Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
UA is down a 777-200 on the TPAC routes right now it seems.
ORD-PVG, EWR-PVG, EWR-PEK, ORD-NRT, EWR-NRT, EWR-HKG and IAD-PEK (will switch to B789 soon) use B772 in addition to ORD-HKG.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Kmxu
ORD-PVG, EWR-PVG, EWR-PEK, ORD-NRT, EWR-NRT, EWR-HKG and IAD-PEK (will switch to B789 soon) use B772 in addition to ORD-HKG.
Umm, ok, thanks?! I didn't ask what routes UA flies the B777 on. I simply made a comment that they are down one right now because ORD-HKG was delayed 20+ hours which cancelled out HKG-SIN and SIN-HKG. The return HKG-ORD on 09Oct is 6+ hours delayed.

-RM
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

UA895 ORD-HKG on 07Oct is taking an estimated 21.5 hour delay from 1330 07Oct to 1100 08Oct due to maintenance

-RM
Gruesome story for sure, left the gate 3 times and came back 3 times. Finally off he ground the next day 23+ hours late. Looks like it was swapped to the new Polaris aircraft.

Flyer Friendly.

Originally Posted by supergriff34
Great im on hkg to ord on the 10th
How does it impact you?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 3:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:55 pm

At this point im not impacted. Hoping it stays that way.

Last edited by supergriff34; Oct 9, 2017 at 12:26 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Gruesome story for sure, left the gate 3 times and came back 3 times. Finally off he ground the next day 23+ hours late. Looks like it was swapped to the new Polaris aircraft.
Damn, such a pity to waste the 777-300. The return HKG-ORD (which is now posting an 8 hour delay due to the late inbound) is empty. Booked to 5 in business and about 10 in coach total.

-RM
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10/5 UA 135 ZRH-EWR, diverted to YQX / Gander.
Strangely, this was operated by a 752 (!), which might have forced a fuel stop.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
10/5 UA 135 ZRH-EWR, diverted to YQX / Gander.
Strangely, this was operated by a 752 (!), which might have forced a fuel stop.
Why so strange? Today is a public holiday in NY & NJ - Columbus Day. United often pares its flights down on holidays.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Why so strange? Today is a public holiday in NY & NJ - Columbus Day. United often pares its flights down on holidays.
Actually, the flight date was THU 10/5 not today.
And a narrowbody into/out of ZRH, such as this one to EWR is not the norm at all. 764s usually are running ZRH-EWR/IAD, as they are today.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
What is up with UA857 SFO-PVG???

Curiosity for those here with more experience. I am booked on UA857 next week (SFO-PVG, operated by 789 but was 744 until last week).

I have been watching this flight for some time and the delays are consistent and in many cases extensive (UA857 is on-time just 40% of the time, avg. delay of 31 minutes). The delays don't seem to fit any pattern other than inbound aircraft arrives hours before departure time, flight shows on-time until T+2 minutes, and then delays begin and accumulate. The reasons stated in the UA app for delays seem to frequently be "severe weather in our network" or "network delays have caused ..." type reasons (rarely though sometimes "aircraft servicing ...").

What is unique about this flight and the delay pattern? My initial guesses seem disprovable: it would not seem to be equipment (arrivals have been delayed 51, 72, 33, and 103 minutes, respectively, since AC switched from 744 to 789, and lots of other 789 flights with good ratings); it would not seem to be PVG ATC/Chinese authorities (UA's later SFO-PVG and LAX-PVG flights each have good on-time ratings, and ORD-PVG is on-time 90%+); it would not seem to be ex-SFO issues (UA's SFO-HKG flight departs around same time and has good on-time rating, as does the later SFO-PVG flight).

Anything special driving UA857's on-time performance? Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:23 am

10/9 UA78 NRT-EWR diverted to ANC

10/10

UA135 ZRH-EWR canceled
UA71 AMS-EWR fuel stop in BGR (757)
UA55 CDG-EWR fuel stop in BGR (757)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
Curiosity for those here with more experience. I am booked on UA857 next week (SFO-PVG, operated by 789 but was 744 until last week).

What is unique about this flight and the delay pattern? My initial guesses seem disprovable: it would not seem to be equipment (arrivals have been delayed 51, 72, 33, and 103 minutes, respectively, since AC switched from 744 to 789, and lots of other 789 flights with good ratings); it would not seem to be PVG ATC/Chinese authorities (UA's later SFO-PVG and LAX-PVG flights each have good on-time ratings, and ORD-PVG is on-time 90%+); it would not seem to be ex-SFO issues (UA's SFO-HKG flight departs around same time and has good on-time rating, as does the later SFO-PVG flight).

Anything special driving UA857's on-time performance? Thanks.
I'd be cautious (and you were) in saying that it's not PVG ATC/Chinese authorities. It all depends on the time of day, when the flight is scheduled to get in, and what's going on in the airspace at that time. Even then, when flights are delayed in Chinese airspace, it is not a logical determination. I'll provide an example, three flights were scheduled (different carriers) from LAX-PVG and supposed to take off in the same 20 minutes of each other. To my knowledge, all three boarded, had appropriate staffing, catering, etc (based on coworkers reports). I was delayed by 2 hours due to "ATC". They were not. As far as I could tell, no additional bags were loaded, no staff/passengers were allowed to deplane or swap flights, etc. Equipment was there. Catering was there. Everything seemed fine. Logically, does it make sense? No. It could even be the short end of the straw.

HKG is different than PVG. Never experienced a delay into HKG for non-united reason.

That being said, I did fly this in the past month and a unique delay that irked me was the fact that United said it could not taxi a 747 to my gate because of the fact that there was congestion on SFO taxiways. For 2.5 hours. Despite the plane having been in the hanger since the night before. To my knowledge, no other plane departing SFO was delayed for a similar reason, even other 747 flights, only mine.

Not sure if any of this helps, just trying to show that sometimes, you can't find a pattern / cast blame on a certain reason. I've tried, and without getting someone to talk honestly about a flight and the reasons for its delay (your captain would be your best bet on the day of departure), you might not ever know or be able to predict how things will go.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
That being said, I did fly this in the past month and a unique delay that irked me was the fact that United said it could not taxi a 747 to my gate because of the fact that there was congestion on SFO taxiways. For 2.5 hours. Despite the plane having been in the hanger since the night before. To my knowledge, no other plane departing SFO was delayed for a similar reason, even other 747 flights, only mine.
Things I learned flying the 744 SFO-LHR not too long ago:

* The chronic delay despite half-empty planes was most likely due to London's morning fog forecast. LHR has a slot and curfew problem. My last 3 flights LAX-LHR arriving at noon they just make you do loops over England, but a 7 am arrival you get loops and also departure control time based on forecast reduced capacity.

* SFO I-G does have a gate crunch. They can't keep planes from Asia arriving 7-11 am at the gate for your 12-2 pm departure, so they have to tow each of them twice.

* SFO does have a taxiway congestion problem that's much worse after 2 pm than before. Listening to Channel 9, the taxi instructions were so step-by-step. Go a block and stop and wait and go again, all the way from G-gates to the mid-field runway intersections.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I'd be cautious (and you were) in saying that it's not PVG ATC/Chinese authorities. It all depends on the time of day, when the flight is scheduled to get in, and what's going on in the airspace at that time. Even then, when flights are delayed in Chinese airspace, it is not a logical determination. I'll provide an example, three flights were scheduled (different carriers) from LAX-PVG and supposed to take off in the same 20 minutes of each other. To my knowledge, all three boarded, had appropriate staffing, catering, etc (based on coworkers reports). I was delayed by 2 hours due to "ATC". They were not. As far as I could tell, no additional bags were loaded, no staff/passengers were allowed to deplane or swap flights, etc. Equipment was there. Catering was there. Everything seemed fine. Logically, does it make sense? No. It could even be the short end of the straw.

HKG is different than PVG. Never experienced a delay into HKG for non-united reason.

Not sure if any of this helps, just trying to show that sometimes, you can't find a pattern / cast blame on a certain reason. I've tried, and without getting someone to talk honestly about a flight and the reasons for its delay (your captain would be your best bet on the day of departure), you might not ever know or be able to predict how things will go.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your observations and thoughts. Your experience with the taxi issue fits well the pattern I observed in September of the 744 UA857 inexplicably (if one can use that word merely looking at the app and internet from afar) delay and delay and delay at SFO in September where no other UA 744 ex-SFO, no other ex-SFO TPAC, and no other SFO-PVG were delayed, and where the AC RONed or arrived SFO early that morning. Thanks again for weighing in.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA18 MXP-EWR 763 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:09 pm

UA 895 10.13 ORD-HKG returned to gate, departed 5 hr 46 min late, arrives 5 hr 23 min late. UA 895 10.14 HKG-SIN becomes a redeye, departs 4 hr 20 late (12.45a, arrives 4.07a).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.