Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Is it a good deal? User j2simpso maintains a spreadsheet to help you make that determination.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 15, 18, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
I completely agree. I was highlighting the fact that the cash upgrade option had disappeared for weeks now and I didn't know how to pay money and grab that seat other than pay the cost difference.
Discount cash offers are rare if there is just a single seat available, so check the change flight option or calling is likely to just give you a final fare difference offer.

It appears the offer in the reservation view is just the discount offer version, as it is for the mobile app.
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
If everyone keeps buying up the offers, then eventually upgrades will be 0% instead of 5%. Do not buy the buy-ups!

Is domestic first ever worthwhile? Its a good upgrade but barely something worth paying more than a few dollars for.
It isn't as though a CPU is the only route to a free F seat. You can use RDM's and get an award ticket in F.

I love TOD upgrades. They are often the cheapest wat to get a ticket in F.
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Do not buy the buy-ups!

Is domestic first ever worthwhile?.
Well, speak for yourself but I love reasonable buy ups. Rarely for HNL-SFO roundtrip am I in the top 10 of the upgrade list even as a 1K. I'll gladly buy up to the $300 lie flat offer when I clearly have no chance for an upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
If everyone keeps buying up the offers, then eventually upgrades will be 0% instead of 5%. Do not buy the buy-ups!

Is domestic first ever worthwhile? Its a good upgrade but barely something worth paying more than a few dollars for.
"Domestic upgrades are basically worthless and they're so damn infrequent!"
Old Apr 15, 18, 3:11 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
"Domestic upgrades are basically worthless and they're so damn infrequent!"
And the portions of the in flight meals are so small!
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Had $119 offer each way for ORD-BOS and then EWR-ORD from S-P and took it. Needed the extra PQM's and didn't want to risk the RPU.
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:06 pm

DEN-MSP and MSP-DEN flights next month currently showing $119 buy up, even though current fare difference is $109
Old Apr 16, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
As I claw my way back to 1K, I sometimes take advantage of these on longer flights. Double the PQMs is nice, and while I think its absurd this doesnt help PQDs, Im not worried about that as Im going to end up in the $20K Range by the end of the year.
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by schley View Post
Had $119 offer each way for ORD-BOS
Hah, it's discounted! Every time I book this route, it's $139 each way regardless of the fare.
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:06 pm

If I book an economy award flight, will I be offered an upsell/buy-up at any point? Thanks in advance for answer.
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by ewazak View Post
If I book an economy award flight, will I be offered an upsell/buy-up at any point? Thanks in advance for answer.
Usually one at check-in (for money), at least.
Old Apr 18, 18, 1:52 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by ewazak View Post
Yes at T-24 online check in if available.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:46 am

Has anyone been offered a buy-up when a flight is F0? I'm taking a TCON domestic and both the website and the app areoffering me a $299 TOD while a flight is F0 and the upgrade list shows Booked: FULL.

Kinda tempted to do it just to take the downgrade compensation.

Never mind, I'm just bad at reading. The available upgrade is for the return flight, which is not F0.

Last edited by prometa; Apr 19, 18 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
Has anyone been offered a buy-up when a flight is F0? I'm taking a TCON domestic and both the website and the app areoffering me a $299 TOD while a flight is F0 and the upgrade list shows Booked: FULL.

Kinda tempted to do it just to take the downgrade compensation.
They must count on some passengers not showing up. Their computer algorithms know how to calculate that probability. But to answer your question, I have never been offered one in that case. But maybe their computer knew that on my flights, First Class passengers always show up.
Old Apr 19, 18, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
They must count on some passengers not showing up. Their computer algorithms know how to calculate that probability. But to answer your question, I have never been offered one in that case. But maybe their computer knew that on my flights, First Class passengers always show up.
Except in extraordinary circumstances, UA will not oversell combined J+F inventory on a plane, per policy.

Search this Thread