Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:20 pm

10/24: UA110 EWR-LHR 763 delayed 4 hours 26 mins due to maintenance.
10/24: UA926 SFO-FRA 744 delayed 2 hours 2 mins due to maintenance. A friend on this flight said it's due to a fuel loading issue.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA836 27Oct17 PVG-ORD 777-200ER. Multiple issues causing a rolling delay. The GS agent at the gate whispered there was the risk of a cancellation. But in the end, they found the part needed, and we departed just under two hours late.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by sfo789
Sounds about right for a 4h delay in Y; if J, I think you could write in and get a little more. Was DEN your final destination? If you got pushed from (ex.) a 9p arrival to a 1a/6a arrival (b/c forced onto a significantly later connection), that would probably be grounds for more, and the site isn't ime intelligent enough to make that differentiation automatically.
Thank you for the good advice ... I took it and my wife and I each received a $600 e-cert from United. Although DEN was our final destination, I wrote in and explained that I had upgraded (30k + $600 each) so we could sleep and somewhat switch time zones by treating NRT-DEN as redeye, but were prevented from doing so by the diversion, layover, and delay. I am pleasantly surprised and appreciate UA's willingness to provide credits to cover the cash portion of our upgrade cost. Thanks again sfo789 for the advice.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
UA 1032 on Oct. 24 from IAH to PTY diverted to SJO due to rain at PTY. It was supposed to be a quick refuel in SJO, but the pilot came on to say that immigration was being slow to clear the flight for departure — everyone had stayed on the plane, so it seemed like some sort of bureaucratic nonsense — and then, a few minutes later, he was back on again to say he and his co-pilot had timed out.

Everyone then deplaned and luggage was unloaded, with pax told they'd be bused to a hotel, presumably for a next-day departure. Everyone cleared immigration and customs and waited in a group. Then, maybe 15 minutes later, the plan changed and we were told the flight would be going out at 7:30 PM, so everyone headed right back upstairs to check in again and re-check luggage.

When everything was said and done, what was supposed to be a 2:30 PM arrival in PTY turned into an 8:00 PM departure from SJO and a ~10:00 PM arrival in PTY (one-hour flight, plus change of time zone).

UA provided $10 vouchers in SJO, which covered about half the cost of an airport meal, and then, to my surprise, paid for the Riu airport hotel for passengers who had missed connecting flights, which appeared to be about a third of the pax.

The odd thing was that all pax were essentially sequestered/detained even after clearing immigration, with pax not being allowed to pursue other flight options and the local UA staff not doing anything to rebook anyone from SJO. With Copa a UA partner, it seemed like the SJO-PTY Copa flights should have been an option instead of the original insistence that everyone had to stay overnight and then fly together to PTY. (UA obviously needed its plane to get back to PTY to fly its next PTY-IAH flight, so keeping everyone together was the easiest and cheapest option for UA, but it didn't seem like a very customer-friendly approach.)

Last edited by joe_miami; Oct 28, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:30 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
10/28 UA 932 IAD - FRA delayed for 2:30 hours for unspecified "mechanical issues." Plane swapped. On landing in FRA pilot said that the crew did not feel that the original aircraft was safe to fly "across an ocean."
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA 107 29-Oct On-board fire -- divered to BOS

http://www.airlive.net/breaking-unit...logan-airport/
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Scuttlebutt says oven fire. Not at all official.

I hope everyone's fine, it looks like slides were deployed, but does anyone know if they actually evac'd on the tarmac?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
To save others the time. MUC-IAD. 772
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
According to AVHerald, small galley fire that occurred 100 minutes before landing so fairly clearly was well under control at the time of landing.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yesterday's

UA104 GRU-IAH 763 3 hrs late due to aircraft maintenance
UA106 IAD-MUC 772 3 hrs late due to aircraft maintenance
UA107 MUC-IAD 772 diverted to BOS and cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA105 IAH-GRU 763 1/2 hr late due to aircraft maintenance
UA846 SCL-IAH 763 3 hrs late due to aircraft maintenance
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
UA107 MUC-IAD 772 diverted to BOS and cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Where "aircraft maintenance" means "galley fire"...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
1-Nov UA47 FRA-IAH delayed 3 hours 50 minutes for aircraft maintenance; new arrival at IAH 10:59pm.
1-Nov UA5 IAH-LHR on same aircraft still says "On Schedule" departing IAH at 9:20pm.

Is there a chance they will substitute another plane? Is that why UA5 still says "On Schedule" when that's obviously not physically possible if they intend to use the same plane? Or is UA5 going to be severely delayed? This has happened the last two times I've taken this flight.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindaiah
Is there a chance they will substitute another plane? Is that why UA5 still says "On Schedule" when that's obviously not physically possible if they intend to use the same plane? Or is UA5 going to be severely delayed? This has happened the last two times I've taken this flight.
Yes, it's possible they'll substitute another plane. They likely haven't made that decision yet.

IME, they won't update downline flights until the previous flight has actually departed and they have a more firm arrival estimate, so the fact that IAH-LHR is listed as on time isn't indicative of anything in particular.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
1-Nov UA47 FRA-IAH delayed 3 hours 50 minutes for aircraft maintenance; new arrival at IAH 10:59pm.
1-Nov UA5 IAH-LHR on same aircraft still says "On Schedule" departing IAH at 9:20pm.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, it's possible they'll substitute another plane. They likely haven't made that decision yet.

IME, they won't update downline flights until the previous flight has actually departed and they have a more firm arrival estimate, so the fact that IAH-LHR is listed as on time isn't indicative of anything in particular.
Ok, now I'm really confused. It looks like they have indeed substituted (flight status for UA5 says new plane arrived from LHR yesterday and UA5 still showing "On Schedule." However the aircraft number is the same (#3001) as the plane from FRA that is now over 22 hours late. ??? I'm going to write that off as a website glitch and hope for the best.
If UA5 leaves on time tonight I won't complain and I'll be very happy about it all....but this is confusing! How they keep track of all of this is a mystery to me...

EDIT: Ok, the arriving flight information has been updated; UA5 aircraft is arriving from LHR on time this evening (UA4) aircraft #3007 . Great news!

Last edited by lindaiah; Nov 1, 2017 at 12:23 pm Reason: New info
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ok, now I'm really confused. It looks like they have indeed substituted (flight status for UA5 says new plane arrived from LHR yesterday and UA5 still showing "On Schedule." However the aircraft number is the same (#3001) as the plane from FRA that is now over 22 hours late. ??? I'm going to write that off as a website glitch and hope for the best.
If UA5 leaves on time tonight I won't complain and I'll be very happy about it all....but this is confusing! How they keep track of all of this is a mystery to me...
Currently assigned to N74007 (#3007) which is in the air LHR-IAH and should be able to turn without difficulty for an on-time departure.

The bottom line is that they don't firm up frame assignments until quite close to departure, and are free to swap things around to try to keep the whole picture together. It is indeed complicated: they have a whole floor of people in Chicago dedicated to this 24/7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.