Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:51 am

Sat Nov 18
SFO-SYD UA863 departed ~2 hours late, due to be landing at SYD's Kingsford Smith Aerodrome at 11:00

STD of 23:05 became 23:25, then 23:30, then 23:55 before pushing back at 00:55

as a result

Mon Nov 20
SYD-SFO UA840 to depart 50 minutes late at 12:10

This certainly must have come close to 'timing out' since it did not get off the ground for almost another 30 minutes.

Curiously with the SYD departures of LAX 840 at 11:20 and SFO 870 at 11:50 UAL have chosen (so far) to keep the late aeroplane slated to fly the 'earlier' departure to LAX when sometimes the aeroplanes slated to fly a specific route (SFO or LAX) from SYD have been swapped to get them both out close to time. Perhaps since the late aeroplane is slated to fly LAX-MEL on Monday Night giving them 12+ hours on the ground at LAX there is method to the madness if there is some specific maintenance required and the late night departure gives them the opportunity to perform the maintenance. (I am only speculating and it remains to be seen if the 12:10 departure of 840 sticks)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
I'm on 840 monday and noticed the delayed departure of 863 to become 840 tomorrow... shall see if the 12.10pm departure time holds... Boarding both 870 and 840 within 20 minutes should be fun...

Originally Posted by Aspen
Sat Nov 18
SFO-SYD UA863 departed ~2 hours late, due to be landing at SYD's Kingsford Smith Aerodrome at 11:00

STD of 23:05 became 23:25, then 23:30, then 23:55 before pushing back at 00:55

as a result

Mon Nov 20
SYD-SFO UA840 to depart 50 minutes late at 12:10

This certainly must have come close to 'timing out' since it did not get off the ground for almost another 30 minutes.

Curiously with the SYD departures of LAX 840 at 11:20 and SFO 870 at 11:50 UAL have chosen (so far) to keep the late aeroplane slated to fly the 'earlier' departure to LAX when sometimes the aeroplanes slated to fly a specific route (SFO or LAX) from SYD have been swapped to get them both out close to time. Perhaps since the late aeroplane is slated to fly LAX-MEL on Monday Night giving them 12+ hours on the ground at LAX there is method to the madness if there is some specific maintenance required and the late night departure gives them the opportunity to perform the maintenance. (I am only speculating and it remains to be seen if the 12:10 departure of 840 sticks)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA2 SIN-SFO 789 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cfischer
Any ideas on how they are protecting pax?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by pbartp
Most likely on UA38 SIN-LAX which leaves slightly later.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I don't believe this was already posted, though if so, forgive the dupe (this new FT layout is not good..)

UA31, a B767-300ER (N653UA), flying MUC-EWR has diverted to and canceled at LHR. This link advised pax were being given hotels and food vouchers. Claims the diversion was for a medical reason, though didn't expand beyond that. Unknown if multiple pax were sick/injured or...

There is a 1400 departure, with the flight # 2714, tomorrow ex-LHR. Can't say if that is going to be the "rescue flight" or not.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
(Tue Nov 21)

Originally Posted by pbartp
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Most likely on UA38 SIN-LAX which leaves slightly later.
According to FlightRadar24 Nov 21 UA38 was operated by the aeroplane that was initially slated to operate the cancelled UA2 (Nov 21)

I cannot attest to the accuracy of this because FR24 also says UA2 on Nov 22 was operated by an A320
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I don't believe this was already posted, though if so, forgive the dupe (this new FT layout is not good..)

UA31, a B767-300ER (N653UA), flying MUC-EWR has diverted to and canceled at LHR. This link advised pax were being given hotels and food vouchers. Claims the diversion was for a medical reason, though didn't expand beyond that. Unknown if multiple pax were sick/injured or...

There is a 1400 departure, with the flight # 2714, tomorrow ex-LHR. Can't say if that is going to be the "rescue flight" or not.
The 14:00 departure with the atypical flight number is being operated by N659UA, which was originally scheduled to operate the 16:05 departure.

The diverted airframe N653UA is now scheduled to operate the 16:05 flight tomorrow #941 , which is already delayed 275 minutes with estimated departure 20:40. The tail number was changed from N659UA to N653UA and the delay was posted at the same time, around 13:00 LHR, about two hours after the diversion landed.

Not sure the motivation of switching those two flights, or how they are shuffling crew...the 275-minute delay is for a flight departing over 24 hours after the diversion so I don't think that is a crew rest issue. If it was mechanical I doubt they would post a firm delay this far ahead of time. Unless maybe they are waiting for a part with a firm ETA? And this would be a coincidental mechanical unrelated to the medical diversion,

Maybe the original MUC crew was deadheaded home and they have to fly out a new crew, and then give them 10 hours rest? Not sure they would swap the identical airframes for a crew issue, so not sure what's going on here. ua.com just says "Delayed due to operational difficulties".

I guess they didn't want to swap the delayed airframe in for the 18:00 departure (which would have been a smaller delay) because that's a 767-400 instead of -300.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
UA949 LHR-SFO on November 25 left 23 hours and 30 minutes late. I was on the flight. First it was something to do with the manual steering, then a starter motor. I think they said there were three things, then they showed us as going LHR-EWR and then they needed to take all the passengers off to meet EU requirements and we sat on buses until we then went through Arrivals.

They did give us vouchers for a hotel with a UK 0800 number to call that was not set up for a couple of hours after they gave us the letter. I went upstairs to get my SFO-SAN leg rebooked but they did copy across the manifest so we kept our original seats.

They gave us vouchers for the Hoppa buses that meant long lines as they are quite small buses. I made the most of the extra night as my sister lives in London but they told us 8am departure which made for an early morming when in fact we did not depart until 9am - would have loved the extra hour of sleep.

We arrived in SFO to sit for 30 minutes at not quite the gate as there was no ground staff.

I will however make my SFO-SAN flight as it is currently 2.5 hours late.

Did not see anything posted about this delay.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:30 am

UA 83 from DEL-EWR for Nov 26th Sunday delayed by 19 hours.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
UA949 LHR-SFO on November 25 left 23 hours and 30 minutes late. I was on the flight. First it was something to do with the manual steering, then a starter motor. I think they said there were three things, then they showed us as going LHR-EWR and then they needed to take all the passengers off to meet EU requirements and we sat on buses until we then went through Arrivals.

They did give us vouchers for a hotel with a UK 0800 number to call that was not set up for a couple of hours after they gave us the letter. I went upstairs to get my SFO-SAN leg rebooked but they did copy across the manifest so we kept our original seats.

They gave us vouchers for the Hoppa buses that meant long lines as they are quite small buses. I made the most of the extra night as my sister lives in London but they told us 8am departure which made for an early morming when in fact we did not depart until 9am - would have loved the extra hour of sleep.

We arrived in SFO to sit for 30 minutes at not quite the gate as there was no ground staff.

I will however make my SFO-SAN flight as it is currently 2.5 hours late.

Did not see anything posted about this delay.
Don't forget to claim EU261 compensation.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Don't forget to claim EU261 compensation.
Thank you Solver Fox, in the middle of that at the moment but did first send in the compliment about the FAs and the lone agent on the LHR service desk (upstairs in departures). Interestingly United provided a typed document to every passenger about their rights for compensation, in addition to the notice at time of check-in.

United also had the letter for the hotel and the passes for the Hoppa Bus quite quickly in the baggage hall with the only disappointment being the "dedicated" 0800 number did not work for a couple of hours for those of trying to rebook the connecting flights and 1K knew nothing about the delay so I went to the service desk in the departure area (upstairs at LHR) and there was one agent on the desk to deal with the long line of customers - the check-in staff (not checking in anyone) were unable to assist us and did think they should have deployed another agent to the service desk. In fairness there were three agents in the pre-arrivals area but as we needed to go back through immigration and customs and collect our luggage they were not really in the right location and there should have been one agent there for those without luggage as there were very few options available for rebooking from LHR. They handed out the letters/vouchers in the baggage area but met a number of people who bypassed the baggage area and were in the line for the service desk (LHR upstairs) - most of us in the line were seasoned travelers and knew this was where we would get help (after most of had tried calling the help desks). The dedicated 0800 number was a great idea but needed to be actioned sooner. United gets better at handling IRROPS - kaizen/CI in action.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Today's (Nov 27th) UA135 ZRH - EWR is suffering quite a delay currently estimated to be ten hours and five minutes late due to "operational difficulties" - looks like a crew member got sick and needed to be replaced by a deadhead as the plane arrived pretty much on time this morning and was then parked at a remote stand. Saw the plane parked there when I arrived on Eurowings around noon in Zurich also using an outfield-position close to it...

[Edit] Just met a crew-member of that flight in my hotel and overheard that they lack a member of the cockpit-crew, so someone from the originally assigned crew got sick, and now they need to account for minimum rest periods. Seems it's not sure that they find someone, though, as that person waved good-bye saying "see you next time, or maybe later tonight"...

Greetings - Dirk

Last edited by djohannw; Nov 27, 2017 at 10:22 am Reason: Edited to add more evidence to my speculation...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:40 am

when does a free ticket turn into a regret?

Why when it's a United Airlines ticket, of course. I got my daughter a flight Newark-Madrid. She rushes to the airport from NY, gets to the gate, anticipating the beginning of a residency she had won earlier this year. But then that wonderful UA chaos ensues: the flight will be 2 hrs late; No, wait, make that 5 hrs. You see, we forgot to do that darn 'airline maintenance'. Such a PIA! Then comes a notification that there will actually be an 8 hr delay. At some point a live person shows up to distribute $10 meal coupons. LOL. I'll spare you the rest but it's remarkable that United just keeps getting worse. I have around 900,000 miles flown with them. Over the years, I thought surely they had reached bottom. Alas, that was not the case.
Further reading:
https://www.airlineratings.com/passe...ited-airlines/
http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...airline-2017-4
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Nice to know that this is unique to United and no other airline has ever experienced a flight delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.