Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I am flying EWR-ORD tomorrow on 772 and got an offer to upgrade from Y to F (3-Class plane) for $259. Went for it given the weather looks a bit iffy and no good seats in C available (only middles available with the 2-4-2 layout).

Adam
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Buy up if Miles upgrade requested?

Can't find this specific fact pattern using search (probably not searching correctly) so here's my question: is the ability to buy a paid upgrade blocked when you have a waitlisted mileage upgrade on a domestic ticket?

We have paid r/t domestic tickets in economy, and requested an upgrade using miles at the time of purchase. At the time of purchase the "paid" upgrade was more than I wanted to pay. The mileage upgrade request was waitlisted and miles deducted. Fine. Several days later I check the reservation and I see the paid upgrade to domestic first has dropped to a price that I'm willing to pay, so I click the button, go through the process of selecting seats in first, provide CC information and finish. I see a pending charge on my CC for that amount. So far so good. Several days later, I check the reservation and it shows us still in economy and waitlisted for first. The reservation is flagged with "there is a change to your reservation, please contact United Reservations" so I phone. Apparently the paid upgrade never went through and the CSA has no record of that transaction - she still shows the mileage upgrade as pending. I give her all the information on the charges, she checks with a supervisor, etc. etc.

So here's my question: is a paid upgrade blocked when you have a waitlisted mileage upgrade? That would seem to be crazy but this is the second time this exact fact pattern has happened to me in two weeks on domestic flights. It would seem crazy that United would prevent itself from taking my money but that appears to be what's going on. Is the answer to never request a mileage upgrade unless its going to clear immediately?

I'm Platinum if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any thoughts or experience!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Can't find this specific fact pattern using search (probably not searching correctly) so here's my question: is the ability to buy a paid upgrade blocked when you have a waitlisted mileage upgrade on a domestic ticket?

We have paid r/t domestic tickets in economy, and requested an upgrade using miles at the time of purchase. At the time of purchase the "paid" upgrade was more than I wanted to pay. The mileage upgrade request was waitlisted and miles deducted. Fine. Several days later I check the reservation and I see the paid upgrade to domestic first has dropped to a price that I'm willing to pay, so I click the button, go through the process of selecting seats in first, provide CC information and finish. I see a pending charge on my CC for that amount. So far so good. Several days later, I check the reservation and it shows us still in economy and waitlisted for first. The reservation is flagged with "there is a change to your reservation, please contact United Reservations" so I phone. Apparently the paid upgrade never went through and the CSA has no record of that transaction - she still shows the mileage upgrade as pending. I give her all the information on the charges, she checks with a supervisor, etc. etc.

So here's my question: is a paid upgrade blocked when you have a waitlisted mileage upgrade? That would seem to be crazy but this is the second time this exact fact pattern has happened to me in two weeks on domestic flights. It would seem crazy that United would prevent itself from taking my money but that appears to be what's going on. Is the answer to never request a mileage upgrade unless its going to clear immediately?

Not exactly the same issue as you went through, but I've noticed some glitches when trying to use $ to upgrade.

The other day I saw an insane offer for $28 to upgrade to F on my EWR-IAH flight. Obviously I jumped on it, but it wouldn't let me pay online. Called up united and they upgraded it for me no issues.

Long story short I think they have a lot of IT/system issues when trying to upgrade online.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:20 pm

Upgrade is not blocked becaused you are waitlisted. It's an IT glitch from my experience... and usually happens on lower than expected buy up offers from my experience...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
AUA-IAD upgrade offered for 4 of us at purchase for $409 each, no thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Upgrade is not blocked becaused you are waitlisted. It's an IT glitch from my experience... and usually happens on lower than expected buy up offers from my experience...

Thanks folks, yeah that makes sense. both times the upgrade offer was less than it had been earlier, although not crazy cheap - $179 pp in my example of IND - SFO, about a four hour flight. Just frustrating bait and switch, plus requiring me to phone them and spend time on hold to fix their issue.

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Dec 9, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drew in the air
The same IT glitch happened to me when I tried to take advantage of an offer of $829 for an upgrade from Economy+ to Polaris Business on a EWR-EDI flight. It would not take my credit card. It took one phone call to get the upgrade.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Checked in today for BOS to IAH on a K class fare. Got an offer to upgrade for $1509 for 3-1/2 flight. Declined, thank you.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
What UA2047 BOS-EWR buy up is being offered for 12/12/17: How much would you pay to upgrade into "F" for a 201mi flight blocked at 1 hr 33 min????

David

Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yikes! Drop the first digit and that's more in line with what they typically offer me!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou

Back when I would waitlist, I found that to be routinely the case. Although you could call in and ask, or, if it was a GG-BUYUP (not a special upgrade offer, but the price for first or business just dropped a lot), you could use the change flight option online. But this is one of the reasons that I rarely apply a certificate or upgrade for miles unless R is already available or I don't really care because the flight is short. Another is that even if R does become available, upgrade requests do not automatically clear for a day or so, and someone else might easily jump ahead of you by calling in or applying a mileage or certificate online before the pending upgrade requests clear. Because I would do that.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
What UA2047 BOS-EWR buy up is being offered for 12/12/17: How much would you pay to upgrade into "F" for a 201mi flight blocked at 1 hr 33 min????
I'm guessing there weren't any takers on that one
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing there weren't any takers on that one
Not that I can tell. Sitting one the plane right now and 4 have gotten check marks besides the 1 person who'd been upgraded around 96hr. So probably a misconnect, a SDC and 4 get upgraded to the front. I'll probably die on the list at number 5.

David

correction - 20F just got 2F so another misconnect or SDC. woo-hoo - up to #4 !
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BHM-ORD-IAD-RDU
W Fare on the first two flights, T on the last
No Status
At Check In: $119 for ORD-IAD, $79 for IAD-RDU. An hour later IAD-RDU dropped to $59
Declined
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
EWR-TPA
K Fare up to P
Just shy of silver
At check in : $119 accepted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.