Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Offered $429 from Y to J, GCM to ORD, on a 739. At around $100/hr still a little high I think.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:49 am

Another data point: at the end of December from SFO-TLV, the offer at check-in was $350 for PP or $999 for Polaris

This was from a Q fare. Wife and I took the PP option. The flight was not full, but there were no fully open rows in E/E+. PP was full with 5-10 empty seats in Polaris
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Mid-March flight SFO-HND

Two tickets in paid economy (K), and two tickets in award economy (XN).

Offered $300pp at purchase to upgrade to PP. Sold! (Although realistically, our group moving from the 4 seats of the front Y bulkhead to 4 middle seats in PP isn't that big an upgrade).
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Absurd offers on my HND-ORD XN award in May-

PP for $5,976
Polaris for $6,393
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by OrdinaryTurtle
Another data point: at the end of December from SFO-TLV, the offer at check-in was $350 for PP or $999 for Polaris

This was from a Q fare. Wife and I took the PP option. The flight was not full, but there were no fully open rows in E/E+. PP was full with 5-10 empty seats in Polaris
Hey welcome to FT!! For that route about as cheap of a TOD upgrade offer I have seen. Probably why you saw as many as 10 empty Polaris seats. I would have jumped on either offer as well fwiw. Others here I am sure can break it down into cents/mile and dollars/minutes, it can get pretty detailed and crazy....LOL

Last edited by nomad420; Feb 9, 2023 at 12:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:52 pm

This one is truly insane. Flying from SFO to MEX non-stop on UA (miles ticket.)

I have checked in. The website is now offering an upgrade to "United Business" (looks like domestic first class to me) for only $2,699.

On the other hand, if I just want to go to united.com I can buy a "Business" ticket on the same flight for $881.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
This one is truly insane. Flying from SFO to MEX non-stop on UA (miles ticket.)

I have checked in. The website is now offering an upgrade to "United Business" (looks like domestic first class to me) for only $2,699.

On the other hand, if I just want to go to united.com I can buy a "Business" ticket on the same flight for $881.
All I can do is shake my head. Maybe people are actually falling for these basically scam offers?!
Starman and benewr like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Mid-March flight SFO-HND

Two tickets in paid economy (K), and two tickets in award economy (XN).

Offered $300pp at purchase to upgrade to PP. Sold! (Although realistically, our group moving from the 4 seats of the front Y bulkhead to 4 middle seats in PP isn't that big an upgrade).
Same for me. I have Silver status that will expire either this month or next.

KIX-SFO $300 or 30,000 offer to "upgrade cabin" Y to PP. $5807 or 30,000+$550 Y to Polaris.
I also have an XN flight but the offer is $5,700 for PP and $6,603 for Polaris, so no joy there.

SFO-HND $300 or 30,000. $5946 or 30,000+$450 Y to Polaris.

Also, for the XN return SFO-ICN is $2274 PP and $3074 for Polaris
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Bought tickets yesterday.
IAH-ORD (V): buy-up to First at time of purchase $422, same price today.
ORD-IAH (T): at purchase $311, today $199, yes I took it and now on a P fare. Upgrade price less than the ticket price delta ($290). It’s on the 757-300, so look forward to sitting in 1A/1B.
Looks like $199 is perhaps the lowest buy-up price for these city pairs?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Bought ticket for YYZ-IAD-CLE in May. Offered $59 for upgrading the YYZ-IAD leg (E175) - took it. Offered $420 to upgrade the IAD-CLE leg (B737). No thanks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VRFast
Looks like $199 is perhaps the lowest buy-up price for these city pairs?
UA sets the buy-up prices based on the differential from Y to available F (without regard to your actual fare). If there's P available, the buy-up will be priced at the lowest differential, which does appear to be $199 on this route.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
$396 PP Y to J EWR to AUA on 739. Seems close to worth it?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
$396 PP Y to J EWR to AUA on 739. Seems close to worth it?
It's a bit under 2,000 miles and just the domestic F seat, so I probably wouldn't take it. If you've got lounge access at sEWeR, you could certainly load up on better food and drink there than the (possible) slop they'll feed you on the flight. Just my two cents.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I guess I'm still confused about what I thought were different ways upgrades can be paid/accounted for. I thought I read the WIKI that said that it doesn't matter now how the fares are changed?

I have some TATL flights that I'd like to move from E+ to PE with dollars and then put some Points or miles down to waitlist to an upgrade to F. The first time I did this was all through a travel agent. Bought the E+ ticket (company CC) and then had them change to PE (My CC), put down points for F (one leg has cleared (PZ), one still waiting (O) ). So I assume that I have a 'real' PE seat. (Mainly concerned if things go sideways on the upgrade F seat, that I'll get punched down to E+).

I just bought another E+ TATL on UA.com and got the offer to upgrade to PE that looked right about at the fare difference. I didn't take it. I'm going to call back in and get a PE seat, but does it matter how they do it? Is GG BUYUP and UP FARES still different things or relevant?

Mainly am concerned that I'll lose the PE 'bump' money if I have to move flights and if the extra PE seat money get put into my PQDs for the year.
I know I've made a mess of the terminology. Just getting back into the swing of international travel.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I guess I'm still confused about what I thought were different ways upgrades can be paid/accounted for. I thought I read the WIKI that said that it doesn't matter now how the fares are changed?

I have some TATL flights that I'd like to move from E+ to PE with dollars and then put some Points or miles down to waitlist to an upgrade to F. The first time I did this was all through a travel agent. Bought the E+ ticket (company CC) and then had them change to PE (My CC), put down points for F (one leg has cleared (PZ), one still waiting (O) ). So I assume that I have a 'real' PE seat. (Mainly concerned if things go sideways on the upgrade F seat, that I'll get punched down to E+).
Agreed. The only way that a travel agent can move you to PE is to buy a PE fare.

I just bought another E+ TATL on UA.com and got the offer to upgrade to PE that looked right about at the fare difference. I didn't take it. I'm going to call back in and get a PE seat, but does it matter how they do it? Is GG BUYUP and UP FARES still different things or relevant?
You'd definitely still want to upfare. GG BUYUP covered waiving the chang fee when buying up, so it's no longer relevant. I'm just not sure I entirely believe that UA's batch of new agents will know the difference between accepting a sticker-type upgrade and a true upfare. Maybe ask them if the value will be retained if you need to make a flight change?

Mainly am concerned that I'll lose the PE 'bump' money if I have to move flights and if the extra PE seat money get put into my PQDs for the year.
I know I've made a mess of the terminology. Just getting back into the swing of international travel.
You'll get PQP credit in either case. You may get a higher PQP credit on the sticker-type, non-transferable upgrades because they're not subject to US airfare tax. (On fully domestic itineraries, 100% of the sticker-type upgrade price becomes PQP).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.