Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Old Apr 13, 2024, 9:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I found the wiki to be a bit hard to follow since there are so many strike outs?

If I have to buy Economy for work, and I want to upgrade to F (or PE) and want to get miles and PQP, and be able to change flights. Do all the upgrade paths get that or do I need to call in and change the class- and are their ‘magic words’ I need to say to the agent to make sure that I’m getting everything.
Cash upgrades only earn PQPs , no miles.

Only way to get miles is to up-fare. Change the ticket to the new fare.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bob12403
Semi-hypothetical question from a buyup newbie: Let's say I've already purchased a coach fare on a UA flight for $600. Some time later I buyup to Premium Plus for another $349. Then day of flight I'm offered a buyup to Polaris for, let's say, $4000. Would I be dinged the full $4000 on top of the $349 PP upgrade already paid?

Or would the $349 be applied to the Polaris buyup, such that my additional cost for the Polaris buyup would be $3651? If so, would that happen at time of purchase, or would I pay the full $4000 and the $349 would be refunded sometime after the flight?
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Full 4k no refund I think
Agreed. In bob's hypothetical, the $349 put him in PP so the DOD offer is a buyup from PP to J. Had he forgone the initial buyup, he would probably have been offered a different, higher DOD price to buyup from E to J.
Old Yesterday, 1:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Two days ago I purchased a one way Y ticket through work OTA on work credit card.

Earlier this morning, I paid $200 on my personal credit card to up fare from Y to P for this 3 leg domestic itinerary.

Unfortunately, I just found out that I now have to attend a funeral for a police offer who suffered a line of duty death and won't be taking this trip at all.

The original Y booking (on company card) was refundable ticket.

Is there anyway to recoup my $200 I spent this morning?

I really don't care that much about it to be honest, but I figure it was worth a post here.

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Two days ago I purchased a one way Y ticket through work OTA on work credit card.

Earlier this morning, I paid $200 on my personal credit card to up fare from Y to P for this 3 leg domestic itinerary.
The original Y booking (on company card) was refundable ticket.

Is there anyway to recoup my $200 I spent this morning? ...
The PCUs (cash upgrade) are clearly marked as non-refundable for voluntary changes. The fact the base fare was refundable does not change that.

If a GS or other high elite, you may be able to get a agent to re-use the $200 for another PCU. On rare occasions refunds have been offered, so appears the phone agent has some discretion --- but the published policy is no refunds on voluntary changes.
Old Yesterday, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The PCUs (cash upgrade) are clearly marked as non-refundable for voluntary changes. The fact the base fare was refundable does not change that.

If a GS or other high elite, you may be able to get a agent to re-use the $200 for another PCU. On rare occasions refunds have been offered, so appears the phone agent has some discretion --- but the published policy is no refunds on voluntary changes.
Thanks Wine. Does it make a difference if I went through the "Change Flight" dialogue and manually entered P fare class vs doing PCU? I was under the impression those were two different things (sometimes I see different prices and "change flight" is often cheaper for me than PCU...?) but perhaps I am wrong.

I appreciate the insight.
Old Yesterday, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Thanks Wine. Does it make a difference if I went through the "Change Flight" dialogue and manually entered P fare class vs doing PCU? I was under the impression those were two different things (sometimes I see different prices and "change flight" is often cheaper for me than PCU...?) but perhaps I am wrong.

I appreciate the insight.
Sorry I missed the up-fare comment.

It is very likely you up-fared to a non-refundable fare, made the entire ticket / fare nonrefundable. Did it say refundable at the upfare purchase. Change ticket is know for this little unseen changes. What does the endorsement line on the ticket state..

If non=refundable, on cancellation you will receive a single FFC for the combined amount

Your corporate TA may be upset with this.
If a corporate credit card was used to purchased the original ticket, They may ask for you to payback that original purchase price which will now be in your name.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
X class on an singaporeair award ticket

Hi, I'm booked in x class on a Singapore Air award ticket. Any chance I'll receive an upsell offer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.