Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old May 25, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: miles plus
Might of but we are flying into HDN and our out of KIX, Delta dropped KIX to SEA.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by bermudai
Might of but we are flying into HDN and our out of KIX, Delta dropped KIX to SEA.
FYI, I think you mean HND (Haneda airport in Tokyo), rather than HDN (Hayden airport in Steamboat Springs, CO)
Old May 25, 2023, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
FYI, I think you mean HND (Haneda airport in Tokyo), rather than HDN (Hayden airport in Steamboat Springs, CO)
yes thanks even 5 weeks ago when looking at fares I kept transposing! HDN rolls easier for me!
Old May 28, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Curious what range folks are typically willing to pay from Y to PremPlus from SFO-EWR and vice versa? Current offer is $255.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by chemengin
Curious what range folks are typically willing to pay from Y to PremPlus from SFO-EWR and vice versa? Current offer is $255.
Never done that segment, but I would def pay that for that long of a flight, plus you get served. E+ is probably half that or lower for just a marginally better seat 3 abreast. Just realized E+ would be free for you as a Plat.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd pay that (and a bit higher) for J, not for PE.
prometa likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd pay that (and a bit higher) for J, not for PE.
Do you expect the offers to go down? Flight is in 2 weeks. Wondering if there is any predicability on this route.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Quick 4 hrs+ with tailwind. I personally would not pay to upgrade, but you may consider it if you can get an aisle or window PE seat. Certainly would not upgrade if only middle seats are available.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and VRFast like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I paid $225 in the last month. (originally a T fare) It has been generally higher.
SPN Lifer, vg247 and chemengin like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Do you expect the offers to go down? Flight is in 2 weeks. Wondering if there is any predicability on this route.
Sorry, my comment was not based on specific recent experience with UA pricing on this route, but rather with the product. I wouldn't pay $60 an hour for PE. I'd be looking for the cheapest way into J, either on UA or another carrier.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:27 am

I finial got an offer upon checkin for

PP to First flt 4678 BOI-SFO for $149 2 hour

PP to Polaris flt 875 SFO to HND at $1399 11 hour flight.

Wife has no offers to move from EP to PP as of yet. Probably need some one to move out of PP to Polaris first.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bermudai
I finial got an offer upon checkin for

PP to First flt 4678 BOI-SFO for $149 2 hour

PP to Polaris flt 875 SFO to HND at $1399 11 hour flight.

Wife has no offers to move from EP to PP as of yet. Probably need some one to move out of PP to Polaris first.
Fyi, BOI to SFO will just be E+ seats, no PE seats.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:13 am

Correct

I edited it to read correctly.

But again have not flown United in years so not use to the system. What I found out is this:

I checked her in, but because I have no passport info for the other 5 travelers on the reservation they were not check in. Therefore the system told me no upgrades available (when I clicked on the up grade button). There were only 3 seats in PP to HND, The system had my wife checked in so it was separated out in a way.

After I posted the above, I went back and checked on her seats and EP to PP $399, it may of gone down but just tired of the games United plays, they could of just sold me the same seat 2 weeks ago! Also since she is the organizer her trip is free so really the whole tour cost her only $399!

So I guess If you are in a party of 6, and 3 upgraded seats are avaible pick who you want to upgrade at the time, check them in only them, then go to the checked in reservation and see if you get an offer? Been told another way is to get each person in the party a new res number BEFORE check in.

Mission accomplished for now out bound we are both in PP SFO-HND. Will see what happens with Polaris, if it goes down? I have no idea on what our tickets cost from the start, but it makes buying the PP seats round trip or only $300 more then economy a steal at the time of initial booking when Ilooked at buying a ticket on my own!

Last edited by bermudai; May 29, 2023 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:36 pm

Is there any quick/easy way to check for cash offers if you are currently on an upgrade waitlist? The offers do not show up when on the waitlist.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is there any quick/easy way to check for cash offers if you are currently on an upgrade waitlist? The offers do not show up when on the waitlist.
Call or removed the waitlisted request (and then reapply - could, but not likely to change your position)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.