Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Upgrade Strategy: Miles vs Cash

Looking for some advice on miles vs cash upgrade strategy:

Booking a RT from SFO-ORD-FCO, return FCO-IAD-SFO in economy this fall. I'm open to using either miles or as cash to upgrade to Polaris (or minimum Prem Eco). Typically I set a expertflyer alert for D/Z class which, when it becomes available, usually translates to a reasonable web-offer. I'm willing to wait for that D/Z inventory until we get a little closer, but my question is, if I go ahead and waitlist for a miles upgrade now, doesn't that remove the online cash upgrade offers? Should I then wait until we are much closer and no good cash offer has come up (e.g one week out) before waitlisting the miles upgrade? Or will I miss out on a lot of chances for a prem eco or polaris miles upgrade chances by doing that? (I assume that upgrades are pretty rare until very close to departure, but maybe that's not true?)

Is alternative strategy to waitlist with miles now, and then if D/Z availability opens, calling to cancel the miles upgrade request and immediately check the cash offer? (and if not acceptable, re-list the miles upgrade?)

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Yes on an international PNR you will not be able to see the cash upgrade after you apply a MUA, which covers all legs of your itinerary. If your international leg only has D<9 and/or Z<9, I wouldn't worry about PZ opening anytime soon. This also means that United is very confident they will sell all seats before departure. I would wait with applying the MUA and check the cash upgrade prices, for the international legs, daily and see if they move, then pounce on it if you like the price. There should be a separate upgrade price for the domestic segment. If you have no status with UA, your upgrade chances using a MUA are pretty much zero.
SPN Lifer and sfsouthbay like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:03 pm

Hi guys, not sure if this has been mentioned. But I've been trying to find an answer but haven't gotten it. Booked on EWR - HND then on NH HND-SIN in Premium PLus (R), however, I'm unable to see the cash upgrade option and there is only miles + copay option for EWR-HND route. Would I have to call in to ask for the price or am I not eligible (No status). J D Z P showing 9.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Hi All - Does United offer the ability to pay the fare difference to switch to First Class after booking? This would be for a domestic flight booked in normal (not basic) economy.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Hi All - Does United offer the ability to pay the fare difference to switch to First Class after booking? This would be for a domestic flight booked in normal (not basic) economy.
Yes. If you view your reservation you should see an upgrade offer, which will frequently be cheaper than the fare difference between economy and first. If you want to pay the full fare difference you can do so in the "Change Flights" functionality.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
Yes. If you view your reservation you should see an upgrade offer, which will frequently be cheaper than the fare difference between economy and first. If you want to pay the full fare difference you can do so in the "Change Flights" functionality.
​​​​​​​Just be mindful upgrade offers, unlike the underlying fare, are lost should you cancel or modify the trip.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Just be mindful upgrade offers, unlike the underlying fare, are lost should you cancel or modify the trip.
Thanks, so this would not be the case if modifying and paying the difference?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks, so this would not be the case if modifying and paying the difference?
Correct. If you refare the ticket, the entire value is preserved.

You can typically make this change via the "change flights" function on the app.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Tomorrow - Mileage award for Premium Plus DEN/IAH/AMS 562 to 20 - offered Polaris for $699 at check in and grabbed it. Before that, it had been $1850. UA562 seems to possibly need volunteers. Could be an interesting day.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
UA562 seems to possibly need volunteers. Could be an interesting day.
Don't get your hopes up. I'm pretty sure this is just UA gathering data again. I don't think the flight is oversold.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Don't get your hopes up. I'm pretty sure this is just UA gathering data again. I don't think the flight is oversold.
Already happy with the deal I got especially considering IAH has a Polaris Lounge and at the moment I would be leaving Denver from A14 so wouldn't bother with the United Club - will use CSR Priority Pass at the Mercantile. OTOH, I am a single traveler with flexibility
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
$1952 for ORD-ASE on a mileage ticket at time of purchase several months out. Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha...yeah...no.
VRFast likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
$200 even IAD to MSP on an E175?
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by benewr
Just took a $319 EWR-LAX from PP to Business next week.

Offered $319 as well from PP to Business on SFO-EWR red eye the week after.
Just to add my own data point for folks: booked PP Award Ticket (was 32k miles versus Economy at 34k?) LAX-EWR red-eye on Monday and pulled trigger today on upgrade to Polaris for $319. $60/hour not cheap but need to sleep, long(est?) domestic flight in the system and lie flat bed. I'll also take advantage of lounge access at LAX.

8-10 J seats open but seems like the price is relatively inline with what others have seen/paid. Of course will always wonder if I could have gotten cheaper closer to departure.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
long(est?) domestic flight in the system
not even close, It’s not even the longest flight from EWR within the 48 contiguous states. (EWR-SFO is a little longer).

EWR-HNL is the longest domestic flight in the system.

But if you need to sleep, $319 isn’t an awful price.
SPN Lifer, tstauck and Repooc17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.