Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but only at check-in

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cance. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 18, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Might be the wrong thread, but has anyone done a GG BUYUP at a foreign United office? I assume such offices can process such transactions, but I've always done them by phone. (I haven't been in an airline ticket office in probably 10+ years.) Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by lsu2012 View Post
Totally depends on available inventory. I got another $28 TOD F upgrade two days ago on EWR-IAH.
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
That might be the best one I've ever seen. No additional PQM, I assume?
I'll bet the pax was travelling on an E fare or something similarly high and $28 was the buy-up to M->PN. ToD engine has been known to offer this for 1Ks and other elites historically, but I thought it had stopped more recently. (Edit: just noticed pax is a Gold, so presumably 'bought M, $28 was the differential to B->PN' is the rationale behind the ToD if I'm right.)
Old Mar 15, 18, 7:42 am

Programs: United
possible to purchase E+ and/or upgrade, both scenarios at the gate? I may want an E+ ticket but only if I can ensure there is no one next to me, so I figured I'd wait 'til the gate to be sure. Thoughts? Flight is not full, and it's tonight EWR-London
Old Mar 15, 18, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zagat2 View Post
possible to purchase E+ and/or upgrade, both scenarios at the gate? I may want an E+ ticket but only if I can ensure there is no one next to me, so I figured I'd wait 'til the gate to be sure. Thoughts? Flight is not full, and it's tonight EWR-London
Yes to both. It's also possible to purchase E+ after boarding, although the flight attendants don't always enjoy having to deal with it.
Old Mar 15, 18, 8:41 am

What's a typical TOD up sell for IAD-DEN?
Old Mar 15, 18, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Gold
Quick buy up question: On the list for upgrade using a Mileage Plus Award on an SFO-EWR flight - 6 seats left, I am 9 on the list so most likely not going to clear. I usually get a buy up offer on the app for this flight, but there isn't one. Could it be because I'm on the upgrade list? Or perhaps they just aren't offering. Curious.

Thanks for any help or opinions!
Old Mar 15, 18, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by SFO1974 View Post
Quick buy up question: On the list for upgrade using a Mileage Plus Award on an SFO-EWR flight - 6 seats left, I am 9 on the list so most likely not going to clear. I usually get a buy up offer on the app for this flight, but there isn't one. Could it be because I'm on the upgrade list? Or perhaps they just aren't offering. Curious.

Thanks for any help or opinions!
Which flight? Typically ZN>0 -> $299 ToD will be available, which seems highly likely for J6. Try checking in again on computer, another phone, or by calling Web Support.
Old Mar 15, 18, 5:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zagat2 View Post
Ask first if the empty seat is a safe assumption, standbys clear late and you can end up with a seat map at the last moment.
Domestic, but not international yet, you need to worry about Economy Basic passengers getting gate seat assignments. .
Old Mar 19, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Wife offered $169 on EWR-DFW on an M fare. Declined...sitting at #3 on the upgrade list as a 1K on an M fare...sheesh.
Old Mar 20, 18, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I know the change fee is waived for a buy-up of the same exact reservation. Has anyone had luck recently getting the change fee waived for a same-day buy-up — i.e., the same itinerary on the same day, but at a different time? The buy-up for my current reservation is $600 but it's only $160 (plus $200 change fee) for the wide-open flights three hours later. (There are only three E+ seats booked on the later flights, so there's almost no chance UA can or will sell the buy-ups to the current booked pax.) Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 18, 5:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
I know the change fee is waived for a buy-up of the same exact reservation. Has anyone had luck recently getting the change fee waived for a same-day buy-up i.e., the same itinerary on the same day, but at a different time? ...
I can only report multiple failures -- have tried at least 3 times in past couple of years with no success. Flight changes don't qualify. But you could get lucky.
Old Mar 20, 18, 5:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 22, 18, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
SFO-LAX tomorrow, the first leg of a 'mixed cabin' award booking into XN. Offer of $89 with 2 seats left in F, possible overbooking of Y (still selling it, but asked for volunteers at checkin). I normally wouldn't for such a short flight, but this is vacation so I figured why not. Interestingly, it now shows me booked in P for that segment. I can't imagine that'll stick, but if they want to give me a handful of PQM and PQD for buying up on an award seat that's fine by me
Old Mar 22, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Upgrade to first LAS-DEN this afternoon for $919. Um, no.
Old Mar 22, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zymm View Post
SFO-LAX tomorrow, the first leg of a 'mixed cabin' award booking into XN. Offer of $89 with 2 seats left in F, possible overbooking of Y (still selling it, but asked for volunteers at checkin). I normally wouldn't for such a short flight, but this is vacation so I figured why not. Interestingly, it now shows me booked in P for that segment. I can't imagine that'll stick, but if they want to give me a handful of PQM and PQD for buying up on an award seat that's fine by me
I recently booked EWR-BTV, a 266 mile flight, and was also offered $89 buy up. It also booked me into P. Although mine wasn't from an award ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: