Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Last night's (6/12) UA956 EWR-GVA looks like it was diverted back to EWR about an hour after takeoff, landing at 8:55pm.

It then looks like there was an aircraft swap for the flight, and that aircraft took off at 11:38pm. That flight returned to EWR less than an hour later, landing 12:18am 6/13.

Am I reading this correctly? Did the same flight get diverted twice in one night?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brenc3
Last night's (6/12) UA956 EWR-GVA looks like it was diverted back to EWR about an hour after takeoff, landing at 8:55pm.

It then looks like there was an aircraft swap for the flight, and that aircraft took off at 11:38pm. That flight returned to EWR less than an hour later, landing 12:18am 6/13.

Am I reading this correctly? Did the same flight get diverted twice in one night?
wow, yeah. Absolutely pathetic showing from UA once again. I hope all pax got a substantial compensation for this screw up.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:22 pm

UA956

http://avherald.com/h?article=4aa49798

Loss of pressure, turned back. Replacement aircraft had a problem and turned back too. Fun day.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

this sounds lovely too

UA179 EWR-HKG 772

delayed 3 hours --> divert to SFO --> left gate in EWR --> returned to gate in EWR --> cancelled

Also

UA170 EWR-VCE 763 returned to gate and cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

therefor on Wednesday

UA169 VCE-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
UA 90 EWR to TLV on June 13th delayed 5 hours.

UA 85 TLV to EWR on June 16th estimated dep. 5:45 minutes late.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA179 EWR-HKG 772 left 1 hr late due to aircraft maintenance
UA901 SFO-LHR 772 90 mins late due to aircraft preparation
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The App said that it is delayed to 1 pm departure (2 h and 15 min). But it has not departed yet at this time (1:10 pm). Good luck.
I am monitoring this flight because I will be on this flight next Wednesday.

Edit: This flight is further delayed to 2:45 pm, 4 hours behind the schedule.
Edit 2: UA86 actually left at 8:30 pm, 9 h 45 min behind the schedule. PVG-EWR on July 9 will be delayed due to a late inbound airport. UA 87 will leave PVG at 11:45 pm and arrive at EWR at 2:00 am.
Saw this in the Taiwanese newspaper (which got it from its sister paper World Journal in the US): https://udn.com/news/story/6813/2528139 about UA 86 8 June.

I will translate later it sounds UA really screwed up on this one.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by username
Saw this in the Taiwanese newspaper (which got it from its sister paper World Journal in the US): https://udn.com/news/story/6813/2528139 about UA 86 8 June.

I will translate later it sounds UA really screwed up on this one.
Using google translate in the meantime:

https://translate.google.com/transla...139&edit-text=

Sounds like a lengthy delay and passengers upset over being called back and forth to the gate 4 times in the course of several hours. The fact that passengers couldn't speak or understand English impacted their ability to receive/use food vouchers and some had diabetes?

Not sure why UA didn't bring translators. I wouldn't say "UA really screwed up" (unless I'm missing something in the translation) but more of a "this was a bad delay handled poorly due to language barriers issues". It does sound like UA offered food vouchers.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Using google translate in the meantime:

https://translate.google.com/transla...139&edit-text=

Sounds like a lengthy delay and passengers upset over being called back and forth to the gate 4 times in the course of several hours. The fact that passengers couldn't speak or understand English impacted their ability to receive/use food vouchers and some had diabetes?

Not sure why UA didn't bring translators. I wouldn't say "UA really screwed up" (unless I'm missing something in the translation) but more of a "this was a bad delay handled poorly due to language barriers issues". It does sound like UA offered food vouchers.
Yes. Basically, according to the article:

1 - Original departure 10:45 AM. Half way into boarding at Gate 108, it was suspended due to "food storage door broken"
2 - Moved to 102
3 - Moved back to 108
4 - Finally boarded at 3 PM
5 - Crew problem started ("not enough crew")
6 - Took off around 9:30 PM

Passenger complaints:

1 - Gate changed 4 times
2 - Crew changed 3 times
3 - Food voucher ($10) was not offered until passengers complained
4 - Arrogant attitude from agents, did not provide food/drink, manager refused to appear at the gate to talk to the passengers
5 - Promised transport upon arrival to PVG (since public transit would be closed) not delivered

There were elderly and sick passengers that suffered.

Compensation offered was US$1000 voucher or 50,000 miles. Passengers are forming their own Internet e-mail group to get a lawyer to get more compensation.

Here is another article with more details: http://dailynews.sina.com/bg/news/in...497908770.html

According to this one:

1 - boarding at 3 PM was sudden, many had no time to use their voucher yet (and frankly, what can you get with $10 at OTG EWR)?
2 - missing a crew member - waited another 1/2 hour
3 - started taxi-ing and then realized 5 crew members were timing out - returned to gate
4 - while they were replacing the 5 members, they realized another 4 were timing out
5 - they were stuck on the plane from the 3:00 PM boarding until the plane finally departed at 9:30 PM
6 - no food or drink offered while they were on the plane
7 - passengers were not allowed to deplane - 1 non-Chinese and 1 Chinese person insisted and got off
8 - departed 9:30P, took off 10:00P

At the end of this one, it talks about the lawyer writing to Elaine Chao (who is from Taiwan and the Secretary of Transportation) the Dr. Dao incident.

Last edited by username; Jun 16, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by username
Yes. Basically, according to the article:

1 - Original departure 10:45 AM. Half way into boarding at Gate 108, it was suspended due to "food storage door broken"
2 - Moved to 102
3 - Moved back to 108
4 - Finally boarded at 3 PM
5 - Crew problem started ("not enough crew")
6 - Took off around 9:30 PM

Passenger complaints:

1 - Gate changed 4 times
2 - Crew changed 3 times
3 - Food voucher ($10) was not offered until passengers complained
4 - Arrogant attitude from agents, did not provide food/drink, manager refused to appear at the gate to talk to the passengers
5 - Promised transport upon arrival to PVG (since public transit would be closed) not delivered

There were elderly and sick passengers that suffered.

Compensation offered was US$1000 voucher or 50,000 miles. Passengers are forming their own Internet e-mail group to get a lawyer to get more compensation.

Here is another article in Simplified Chinese that has more details: http://www.wenxuecity.com/news/2017/06/14/6312449.html

According to this one:

1 - boarding at 3 PM was sudden, many had no time to use their voucher yet (and frankly, what can you get with $10 at OTG EWR)?
2 - they were stuck on the plane from the 3:00 PM boarding until the plane finally departed at 9:30 PM
3 - no food or drink offered while they were on the plane
4 - passengers were not allowed to deplane - 1 non-Chinese and 1 Chinese person insisted and got off

At the end of this one, it talks about the lawyer writing to Elaine Chao (who is from Taiwan and the Secretary of Transportation) the Dr. Dao incident.
I think 50,000 miles are a $1000 travel credit is more than enough for an 11 hours delay. UA fulfilled their end of the CoC
-Delay was not overnight so no hotel is required
-UA provided a meal voucher.

I also will wait for judgement on UA if they had pax sit on the plan for 6 hours, if they did they would be on violation of the tarmac delay rules. Also if people start suing UA for delays then what is next, you were stuck in a middle seat all the way to PVG and want money??
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
I think 50,000 miles are a $1000 travel credit is more than enough for an 11 hours delay. UA fulfilled their end of the CoC
I was recently delayed 11 hours EWR-HKG and was given $400 ETC or 20,000 miles so this was rather generous.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I also will wait for judgement on UA if they had pax sit on the plan for 6 hours, if they did they would be on violation of the tarmac delay rules.
Having remaining currency and extra medication should be the responsibility of the passengers. However, if people with diabetes or whatever else are prevented from reasonable opportunity to obtain or be served food, that's a severe violation.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Having remaining currency and extra medication should be the responsibility of the passengers. However, if people with diabetes or whatever else are prevented from reasonable opportunity to obtain or be served food, that's a severe violation.
Did anyone request to deplane to get food? I also find it extremely hard to believe that the FAs would not provide any drink on the plane during a 6 hour delay, and that if someone had diabetes and asked for food the FA would say no, UA FAs can sometimes be indifferent to pax but I doubt all 10+ on the plane would be heartless.

Also, I am still questioning the timeline because UA by law can't board with out the minimum required crew onboard. It is either (a) pax are exaggerating timelines of (b) UA really screwed up. As there has been no news coverage of this would tens to lean towards (a) but will reserve judgement until all the facts come out.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Did anyone request to deplane to get food? I also find it extremely hard to believe that the FAs would not provide any drink on the plane during a 6 hour delay, and that if someone had diabetes and asked for food the FA would say no, UA FAs can sometimes be indifferent to pax but I doubt all 10+ on the plane would be heartless.
You'll notice in the timeline that there was probably something "happening soon" all through the 10 hours of delay and each of those "soon" events could definitely lead to "we can't do anything now". Adding to the lack of information (esp. in Chinese), it could easily lead to big fines and/or big lawsuits.

Also, I am still questioning the timeline because UA by law can't board with out the minimum required crew onboard. It is either (a) pax are exaggerating timelines of (b) UA really screwed up. As there has been no news coverage of this would tens to lean towards (a) but will reserve judgement until all the facts come out.
You can have adequate crew on board, but they can't go with the plane when it departs due to time-out. They're not beyond duty time to stay on board on the ground.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow

UA55 CDG-EWR 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA127 DUB-IAD 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA1171 AUA-IAH 738 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

Last edited by cfischer; Jun 17, 2017 at 6:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.