Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Is it a good deal? User j2simpso maintains a spreadsheet to help you make that determination.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 9, 18, 10:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
For this remaining seat:

United wants this much from me:

Oh, forgot to add where I currently am on the United First(R) Upgrade Standby List:

Maybe I should just try to fly to FRA or BOM instead...

David
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
For this remaining seat:

United wants this much from me:

Oh, forgot to add where I currently am on the United First(R) Upgrade Standby List:

Maybe I should just try to fly to FRA or BOM instead...

David
My recent experience is that with one seat left, prices many hours out will be insane, but closer to departure it will come down, a lot. Check early in the morning, and every 30 minutes or so as you approach departure.
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
My recent experience is that with one seat left, prices many hours out will be insane, but closer to departure it will come down, a lot. Check early in the morning, and every 30 minutes or so as you approach departure.
Yep. @ T-3, here's how much UA's willing to settle for it:

This is the same as my trip back in February on the same route. We'll see if any below #1 on the upgrade list decide that a warm lunch and a barcalounger are worth the expenditure.

Sitting in 21D so I'm good with hobo 1st.

David
Old Apr 10, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA & Hilton
I'm flying Thursday, LEX-ORD-HKG-BKK on award saver redemption. Was able to get return for 80,000 miles. I am UA Gold so have prem. economy seat.

However, I looked and see that there are 14 business seats open. Called the premier line and they said I could upgrade ORD-HKG, however there are no seats - sold out.

Any advice on what to do or expect on day of departure it there are business seats open after GPU's clear?
Old Apr 10, 18, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On day of departure (I mean starting at check-in 24 hours before your first flight) they will offer TODs before the GPUs clear. If it's this Thursday, they sold 31/40 business class seats and are still trying to sell 8 at a high price.
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Yep. @ T-3, here's how much UA's willing to settle for it:

This is the same as my trip back in February on the same route. We'll see if any below #1 on the upgrade list decide that a warm lunch and a barcalounger are worth the expenditure.

Sitting in 21D so I'm good with hobo 1st.

David
For those who make it to #1 on an almost transcon, here's a little hope:

David
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
1K waitlisted DEN FLL with RPU...at check-in, surprise - no buy-up offer for F, but there is a buy-up offer for E+

Obviously, someone else got their $15 offer, because we're down one more F seat without any change in the upgrade list.
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
or SDC.
Old Apr 15, 18, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I had the exact same issue. Tomorrow’s UA2042 was booked full in F for a while and fortunately one seat opened up. I checked my account for a buy up and didn’t see one ( this issue has been now happening for weeks). Gave up and called the 1k line, they quoted me $2k. I laughed and hung up. Was waiting for an offer at check in. But someone had already taken an offer (presumably). Is there a way to call and ask for buy up offers? Can web support help? Seems like this is a genuine website issue.
Old Apr 15, 18, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
I had the exact same issue. Tomorrow’s UA2042 was booked full in F for a while and fortunately one seat opened up. I checked my account for a buy up and didn’t see one ( this issue has been now happening for weeks). Gave up and called the 1k line, they quoted me $2k. I laughed and hung up. Was waiting for an offer at check in. But someone had already taken an offer (presumably). Is there a way to call and ask for buy up offers? Can web support help? Seems like this is a genuine website issue.
If everyone keeps buying up the offers, then eventually upgrades will be 0% instead of 5%. Do not buy the buy-ups!

Is domestic first ever worthwhile? Its a good upgrade but barely something worth paying more than a few dollars for.
Old Apr 15, 18, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
If everyone keeps buying up the offers, then eventually upgrades will be 0% instead of 5%. Do not buy the buy-ups!
lol, at SFO that would mostly just mean "save the CPUs for GS."

And while domestic F is not exactly a lux experience these days, for me it's all about not being crammed in like a sardine in Y.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Apr 15, 18, 8:46 am

For a 6+ hour flight across the country, heck ya... also to note - I had an RPU waitlisted for months...nothing!
Old Apr 15, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
For my flight today ORD-LAX with a V fare: at check-in yesterday (24 hours before my connecting flight), UA wanted $2029.

My waitlisted RPU cleared about 4 hours later (24 hours before the ORD-LAX flight).

That price was obviously not something I would ever pay for a domestic flight. I don't take TODs for domestic flights. But I do take some on international flights even if I have an instrument waitlisted. I used not to but I did start and stay at number 1 in the upgrade list on my last PVG-ORD flight with the GPU not clearing.
Old Apr 15, 18, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post

Best not to assume this was a purchased upgrade or there was a better offer, it may have but it could have been
-- a GS clearing into PN or (1K on YBM fare)
-- someone SDCing to the flight
-- someone purchased a new, last minute ticket
-- while unlikely, I/IN might have opened up and cleared a awardwaitlister

Numerous alternatives
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Best not to assume this was a purchased upgrade or there was a better offer, it may have but it could have been
-- a GS clearing into PN or (1K on YBM fare)
-- someone SDCing to the flight
-- someone purchased a new, last minute ticket
-- while unlikely, I/IN might have opened up and cleared a awardwaitlister

Numerous alternatives
I completely agree. I was highlighting the fact that the cash upgrade option had disappeared for weeks now and I didn't know how to pay money and grab that seat other than pay the cost difference.

Search this Thread