whole different equation.

When traveling with my wife, it's Polaris or bust, but she's usually on and award ticket and I'm on paid + $ or paid + PlusPoints.
Starman likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Have you ever seen $75/hr or less for SFO-TPE, SFO-HKG?
I have for SFO-EU (multiple destinations) multiple times in the past 2 years (as recent as Dec 2023). Of course, specific routes do to limited capacity may not get there, experiences may be different as I am not an Asian flyer nowadays so I have not had that choice to consider.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
What kind of buy up value would you put on an 8 hr mainland to HNL PP seat on the 781?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I have for SFO-EU (multiple destinations) multiple times in the past 2 years (as recent as Dec 2023). Of course, specific routes do to limited capacity may not get there, experiences may be different as I am not an Asian flyer nowadays so I have not had that choice to consider.
Thanks. I have a suspicion that TPAC DOD price in general is higher than TATL.
My observation of SFO-TPAC is that if it is $75/hr or lower, it is always upgrade to PE. Never for upgrade to J.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:19 pm

Heres a good one for you. Bought a $319 upgrade to PP for my family of 4 on the ORD to HNL 781 flight. Assigned seats and all, paid on the purchase screen, then got the purchase confirmation email. Was happy...started to walk away from my computer, then saw a 2nd email from UA pop up stating my purchase of the PP seats was CANCELLED. WTH I thought to myself. Went back in to repurchase the seats and the price went up to just under $1000.
Was steamed. UA chat rep says nothing to can be done. Bait and switch and Im probably SOL. Great.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Heres a good one for you. Bought a $319 upgrade to PP for my family of 4 on the ORD to HNL 781 flight. Assigned seats and all, paid on the purchase screen, then got the purchase confirmation email. Was happy...started to walk away from my computer, then saw a 2nd email from UA pop up stating my purchase of the PP seats was CANCELLED. WTH I thought to myself. Went back in to repurchase the seats and the price went up to just under $1000.
Was steamed. UA chat rep says nothing to can be done. Bait and switch and Im probably SOL. Great.
I have had that happen twice.

Calling in got it fixed the first time. Note in my case it was still being offered online and the agent could see it and each time the credit card was processed, confirmation notice sent -- then the cancellation notice. Eventually, with a supervisors help, it was forced thru.

The second time, a few months later, the agent and supervisor told me that even after processing the credit card, and sending the confirmation UA was allowed to cancel -- NOT!!. I threaten and eventually sent it to DoT. A few weeks later it was still showing as a offer. I tried again and it failed again. Called again and this time the agent escalated to a supervisor and eventually pushed it through. Never heard back from DOT or UA, suspect UA saw it was processed and dropped the matter.

Thought out the various episodes, the agents reported the was cancelling because offer space was not available even thought the offer stayed available.

These were TATL offers.

Is your offer still visible? If so, get a supervisor to push it thru. If no still visible, the situation is less clear but with a confirmation email and credit card pending charge, go to the DOT. Be aware the DOT is at least a month or more backlog.
SPN Lifer and Hawkeyefan like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by zitsky
What did you think about the previous poster’s comment that $100 an hour is too high? How long was your flight? What $/hr? I could wait until check in I guess but I am tempted.
I don't know $/hr. I think the flights are like 7-8h, but time in seat longer, obviously. In the end, the prices fit my financial profile and the benefits outweighed the costs for me.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:20 pm

I have had that happen twice.

Calling in got it fixed the first time. Note in my case it was still being offered online and the agent could see it and each time the credit card was processed, confirmation notice sent -- then the cancellation notice. Eventually, with a supervisors help, it was forced thru.

The second time, a few months later, the agent and supervisor told me that even after processing the credit card, and sending the confirmation UA was allowed to cancel -- NOT!!. I threaten and eventually sent it to DoT. A few weeks later it was still showing as a offer. I tried again and it failed again. Called again and this time the agent escalated to a supervisor and eventually pushed it through. Never heard back from DOT or UA, suspect UA saw it was processed and dropped the matter.

Thought out the various episodes, the agents reported the was cancelling because offer space was not available even thought the offer stayed available.

These were TATL offers.

Is your offer still visible? If so, get a supervisor to push it thru. If no still visible, the situation is less clear but with a confirmation email and credit card pending charge, go to the DOT. Be aware the DOT is at least a month or more backlog.
Very interesting I wonder what sort of IT snafu was happening?
I politely pushed the matter and it almost moved up to a manager on chat, when the first rep stated they would honor the original offer and push it thru. It took a lot of going round and round, but really UA didnt have a leg to stand on with proof in my email inbox. They did do the right thing eventually.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:39 pm

....really UA didnt have a leg to stand on with proof in my email inbox. .....
That was my point .. Offer made and accepted. Paid for and confirmed by offeror. Pretty clear cut. That;s what lead to my DOT complaint when the supervisor stated UA can cancel by unilaterally refunding the purchase regardless having confirm the purchase.

I found the other agents felt the same way as I did, but had to struggle to make it work. Glad it worked out for you, also.

And as yours was, mine was not a pricing error or a ridiculous price. While a good price, it was in the range of prior offers you see on FT.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Booked XN for 30k miles for EWR-ATH-PRG in April, was offered 899 for PP or 999 for for Polaris on EWR-ATH for P2. Took the Polaris offer since I assumed price would go up and $1k +30k miles seemed not too terrible for one way Polaris.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 5:42 pm

Currently in PP on the 781 ORD to HNL. Originally XN award seat, then $300 buyup to PP R space. Totally ok staying there BUT, what would be a reasonable offer to get to F? Current offer is $930 with JN9.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Currently in PP on the 781 ORD to HNL. Originally XN award seat, then $300 buyup to PP R space. Totally ok staying there BUT, what would be a reasonable offer to get to F? Current offer is $930 with JN9.
Daytime flight w/ domestic service? Meh. PP's good enough.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Daytime flight w/ domestic service? Meh. PP's good enough.
I agree, spend the money on nice meals in HNL or a nice excursion. I can't imagine the lines of what UA thinks they can get (and probably will get) for the upgrade and what I think it's worth would ever cross.
Hawkeyefan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
$399 to buy the last F seat on tomorrow's morning 777 flight IAD-LAX (domestic configuration with the old United Business 2-4-2 seats). Of course this is not a great seat, but I wanted to nap on the flight and the back was down to middle seats only, so I ponied up.

Well, I just found out I am getting a Polaris seat because the inbound flight (UA2221) got cancelled and they are swapping in an international aircraft. So... even better deal.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:07 pm

I had a strange experience. In one part of the smartphone app I was offered $800 to upgrade PP to Polaris. LIS-IAD. On the 767-400. In another place it was more than twice that. I’m pretty sure it was per person. I saw the cheaper price a few days ago but didn’t do it. I thought it was gone.

The cheaper price was in Reservation Details -> Upgrade cabin

The more expensive price was in Travel In Comfort.

When I found the cheaper price (again) for LIS-IAD I decided to upgrade.

Am I right that the odd rows are closer between the middle and window? I picked row 7 for my husband and I. 7F and 7L.

Also does anyone know what the Polaris/Business lounge is like in LIS and if it’s worth a visit? Our flight is at 11:20am.

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 31, 2024 at 8:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.