Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 7, 22, 5:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Sfo-sin $989

For 16+ hrs SFO-SIN flight, the offer for buyup to Polaris for $989 is not bad. The original booking class is K. But I have not pulled the trigger yet. There are still 10 seats available.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:47 am

DUB - EWR

K fare on a Thursday morning flight

$229 to PP
$829 to Business.

10+ tickets available in both classes, I suspect there will be some happy non-revs.

Edit: business is now $519 at T-9 hours

Last edited by Dpetryszyn; Aug 28, 19 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How do you check for upsell offers if you have a MUA requested on a flight and you're on the waitlist?

UA app shows me second on the Waitlist and 47 of 48 seats are booked so looks like I won't get the MUA.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
How do you check for upsell offers if you have a MUA requested on a flight and you're on the waitlist? ....
You will need to talk to an agent -- phone or airport.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I missed the upgrade by one, at least the UA app. listed me at the top of the wait list when the last Polaris seat was taken.

Flight was packed. When I tried checking back in again, it said it was looking for volunteers to take another flight and offered choices for how much I'd take to give up my seat on that flight.

I believe the highest amount among the preset choices was $700 and then there was a custom choice where you could enter the amount.
Old Aug 29, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
For 16+ hrs SFO-SIN flight, the offer for buyup to Polaris for $989 is not bad. The original booking class is K. But I have not pulled the trigger yet. There are still 10 seats available.
That actually isn't bad considering the pricing for SFO-ORD noted above. When I was heavy on that route I must admit I would have jumped on that in a heart beat.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, National EE
ORD-SFO 8/30: $224 from L. #10 on the list, 1 seat left, of course I took it.
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
I see a sfo-ord for $224 but its a few days out. Any chance this goes down? Im feeling like this turns into one of those expensive buyups. J4 .... P1 PZ0 etc
Old Aug 31, 19, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfnats View Post
I see a sfo-ord for $224 but it’s a few days out. Any chance this goes down? I’m feeling like this turns into one of those expensive buyups. J4 .... P1 PZ0 etc
Unlikely much lower, UA's bottom seems to be around $50/flight hour -- and if this is for Sept 3 or later, last minute buisness travel will pick up the remaining seats
sfnats and creaturecomforts like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 19 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 31, 19, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfnats View Post
I see a sfo-ord for $224 but its a few days out. Any chance this goes down?
No. It's differential pricing based on the underlying fare. What may happen is the flight goes J0.
sfnats likes this.
Old Sep 2, 19, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Offers from Thursday departures last month on a 781:

EWR - FRA: $670 R --> P
FRA - EWR: $549 A --> P
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Dia; Marriott Amb; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit; SLH Indulged
Economy ticket booked with miles - what are the options (if any) for cash upgrade to J? Is this a "non eligible" fare therefore cannot be done? Or can I bid for J cash upgrade at the last minute, or can I upgrade for cash months ahead of time?
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Economy ticket booked with miles - what are the options (if any) for cash upgrade to J? Is this a "non eligible" fare therefore cannot be done? Or can I bid for J cash upgrade at the last minute, or can I upgrade for cash months ahead of time?
Assuming travel is on United -- you can't upgrade with cash ahead of time, and United doesn't have a bidding system. However, you may be offered a cash upgrade at check-in if there are seats available. (The price can fluctuate, so if you don't like the first price that's offered, you can check again later).
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:08 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Dia; Marriott Amb; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit; SLH Indulged
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Assuming travel is on United -- you can't upgrade with cash ahead of time, and United doesn't have a bidding system. However, you may be offered a cash upgrade at check-in if there are seats available. (The price can fluctuate, so if you don't like the first price that's offered, you can check again later).
Thanks for the quick response. I am surprised that UA would not take money (even if hefty price) ahead of time, but so be it!
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:04 am

BOS to SFO: $327 - Q --> D Well worth the upgrade from the middle seat in the back of the plane.

Search this Thread